• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,389 posts in this topic

Was that main girl traced on Wedding Bells from Love Secrets?!!  Or vice-versa.  Wedding Bells' background man with the flute/clarinet looks pretty close to TAR17...

In a 2007 Heritage auction, I won the Crippen copy of All-Picture All-True Love Story #2.  As you can see from the first scan below, the eye appeal left something to be desired, and probably turned off a lot of potential bidders.  I imagine the book was once on top of a distributor's stack which was tied up tightly with twine, pressing into the book and leaving conspicuous impressions, both vertically and horizontally.

When I received the book, right off the bat I saw that the Heritage scan made all the visible flaws look much worse than they appeared in hand.  Even the dust shadow on the RHE wasn't as dark as the HA scan had made it look.

About five years ago, I submitted the book to Matt Nelson for pressing.  The results were impressive.  For years I've been meaning to make a new scan, and this morning I did just that.

Before and after pressing:  

apatls2_HA_2007.jpg

apatls2_D_Copy_a.jpg

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

In a 2007 Heritage auction, I won the Crippen copy of All-Picture All-True Love Story #2.  As you can see from the first scan below, the eye appeal left something to be desired, and probably turned off a lot of potential bidders.  I imagine the book was once on top of a distributor's stack which was tied up tightly with twine, pressing into the book and leaving conspicuous impressions, both vertically and horizontally.

When I received the book, right off the bat I saw that the Heritage scan made all the visible flaws look much worse than they appeared in hand.  Even the dust shadow on the RHE wasn't as dark as the HA scan had made it look.

About five years ago, I submitted the book to Matt Nelson for pressing.  The results were impressive.  For years I've been meaning to make a new scan, and this morning I did just that.

Before and after pressing:  

apatls2_HA_2007.jpg

apatls2_D_Copy_a.jpg

Wow.  That's quite a contrast and a great improvement.  The colors look brighter in the Heritage scan but I assume the difference is just an artifact of the different scanners (or scanner settings). Did Matt also remove some of the surface dirt in addition to pressing the book?  

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Wow.  That's quite a contrast and a great improvement.  The colors look brighter in the Heritage scan but I assume the difference is just an artifact of the different scanners (or scanner settings). Did Matt also remove some of the surface dirt in addition to pressing the book?  

It was probably dry cleaned.  I think that's routine, along with the pressing. 

The contents of this particular copy is: Teen-Age Romances 24, and Wartime Romances 7 and 8.

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

And yeah, I think the Heritage scan is over saturated, and my scan is under saturated.

He did a great job, impressive. Structurally, looks like a very nice copy.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:08 AM, 29dukedog said:

It was probably dry cleaned.  I think that's routine, along with the pressing. 

The contents of this particular copy is: Teen-Age Romances 24, and Wartime Romances 7 and 8.

Do you have duplicate reading copies for review?  Are you using the GCD to identify the stories within?  Is there an online resource where these interiors can be read?

I really love a lot of the interior contents of these, but I don't like handling my originals too much.  I've been following the "photocopy comics on ebay" thread and maybe thats the way for me to go...

14 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Do you have duplicate reading copies for review?  Are you using the GCD to identify the stories within?  Is there an online resource where these interiors can be read?

I really love a lot of the interior contents of these, but I don't like handling my originals too much.  I've been following the "photocopy comics on ebay" thread and maybe thats the way for me to go...

The Digital Comic Museum has the contents of about 90-95% of the St. John romance books available to download or read online.  Check it out...

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/ 

After someone figures out how to do that polling function in the "Baker Top Ten" thread, we need to do a Top Ten Interior Baker Stories.  I'm not well enough versed on the interior contents as I assume many of you are, but what issues have the best interiors?  I just was flipping through TLP5 and the first "Party Girl" story line was real fun.  I am also fond of TAR37's "Wrong Side of the Tracks" (probably would never have known how awesome that one is if it were not for Benson's book reprinting it).

I will be checking out the Digital Comic Museum.  Thanks @29dukedog!

I seem to recall a discussion about this book...... OPG lists it as Baker C/A........ and the interior story definitely looks like Matt's work, but this cover ? ...... no way. I've seen it also attributed to Kamen, but it looks like stone cold Feldstein to me (shrug) ....but I'm no expert. What does CGC say if anyone has a slabbed copy ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

KmcAGwI.jpg

What did you think, Tony ? The "headlights" and many other elements just look a lot like Feldstein..... either way, it's a cool cover .....that static cling generator appears designed to disrobe the gals..... seems like a lot of trouble to go to, when a box of chocolates and a bottle of Sherry might work just as well.... GOD BLESS...

... nice copy by the way.....

6 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

What did you think, Tony ? The "headlights" and many other elements just look a lot like Feldstein..... either way, it's a cool cover .....that static cling generator appears designed to disrobe the gals..... seems like a lot of trouble to go to, when a box of chocolates and a bottle of Sherry might work just as well.... GOD BLESS...

... nice copy by the way.....

You know I've never been able to figure out what the heck is supposed to be going on on that cover. hm

And, yeah, the way her dress is shown drawn tight across her breasts sure looks like Feldstein.  I don't see much on this cover that makes me think of Baker.  CGC's default for attributions is to follow Overstreet, who credits Baker (as you note).  Why Overstreet would have credited Baker is an interesting question, given that for years the Baker attributions on St John romance books have been completely bollixed up with a lot of omissions of covers and interior art that are obviously his.

Whoever was contributing the Baker data was likely drawing only from the books that they had and was likely not in touch with other Baker enthusiasts ..... perhaps they dropped out of the hobby. GOD BLESS.....

Just now, jimjum12 said:

Whoever was contributing the Baker data was likely drawing only from the books that they had and was likely not in touch with other Baker enthusiasts ..... perhaps they dropped out of the hobby. GOD BLESS.....

Or was driven out by an angry mob of Baker fans! You don't want to tangle with us when we get riled up about attributions! :sumo: