• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

I also have this copy of 27 that I don't think I ever scanned before. I guess that white line on the bad guy on the left is a scratch on the original art. hm

35740638-96e9-447c-88f8-e07c18d16177_zpsipolvdol.jpg

I thought that was a motion line of the falling satchel of cash. The fingers of the guy's left hand appear to be in front of that line.

Maybe. It's kind of strange.

Might be a motion line from the gun he dropped.

Could well be, but it's kind of awkwardly done.

Generally speaking, how scarce are the Baker St. John crime books in comparison to his St. John romance books?

Without looking at it systematically, I would say they seem comparably scarce.

I have some Baker police squarebounds. This is one of them. The others aren't scanned.

all-trueall-picturepolicecases2.jpeg

This one is still high on my list of books I'd love to find some day. But I know how freakishly scarce this one is.

Me, too! :D

I have some Baker police squarebounds. This is one of them. The others aren't scanned.

This one is still high on my list of books I'd love to find some day. But I know how freakishly scarce this one is.

What??? You didn't win that slabbed copy in a recent Clink auction?

There was one on a C-Link auction awhile back in 5.0 condition. I thought one of you guys grabbed it. It didn't go cheap.

Generally speaking, how scarce are the Baker St. John crime books in comparison to his St. John romance books?

In general, I would say about the same. There are some exceptions though. Either way, there are real hard to find ones and easier ones like Authentic Police Cases. The 25 cent giants are usually scarcer than their 10 cent counterparts just due to their cost.

I have a dumb question...This thread has been around for years and there seems to be a lot of people who know a lot about Baker here. Why hasn't Overstreet gotten the Baker credits straight yet in the guide for the crime books? Is it because no one has told them, or is it just laziness?

Personally I think it's great that some issues don't get credited...it keeps the price lower...

I have a dumb question...This thread has been around for years and there seems to be a lot of people who know a lot about Baker here. Why hasn't Overstreet gotten the Baker credits straight yet in the guide for the crime books? Is it because no one has told them, or is it just laziness?

Personally I think it's great that some issues don't get credited...it keeps the price lower...

Nevermind Overstreet, CGC didn't credit Baker with the ATAP Police Cases cover. CLink didn't notice it in their auction description until I emailed Doug with the info, as a good citizen.

Here's the one that sold for $2425. on Comiclink last May... Thought for sure Sqeggs would've gone after it.

RAD238742016328_163130.jpg

I was the underbidder. Can't remember quite how that one went, whether I put in what I thought would be a winning bid and got outsniped or whether I bailed on it before the close.

Just didn't seem a nice enough copy to go totally crazy on. No disrespect to the winner! :D

Nevermind Overstreet, CGC didn't credit Baker with the ATAP Police Cases cover. CLink didn't notice it in their auction description until I emailed Doug with the info, as a good citizen.

Probably what kept me from winning it! lol

Matt Baker although known mostly for romance, did many genres with the same amount of skill. There are crime, horror jungle books every bit as good or in some cases, better than romance. As a matter of fact, there are more than quite a few romance covers that leave me a little flat. Also, you have to figure rarity into the equation. The non romance stuff has really been off the radar for quite a while. Annuals in general can be real hard to find. Believe me, I collected them hard for years.

Brian, your question about Overstreet is a bit of a mystery to me too. I submitted a ton of info to him many years ago. A ton of SOTI for example. It got to the point, that if you weren't an "advisor" he didn't add it so I gave up. Besides, it gave me the opportunity to quietly hoard the right books.

Edited by Robot Man

Here's the one that sold for $2425. on Comiclink last May... Thought for sure Sqeggs would've gone after it.

I got it. Sold my under copy, which I had in a sales thread a few months go.

It sold very, very fast. I know I paid out the ying-yang for the 5.0, but it is just so Uberly rare, had to have it. I remember seeing the Diary Secrets NN listed on the Heritage for sale site. It was listed at big bucks at the time and regretted not jumping on it at the time. I believe one of our boardies has it now.

I got it. Sold my under copy, which I had in a sales thread a few months go.

It sold very, very fast. I know I paid out the ying-yang for the 5.0, but it is just so Uberly rare, had to have it. I remember seeing the Diary Secrets NN listed on the Heritage for sale site. It was listed at big bucks at the time and regretted not jumping on it at the time. I believe one of our boardies has it now.

I knew it had to be someone from around here.

May I ask what you got for your under-copy?