• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Strange Adventures
2 2

511 posts in this topic

Just got a copy of the famous "animal balloon" cover!

What a great cover! lol

Care to spill the beans on the "scientific trick" he mentions?

Please don't make me buy a copy... :wishluck:

Haven't read it yet, so you better go ahead and buy one. :)

:frustrated:

...added to my VCC want list...

Just got a copy of the famous "animal balloon" cover!

What a great cover! lol

Care to spill the beans on the "scientific trick" he mentions?

Please don't make me buy a copy... :wishluck:

Haven't read it yet, so you better go ahead and buy one. :)

:frustrated:

...added to my VCC want list...

You mean this book?

SA_077.jpg

I would not want to ruin the story for you when you finally get a chance to read it!

(worship)

New acquisitions?

Yes! Just bought a truck load from another collector! Great stuff.

Um..."truck load"? That, my friend, is an intriguing phrase!

Ok, maybe "truck load" is a tad strong...Lets call it a short box.

Here's the story: In the early 90s, I used to buy a lot of books from a gent who advertised regularly in the GBG classifieds. Before the days of email, he would give me a call from time to time if he has any of the items on my want lists. We collected along the same lines and would always have nice chats about 50's sci-fi books, artists, etc. Eventually he got out of selling and I have not hear from him in about 9 years.

A couple of weeks ago, I get home and there is a voice mail on my machine and its him! Seems he is looking to unload some books in his private collection and still had my number. We talk for a bit and I agree to take some choice HG DCs off his hands for a fair price - some Strange Adventures, some TOTU, HOM... Overall, a nice transaction!

(worship)

New acquisitions?

Yes! Just bought a truck load from another collector! Great stuff.

Um..."truck load"? That, my friend, is an intriguing phrase!

Ok, maybe "truck load" is a tad strong...Lets call it a short box.

Here's the story: In the early 90s, I used to buy a lot of books from a gent who advertised regularly in the GBG classifieds. Before the days of email, he would give me a call from time to time if he has any of the items on my want lists. We collected along the same lines and would always have nice chats about 50's sci-fi books, artists, etc. Eventually he got out of selling and I have not hear from him in about 9 years.

A couple of weeks ago, I get home and there is a voice mail on my machine and its him! Seems he is looking to unload some books in his private collection and still had my number. We talk for a bit and I agree to take some choice HG DCs off his hands for a fair price - some Strange Adventures, some TOTU, HOM... Overall, a nice transaction!

I guess it pays to cultivate those friendships. That's fantastic!

An underrated comic, imo. Captain Comet was a great character with a great artist, but he's kind of lost between eras. Gotta get one some day, but the price for it is getting pretty strong...so maybe not so underrated anymore!

Here are a few more books from that collection I spoke of earlier...

Very glossy with bone white pages! Best copy I've ever seen!

SA_119.jpg

One of my favorite covers. Murphy Anderson was such a great artist. I love the landscape, and the shadows from the buildings and the giants. Great detail!

Murphy Anderson, IMHO, one of the best DC sci-fi artists of the silver age. My favorite series of his is, of course, THE ATOMIC KNIGHTS! Those scripts by John Broome were brought to life by Murph! His later teaming with Curt Swan on those "Swanderson" issues of Superman are on par with the Kirby/Sinnott run on the FF.

Here are 2 of my favorite Anderson covers:

The ultimate outer-space wash-tone!

SA_150.jpg

Last Atomic Knights...

SA_160.jpg