• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Wow, this thread makes me drooool being an AF 15 noob on my hunt for a G/VG copy.

I was wondering if you lucky AF 15 owners had any advice on restored/unrestored & signed/unsigned copies and the impact of those things on the book? I know there are a lot of variables in value, etc, but any pointers would be great so I don't make a foolish mistake. I've waited so long to begin looking for the book I don't want to make a rookie move.

Thanks!

Joe

Hey Joe, welcome. I finally came across my copy a few weeks ago. Yes it's sweet, but my sole advice would be patience. Get a copy that speaks to you, where Spidey soars, and of course costs a fair amount-if that exists. If you could get unrestored, great, but if you buy restored that's great too. If you don't know too much about restoration, read some forums and stick to graded books. A lot of dudes all over sell restored books and pass them off as unrestored. Good luck. Guys on the boards are EXTREMELY knowledgeable. I would say you're in a good place.

-Dan

Wow, this thread makes me drooool being an AF 15 noob on my hunt for a G/VG copy.

I was wondering if you lucky AF 15 owners had any advice on restored/unrestored & signed/unsigned copies and the impact of those things on the book? I know there are a lot of variables in value, etc, but any pointers would be great so I don't make a foolish mistake. I've waited so long to begin looking for the book I don't want to make a rookie move.

Thanks!

Joe

Hey joe-

Here are my quick AF 15 musts:

Blue label universal (no PLOD or Yellow-my preference)

Cream to ow pages or better

No marvel chipping

Bright colors (no orange Spidey lol )

Hey joe-

No marvel chipping

...and hopefully you have the bankroll for all of this. If not do like me. Low grade, PLOD

Thanks so much for the advice @SpideyFein & @Primetime! @MarvelOnly I'm trying to find a nice 1.5-3.0 that speaks to me restored or unrestored.

The beauty in AF 15 is that it holds its value well so if I go in on one I can always re-sell and go back on the hunt!

I saw the beautiful 1.5 that @InvisibleGhosts sold here and i'm kicking myself for missing that one, if only I joined a few months ago, that would have been the perfect copy for me!

Wish me luck & thanks again!

Joe

I saw that 1.5 PLOD on e-bay

I have a really nice looking CGC 4.0 unrestrored, but have

owned a 7.0 AF15 PLOD Moderate Prof Rest.

and my thoughts are as follows (I've went on a few angles/tangets)...

This is not the greatest copy if you are looking at investing, etc...

Maybe even less for eye appeal as.

Look closely at the amateur restoration. The marker they used doesn't

match up. The pen likely has bleed through the cover. It seems likely

nicer than in person due to the appeal of the CGC case and Stan's Auto.

If you are on a budget though and want a deal on an AF15...

Try to score one in the wild, put out some adds OR

Yes, this might be the filler for you. Depends on the price!

For only a couple thousand more you could likely get a 5.0 PLOD or maybe a 7.0.

My 7.0 PLOD was 5,000 from Pedigree Comics last year and I was able to

move it FAST for 6,000- a few months ago.

Currently PLODS have very little increase in actual recorded sales prices even

up to 9.0. The higher the PLOD and lower the level of restoration, the greater

the potential value overall.

NOT ALL PLODS ARE THE SAME, BUT THEY ARE ALL PURPLE, WHICH HURTS THEM!

Just my thoughts,

Scott Boothby

I looked and think you may have just bought it off e-bay.

For the price you can't go wrong as ANY Af15 will appreciate in value.

It's signed by the man and hey...

It's the FREAKIN AF15 grail of comic-collecting with an iconic cover you see everywhere. I've heard stories of people crying when they get to hold one for the first time....Now you likely are in the club ;-)

So it cool in my book no matter what.

Congrats

-Scott

Thanks!

Joe

Hey joe-

No marvel chipping

I think this is great advice, I will also add:

Buy the best copy you can afford.

Here is mine:

af15.jpg

Blue label universal (no PLOD or Yellow-my preference) CHECK

Cream to ow pages or better CHECK

No marvel chipping CHECK

Bright colors (no orange Spidey lol ) CHECK

:cloud9:

Artboy I like the centering on your AF15 too. There's a lot of these that you see where the "A" in Amazing is partially wrapped around the spine.

Nice 3.0

Thanks! I think it is one of the best 3.0's

Thanks!

Joe

Hey joe-

No marvel chipping

Here is mine:

af15.jpg

No marvel chipping CHECK

Thank you, and that's a beauty of a 3.0, this thread just incites jealousy in me :)

Thanks!

Joe

Hey joe-

No marvel chipping

Here is mine:

af15.jpg

No marvel chipping CHECK

Thank you, and that's a beauty of a 3.0, this thread just incites jealousy in me :)

lol, thats how i felt about owning a copy. i thouht that i couldnt call myself a real collector unless i had one. now that i got the 4.0 i feel almost complete. i just need a few more and i can feel complete.