• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,106 posts in this topic

I had this moment. I was about 19 at the time. I broke up with a girlfriend at the time and had to vent somehow. Man, I loved Frank Miller at the time...

I called this piece "Mourning for M'iko" even though M'iko was code for someone else.

1b62f8a5.jpg

This is likely one of my favorite drawings.

Not one of my best, but just one of my favorite.

My scanner couldn't capture the entire pic so I had to scan it into more than one portion.

2687f75a.jpg

I have two pieces left.

One was for a Toronto store that I was trying to come up with a graphic for.

ec3c38b2.jpg

The other is a sketch I did for a local rap group as I tried to come up with a logo for.

ba624666.jpg

Gang, I have to crash.

I just dug these up after thinking they had been trashed almost a year ago.

Thanks for letting me reminisce.

Peace and love to all.

(thumbs u

Thats awesome Roy, and so cool that you still have them. Old artwork from our youths is one of a kind and irreplacible. Thanks for sharing. You make me wanna dig out my old "ART BOX" and see whats in there.

Seeing Roy's stuff made me want to dig up my childhood artwork... but unfortunately, my family moved around the country a lot and most of my artwork was destroyed in a flood when my parents were living in New York.

I did have some grainy photographs taken over the years of some posters I did when I was from 14-16 actually. Here are some of them. (Most are pretty embarassing actually... but I think I wouldn't have the same patience today to do them.)

They are all 24" x 36" done on those white poster boards you can get at a typical department/grocery store. I used markers actually... since I didn't have any paint or any formal training up to that point.

Edited by sckao

Frank Miller was another obvious influence...

Daredevil_Poster.jpg

I actually remember doing various Wolverine posters including one of the cover of #2, but those weren't actually photographed I think.

Which led my sister and mom to say something along the lines of "why don't you draw something that's not from a comic book?"

Which led to this:

Audobon_Poster.jpg

It's a copy of an Audobon plate of a sparrow.

Realizing I wasn't using the whole posterboard... and in the mood to waste some marker (since I got some more packs which were like a buck per pack)...

Warlock_Poster.jpg

Yeah... clouds don't look like that.

After Starlin of course. (thumbs u

Then I encountered a "painted" cover from the book Chronicles of the Fantastic Four which was an independent series that indexed various Marvel titles.

Which led to this:

FF_Poster.jpg

That black line on the Thing is actually from me drawing on the photograph in some deranged fugue state probably from the watercolor marker fumes. It didn't actually help.