• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

mature Baker style, wash-like

I forget the back story on the text on the brick - Re-issue Of Originals - but I know one of you knows

TR had been all reprints since issue 38. Guess they finally felt obligated to point out the non-original content. Maybe they even got letters of complaint from those readers who were actually paying attention.

Not my favorite Baker cover but completists gotta complete!

s-l1600_zps8acqgtbm.jpg

Mine either but come on, ever seen a bad Baker cover? Nice later style and probably pretty scarce. I'd love to have one in my Baker box too.

TR 45 gets my vote for toughest issue of the run. Issue 9 is a close second.

Sacentaur - Congrats on the fifty Bakers in ONE year!! That's insane. I'd be happy adding one nice example per year.

44131298.6061ea1b.800.jpg

About ten years ago, I won a pretty nice copy of this one on eBay for less than $100., but it had a loose centerfold so I felt obliged to return it. One of my biggest regrets in recent memory. I still have not found another one.

This might have been the first Baker romance I picked up.

PictorialRomance7.jpg

s-l1600_zps8acqgtbm.jpg

Never noticed the "re-issue of originals" brick in the fireplace before. I guess all of the last 8 issues had reprinted content, but it was unusual for a book to announce it back in the 1950s.

s-l1600_zps8acqgtbm.jpg

Never noticed the "re-issue of originals" brick in the fireplace before. I guess all of the last 8 issues had reprinted content, but it was unusual for a book to announce it back in the 1950s.

I absolutely love this cover!!!! :cloud9:

Someone recently mistakenly posted a book in a sales thread, thinking it contained Baker art when it did not. A short discussion ensued, concerning the most reliable listing of Baker art. Overstreet has many errors in this area, and 29dukedog rightly pointed out that the best checklist is in The Art of Glamour. That checklist is not perfect, though, so I followed up with a few corrections.

Since this thread is where most of the Baker fans gather, I'm sharing my findings here.

Amazing Ghost Stories #15 is not listed but has a Baker cover

Authentic Police Cases #36 is NOT a Baker cover

Knockout Adventures #1 is not listed, but reprints a Kayo Kirby story from Fight #53 which has Baker art

The Saint #1 is not listed, but the Lucky Dale story sure does look like early Baker art, and comicbookplus has it listed with "Pencils Matt Baker?"

Slash-D Doublecross nn is not listed, but apparently has a Baker cover