• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

And, of course, there was American Flagg... which probably wouldn't have passed the Comic Code Authority.

Note: I found a straight edge.

American_Flagg_Poster.jpg

Drawing those stars was amazingly difficult actually...

DC comics started printing Baxter paper copies of New Teen Titans... and I speculated on them. To this day, I still have dozens of copies of the early baxter issues. doh!

The problem with drawing with markers is that if you screw up, you can't fix it. (I hadn't realized you could fix things with white paint... Even then, my watercolor markers wouldn't have been able to color over that new texture.) As seen in that colored over planet in the black area by Trigon's right arm.

Teen_Titans_Poster.jpg

Edited by sckao

When I was introduced to Barry Windsor-Smith on Machine Man and various X-men fill-in issues (having missed his earlier work), I was impressed.

Machine_Man_Poster.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty strange for someone to actually DRAW their own comic posters.

The only poster I ever purchased back then was a Frazetta print. (thumbs u

Then John Byrne went and created a new superteam, Alpha Flight. This one really used up a lot of yellow.... I mean, these are 24" x 36" posters. Clearly, from the marker strokes, I had no idea how to adequately color in a consistent fashion.

Alpha_Flight_Poster.jpg

The clouds are still weird...

Edited by sckao

When Tim Truman showed up with Grim Jack, I really liked his art style. The lettering is indicative of something called "Bad Planning".

Grimjack_Poster.jpg

Evidently, I stole this from the back cover of StarSlayer #17

GGSS17backcover.jpg

Concurrently with these posters, I also did some art for the high school literary magazine...

I probably stole this from either Korak or Tarzan... I think that ape already died from having me twist his body in an impossible position... so there was already no hope of rescue.

tarzan300.gif

This seems to be a Hildebrandt Unicorn... And obviously I didn't like drawing feet... or in this case, flippers.

I started doing those rocks like that because of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein.

unicorn300.jpg

Which led to this failed experiment...

vampire300.gif

To this day, I still think Dracula looks like Sam from Cheers, the tv show.

Yeah... that's Thor's Hammer. doh!

And finally, a shot that shows I started using light and shadow... This was probably done when I was 16. Still no formal training or even an art class. I don't think I took my first art class until as a senior in high school or college actually.

Thanks for allowing me to show some stuff from my childhood. (thumbs u

I remember a whole bunch of smaller 11x14 sketches and drawings I did when I was even younger, but those seem to have been lost into the ether...

throne300.jpg

Thanks! I read the Alan Moore Swamp Things... but that was a vampire. doh!

(Since Wrightson had drawn Frankenstein...)

I've since realized that the posters were 24x36 and not 18x24. I remember always scrambling for markers of certain colors when buying those cheap packs. :cloud9:

Shin, that was really, really cool. Loved seeing the old school pics.

Looking at your work sends me back to my childhood. You were so 80's

:applause: