• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: George Carlin RIP

36 posts in this topic

RIP.

Liked his early work 70's - mid 90's, but over that last 10 years he was less and less funny - just more and more bitter and angry.

The lesson here is that too much coke in a lifetime will wear out your heart...

RIP Georgie.

Liked his early work 70's - mid 90's, but over that last 10 years he was less and less funny - just more and more bitter and angry.

RIP Georgie.

We saw him in Vegas about 10 or so years ago, and your description is right on. The ticket-sellers had a page long spiel on the content, no-refunds, etc. Still, half the audience either didn't laugh or left once he began. I still don't classify my money as being well-spent.

Well, now he has gone to see if the "Old Man in the Sky" he made so much money in his career mocking really exists or not.

Best of luck to him with that one. Hope he wasn't too clever for his own good.

What I enjoyed about him the most was his focus on language. He really did build entire routines on the English language --- & I'm not talking just about the dirty words bit.

Although I didn't always agree with George on a few things I did find him to be very funny. I've read all three of his books which were very good and as earlier stated he did have a period of where he seemed more bitter than he had been early on.

Several of his routines were right on the money and are mainstays even in my vocabulary. The illusion of choice, the illusion of safety, and the softening of the english language.

Hope that "invisible man in the sky" treats you well George! :hi:

Well, now he has gone to see if the "Old Man in the Sky" he made so much money in his career mocking really exists or not.

Best of luck to him with that one. Hope he wasn't too clever for his own good.

What I enjoyed about him the most was his focus on language. He really did build entire routines on the English language --- & I'm not talking just about the dirty words bit.

His routine on how the politically correct need to add syllables to words is an all-time classic.

This was the first thing that crossed my mind. I'm not a super religious person, but in the past decade his anti-God fixation and rants really ramped up... made for some uncomfortable moments in his routines.

RIP Georgie.

We saw him in Vegas about 10 or so years ago, and your description is right on. The ticket-sellers had a page long spiel on the content, no-refunds, etc. Still, half the audience either didn't laugh or left once he began. I still don't classify my money as being well-spent.

I really enjoyed Carlin up until about the last 10 years or so. Edgy and witty somehow mutated into really bitter and unfunny. Still had a tremendous body of work.

Thanks for the laughs, George.