• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,587 posts in this topic

Not the next one, comixnoir, the one after that - 8/15. Also, a 7.5 Reform School Girl is in that auction as well. Both graded within the last 2 weeks, same seller. Makes you wonder what else is sitting in that collection/inventory.

We should start an under/over for the GCE 12 based on the last gpa price for the 8.0 from 10/07 of $6848

Sixth street collection... cbs spokane is a boardie and posted this link to the other books.

cbsspokane2.tumblr.com

Thought the Wartime Romances 11 sold for a strong price in the auction last night. Not sure whether it represents a general increase in Baker prices or if those WRs are particularly tough.

As a consolation prize, I picked up this one. It's the confusingly titled Blue Ribbon/Teen-Age Diary Secrets 5. Unless I'm missing it, there don't seem to be any copies on the census.

T2eC16ZHJGEFFm5rRt4NBRoq4LZdcg60_57_zpsc4908be5.jpg

Thought the Wartime Romances 11 sold for a strong price in the auction last night. Not sure whether it represents a general increase in Baker prices or if those WRs are particularly tough.

As a consolation prize, I picked up this one. It's the confusingly titled Blue Ribbon/Teen-Age Diary Secrets 5. Unless I'm missing it, there don't seem to be any copies on the census.

T2eC16ZHJGEFFm5rRt4NBRoq4LZdcg60_57_zpsc4908be5.jpg

I was surprised by the WR #11 results. It's not a particularily hard book, except in grade, of course. Those Blue Ribbon/ Diary Secrets have tougher issues. Bakers seem do be getting stronger prices across the board.

Edited by comixnoir

Sqeggs, there is one graded copy of Blue Ribbon #5 - an 8.5. Of course, it's in the census not under Blue Ribbon, nor under Teen-Age Diary Secrets, but under Diary Secrets #5 (which actually began with issue #10). CGC really messed up the data on these three titles. It's been untangled before on various board threads, but I don't have a handy link.

That hammer price of $520 was surprising but didn't leave me shocked! shocked I say! There's not a lot of Baker solid mid grade to go around and the back on that book was a whole lot nicer than the majority of the backs on the Bakers that Sparkle has offered since March.

Wartime Romances as a title is a nice one. It's themed which most of the other titles can't claim. The earlier issues (1-7) have a fair amount of original Baker; # 3 & 4 are two of only five books in the entire St John run that are all Baker all original art books. On the other hand, starting with #10, Wartime Romances has Baker essentially phoning it in with cover work or cover/one story only.

1952 saw an editorial decision to go with split covers, which I am not a big fan of. Those small panels don't seem a good match for Baker's style at all and they detract from the main panel. Which is a shame, particularly on WR #12, which deserved a larger canvas if any cover ever did. And then St John again made an editorial decision to go for no dialog covers for the most part from 1953 on. No surprise there - romance was dying off quickly and the remaining players were casting about for a successful strategy.

Jeez Dr. love, I don't see the love for WR #12. Seems pretty generic. I like #'s 5,8,9 (they show the women as beautiful, manipulative), 15-18 (just gorgeous rendering). #3 is considered the hardest, although that was one of the first I ever picked up. Never seen another, maybe on-line.

Sqeggs, there is one graded copy of Blue Ribbon #5 - an 8.5. Of course, it's in the census not under Blue Ribbon, nor under Teen-Age Diary Secrets, but under Diary Secrets #5 (which actually began with issue #10). CGC really messed up the data on these three titles. It's been untangled before on various board threads, but I don't have a handy link.

That hammer price of $520 was surprising but didn't leave me shocked! shocked I say! There's not a lot of Baker solid mid grade to go around and the back on that book was a whole lot nicer than the majority of the backs on the Bakers that Sparkle has offered since March.

Wartime Romances as a title is a nice one. It's themed which most of the other titles can't claim. The earlier issues (1-7) have a fair amount of original Baker; # 3 & 4 are two of only five books in the entire St John run that are all Baker all original art books. On the other hand, starting with #10, Wartime Romances has Baker essentially phoning it in with cover work or cover/one story only.

1952 saw an editorial decision to go with split covers, which I am not a big fan of. Those small panels don't seem a good match for Baker's style at all and they detract from the main panel. Which is a shame, particularly on WR #12, which deserved a larger canvas if any cover ever did. And then St John again made an editorial decision to go for no dialog covers for the most part from 1953 on. No surprise there - romance was dying off quickly and the remaining players were casting about for a successful strategy.

Thanks for unraveling the mystery of graded copies of BR/TDS 5 -- it seemed odd that there wouldn't have been any.

I agree that the back covers of some of the Bakers SC has been auctioning haven't look too good. I assume it's another quirk of the CGC grading process that a book can be hammered for a small water stain or other light mark but not be penalized much for fairly gnarly tanning on the back cover.

Ok, it's definitely a beater ... but there's only one on the census, I could only find two in the HA archives, and Metro claims the one they have up now (with rusty staples) is the only one they have ever offered. So, I figured I better grab it.

KGrHqFlcFGZDy9EDtBRrP9kUF3g60_57_zpsbb72b550.jpg

The True Love Pictorial 11 going for $400 is crazy. There was just one back a year or two ago that went for around $50. I'd say SparkleCity did well with the Bakers.

Edited by JvR11

The True Love Pictorial 11 going for $400 is crazy. There was just one back a year or two ago that went for around $50. I'd say SparkleCity did well with the Bakers.

I paid $300.00 for my copy 5 years ago. Just mid-grade. Maybe I was ahead of the curve with stupid prices.

comixnoir: Here are some "Baker" OA on the current Heritage weekly.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121323&lotNo=10534

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121323&lotNo=10533

Anyone else think they're out to lunch on the artist credit of these stories?

This look like John Thornton pencils. I hope HA did research before naming this as Matt Baker OA.

Edited by kat123

Wow. Besides not looking like his work, of course there's no mention of this work for Superior? in Alter Ego. It says he didn't leave St John until mid 1954, and the first assignment he came up with was Lassie 20-22.

Email Steve B.

Wow. Besides not looking like his work, of course there's no mention of this work for Superior? in Alter Ego. It says he didn't leave St John until mid 1954, and the first assignment he came up with was Lassie 20-22.

Email Steve B.

Superior used Iger Shop, who Baker worked for in the past. Superior could have bought some stories from Jerry Iger that Baker worked on. However there is no way this is Baker. Looks a little like Thorton.

This look like John Thornton pencils. I hope HA did research before naming this as Matt Baker OA.

Neither the recent book on Baker nor Overstreet credits either of these stories to Baker. Makes you wonder where the attribution came from.

Certainly, they don't look like Baker to me. Other non-Baker Iger shop material seems closer to his work than either of these stories do.

I paid $300.00 for my copy 5 years ago. Just mid-grade. Maybe I was ahead of the curve with stupid prices.

one of the best of his covers IMO

Neither the recent book on Baker nor Overstreet credits either of these stories to Baker. Makes you wonder where the attribution came from.

Certainly, they don't look like Baker to me. Other non-Baker Iger shop material seems closer to his work than either of these stories do.

I don't see Baker mentioned in these listings... hm

I bought mine just after seeing yours in person and getting inspired - I think I paid about the same for mine - possibly just a little more.

One of my favourite GGA books that I own. It's just terrific.

Yup.

I bought mine just after seeing yours in person and getting inspired - I think I paid about the same for mine - possibly just a little more.

One of my favourite GGA books that I own. It's just terrific.

Yup.

Now I really regret selling my CGC 6.0 doh! But it went to a great home!

I don't see Baker mentioned in these listings... hm

They revised the listings to drop the reference to Baker. I presume they will allow the bidders to cancel without prejudice, although maybe those are decent prices for complete romance stories, even if the artist is now unnamed. (shrug)