• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,322 posts in this topic

The madness has started again with a CL 25 on fleabay. This book has only been listed one day...:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-25-Dec-1954-Fine-Beautiful-Matt-Baker-Cover-No-Reserve-/231276732879?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d92ae1cf

and Mr. Dukedog...TAR #42 for $725 BIN? Really? Does that make my VF- copy worth $2,000? :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teen-Age-Romances-42-St-John-March-1955-Matt-Baker-/121380183568?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c42d29e10

Now your copy of TAR is good for $1860 :headbang:

The madness has started again with a CL 25 on fleabay. This book has only been listed one day...:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-25-Dec-1954-Fine-Beautiful-Matt-Baker-Cover-No-Reserve-/231276732879?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d92ae1cf

and Mr. Dukedog...TAR #42 for $725 BIN? Really? Does that make my VF- copy worth $2,000? :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teen-Age-Romances-42-St-John-March-1955-Matt-Baker-/121380183568?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c42d29e10

Now your copy of TAR is good for $1860 :headbang:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It has to sell, first.

I don't think that matters...it's the feel-good price you put on stuff that's important... lol

The CL25 is now up to $610 with 2 days to go...I will not be bidding on that book, but i encourage everyone to put in a secret max bid of at least $2,000... hm

Edited by tricolorbrian

Now it looks like I was talking the book down in order to nab it ... but I was really on the fence right to the end. Finally decided not to pass up such a nice looking copy if it went for a reasonable price, which I think it did, although a little higher than I would have liked.

Don't know what the CGC graders will think of those tears if I end up submitting it. They may be production related. I was just looking at my copy of Blue Ribbon 4 (Teen-Age Diary Secrets) that has several Siamese pages, which resulted in somewhat similar looking tears:

IMG_0200_zpsccd4435d.jpg

IMG_0199_zps1e9f5c8c.jpg

Not crazy about it, but I guess eBay's scrambling of IDs is easily seen through by people who are willing to make the effort. I probably need to be more discreet from here on out. hm

I wouldn't worry about it...nobody can predict what anyone will do on fleaBay...

Right. No worries. I was just concerned that on this one people might think I was trying to manipulate expectations on a book that I intended to win. That wasn't what I was doing. (I should probably follow G.A.tor's example and not comment on auctions that I bid on.)

I put in an early $100 bid, which was clearly far too low to win the book. I put that bid in -- as I think I mentioned in an earlier post -- to generate a "Got Away" e-mail from eBay. I keep those so that if, say, a year from now I'm wondering what a book sold for I can search my inbox and find the price long after the book has dropped out of the eBay database. Entering the result in a spreadsheet would probably be better, but I'm waaay too disorganized for that.

At any rate, I wasn't going to bid again until Brian posted to the Romance thread about the Romantic Adventures book. I received an e-mail with that post and read his comment that the CL 25 was closing soon. Completely coincidentally -- as Brian can attest -- I was scanning some Bakers for a sales thread I'm thinking of running. Among the books was the Blue Ribbon with the Siamese pages that seemed to have resulted in tears similar to those on the CL 25.

Which, in turn, got me to look at the CL 25 again. If the CGC graders take a lenient view of those tears as being production related, I began to think that the CL 25 might be a $1,000 book, perhaps even more. So, I sniped in another bid and won it.

And that is probably a lot more than you wanted to know about how I spent my Sunday night! :D

:gossip: Listing some Bakers over on the G/S/B sales thread.

You Pimp :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

GLWTS

Just consider it a service I'm happy to provide! :D

If you were the underbidder on that CL 25 auction, the seller may be contacting you. You can PM me for details if you are of a mind to.

Just took a look at that scan. Obvious color touch on the spine. :(

If you were the underbidder on that CL 25 auction, the seller may be contacting you. You can PM me for details if you are of a mind to.

Just took a look at that scan. Obvious color touch on the spine. :(

... and IMO, top edge looks a bit wonky as well.