• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

Two illustrations, spanning Baker's career...

Nugget_1_zps5f4218bc.jpg

Is this illo from an issue of Manhunt? I picked up some bound copies of those.

It's from the first issue of Nugget. The same issue features another great Baker illo for a story called, "Starskin Saga". It's a collage of nude women! Wish I had it scanned and ready to post... but there's the nudity issue, as well.

Here's a beautiful Baker illustration of Flamingo

0CA4F181-D4F2-471D-A46E-05E3B488E0A0_zpsxpfutaxd.jpg

Cool, is that a previously unpublished piece? (I'd love to pick your brain sometime, and find out where some of those illos in your signature originally came from...)

Here's a beautiful Baker illustration of Flamingo

0CA4F181-D4F2-471D-A46E-05E3B488E0A0_zpsxpfutaxd.jpg

Cool, is that a previously unpublished piece? (I'd love to pick your brain sometime, and find out where some of those illos in your signature originally came from...)

signature are all illustrations from manhunt magazine and others.

Fanzine Influence #2 The Original art bury in someone's collection...at the time of this fanzine 1974 the original art was hanging in Jerry Iger's Wall.

Strong price here, I think: PR 17 on CLink

Is it? Not an easy one to find. I was the underbidder. Someone here won?

Last time I looked, not too long before the close, I think it was around $700. I was surprised when I saw where it finished.

A lot can happen in a short period of time with these auctions.

Cross posted.

I was at Terry's show - great show btw - and there was some private action that backed up the strong price of the Pictorial Romances 17. Bumble Kitty is OK with me mentioning that he sold these CGC Baker slabs at the show. To a dealer. The ask was accepted, grudgingly, but accepted it was, as counters were not an option.

Teen-Age Temptations 6 7.0 (tied for highest grade) $1200

Pictorial Romances 24 7.0 (tied for highest grade) $1200

Romance is following the general trend of what's happening in the market. Will demand be there to buy up the quality supply of books (with all grade levels represented, from low to high)?

CL Winter Feature has 12 books, including 2 Bakers, one of which is a monster Cinderella Love 26 high 8.0 White. All the other books are very notable for different reasons.

HA Sig has a more moderate offering (only in relation to CL) of 4 books, including 2 Bakers, one of which is the new breakout Going Steady 14. The other books are very solid.

While CL and HA go head to head on top shelf books, CC runs their Monthly with a big 13 book lot, including 6 Bakers, one of which is the fun sparse Diary Secrets 30. Some restored books will probably offer attractive entry points.

Guys - this is quite remarkable. When the Crippens rolled out 10 years ago like a giant tsunami, the release was long (weekly, over a year, iirc), large, but most importantly, alphabetical. When the A's were done, they were done, and you knew they wouldn't be revisiting those titles. But now great stuff is popping left and right, and who knows what gems are coming, and when. Very exciting!

Whether you're a dedicated romance collector, or a drive-by fan boy looking for just one representative purchase, this is shaping up to be a great year to be a buyer, with something for everyone at various price points. Yes, prices are strong, especially on Bakers and Coles, but remember strength is relative, and romance is as inexpensive relative to other genres as it ever was.

Enjoy the bounty - I know I am!

I'm wondering how high that Seven Seas 4 CGC 8.5 in the next HA sig is going to go. Might be a record setter for romance.

GGA rather than romance, but I guess I'm splitting hairs...

Good point. Let's make it a potential record setter for a Baker cover, then, or am I forgetting something? hm

I'm wondering how high that Seven Seas 4 CGC 8.5 in the next HA sig is going to go. Might be a record setter for romance.

Already over $10k. :o

Yowza! So already a record, I think. I can't recall another Baker going for more than $10K.