• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

There's also a gorgeous True Love Pictorial #2 CGC 7.0 coming up in the Spring ComicLink auction. Evidently, the highest graded copy is a 7.5, but I think my raw copy might just top that:

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

Cool book! Is that a pedigree? The markings look kinda familiar.

That's what I thought, too. But it's from no pedigree collection that I'm aware of.

Could be an Aurora.

My first thought was Aurora. I've seen a few with the large grease pencil markings like that. I passed on the Aurora Famous Funnies 215 when Harley had it because the marking was so prominent in the center of the cover and the asking price was $4,000. Best colors I have seen on that book though. Probably should have bought it.

Looks like an Ohio to me.

There's also a gorgeous True Love Pictorial #2 CGC 7.0 coming up in the Spring ComicLink auction. Evidently, the highest graded copy is a 7.5, but I think my raw copy might just top that:

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

That's what I thought, too. But it's from no pedigree collection that I'm aware of.

Could be an Aurora.

My first thought was Aurora. I've seen a few with the large grease pencil markings like that. I passed on the Aurora Famous Funnies 215 when Harley had it because the marking was so prominent in the center of the cover and the asking price was $4,000. Best colors I have seen on that book though. Probably should have bought it.

White Mountain a possibility? Any romance books in that collection?

Note the marking on this WM book.

lf%202_zpsnozlhyfx.jpg

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

Could be an Aurora.

lf%202_zpsnozlhyfx.jpg

I once saw a different copy of the same issue, True Love Pictorial #2, with the exact same markings in grease pencil, and in the exact same location on the cover. Every letter, number, and even the handwriting style and positioning of the characters, was exactly the same... except for the size. On this other copy I saw, the writing took up just a little less area than does the writing on my copy.

I don't know if this simplifies, or complicates, the task of identifying the pedigree (if any). I do remember thinking how weird it was to see that other copy... like both books must've for sure come from the same source.

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

Could be an Aurora.

I've not seen a WM with a code like the one on the TLP. You can find a month/day in grease pencil or pen on a WM but it wouldn't have a "C" code as far as I've seen. An Aurora is very possible but I didn't see it in the initial auction offerings from that pedigree.

Ohio is another possibility but I didn't have time to look it up earlier.

I did a little searching on Heritage to review Ohio markings and you see grease pencil distributor marks on the books below.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/black-rider-25-ohio-pedigree-atlas-1954-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121220-12077.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/masked-raider-1-ohio-pedigree-charlton-1955-cgc-fn-vf-70-white-pages/a/18074-14282.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The Ohio markings are usually placed in a less obtrusive location, dates are "stacked and slashed" rather than hyphenated and the curly queue of the "C" is usually tight. Aurora C's curly queue can be quite open though not quite like the TLP. I can't find a good match with a "known" example of either pedigree and it's possible that it doesn't belong to either and that the "C" is an "E."

Ohio is another possibility but I didn't have time to look it up earlier.

I did a little searching on Heritage to review Ohio markings and you see grease pencil distributor marks on the books below.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/black-rider-25-ohio-pedigree-atlas-1954-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121220-12077.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/masked-raider-1-ohio-pedigree-charlton-1955-cgc-fn-vf-70-white-pages/a/18074-14282.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The Ohio markings are usually placed in a less obtrusive location, dates are "stacked and slashed" rather than hyphenated and the curly queue of the "C" is usually tight. Aurora C's curly queue can be quite open though not quite like the TLP. I can't find a good match with a "known" example of either pedigree and it's possible that it doesn't belong to either and that the "C" is an "E."

Yeah, its not quite like an Ohio style. Just the C is consistent, which is why I couldn't be sure. Its also highly possible it is no pedigree at all. I think this is the most likely case.

If you send the book in for grading, CGC might possibly make the decision for you. I sent in a raw book that Metro had not indicated was a pedigree. During grading, CGC decided it was the Northford copy.

You might choose which pedigree you think is most likely and indicate it on the submission form. They won't, of course, take your word for it, but they may spend time considering which pedigree, if any, it might be.

Of course, this will slow down the turnaround on grading your book by six months or so. :D

If you send the book in for grading, CGC might possibly make the decision for you. I sent in a raw book that Metro had not indicated was a pedigree. During grading, CGC decided it was the Northford copy.

You might choose which pedigree you think is most likely and indicate it on the submission form. They won't, of course, take your word for it, but they may spend time considering which pedigree, if any, it might be.

Of course, this will slow down the turnaround on grading your book by six months or so. :D

About the only known characteristic for the Northfords is the "X" stamp on the back cover. If the book has that, it's easy to tag it as Northford as there isn't anything else like it. If the book doesn't have that then to my knowledge CGC would only tag it as Northford if they can confirm the chain of ownership back to Metro's original sale of the books.

Bill Hughes was the disperser of most of the Aurora's -- that's where I would start as he may have the original list or recognize the book.

About the only known characteristic for the Northfords is the "X" stamp on the back cover. If the book has that, it's easy to tag it as Northford as there isn't anything else like it. If the book doesn't have that then to my knowledge CGC would only tag it as Northford if they can confirm the chain of ownership back to Metro's original sale of the books.

I think you may have misunderstood. I wasn't saying that dukedog's copy of TLP 2 was a Northford. I meant that CGC's graders may be willing to give a pedigree designation if they notice the appropriate markings on a book, even if the pedigree isn't claimed by the person submitting the book.

At any rate, that was my experience in this one case. Only time I've had it happen.

All the Auroras I can find with a C code have the date expressed as one number on top of the second with a line in between, like a fraction. I'd guess this isn't a pedigree. Still a sweet copy though!

I think you may have misunderstood. I wasn't saying that dukedog's copy of TLP 2 was a Northford. I meant that CGC's graders may be willing to give a pedigree designation if they notice the appropriate markings on a book, even if the pedigree isn't claimed by the person submitting the book.

At any rate, that was my experience in this one case. Only time I've had it happen.

There are times when it's a slam dunk for CGC to designate a pedigree even if you don't claim it on the submission form. Northfords are a good example of that. In other cases, it's not easy and they are less likely to make the effort or be successful at it.

All the Auroras I can find with a C code have the date expressed as one number on top of the second with a line in between, like a fraction. I'd guess this isn't a pedigree. Still a sweet copy though!

There are side-by-side hyphenated date examples in grease pencil but not from the same year and not quite the same "C."