• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book have you owned the longest?

61 posts in this topic

If I never lost those books, I wonder if I'd still be collecting today? hm

You probably wouldn't no, it was the "trigger" that will make you a collector/hoarder for life.

Now about your anger issues... lol

I sold all my books at age 16 (1984)to pay a car insurance bill. After that, the Dark Knight Returns was the first book I remember buying and still having. I do have the 9th edition of the Overstreet Price Guide still. Does that count?

Superman #179 (1965) bought off the stands at Hummer's Tobacco Shop in Frenchtown, New Jersey. Great place back then for ALL comics. Closed up decades ago. God, I miss the simpler times of being a kid. Where's that time machine I had laying around here...?

Challengers of the Unknown 7 bought used from Mickey's Hobby Shop in San Francisco for 2 cents, circa 1964. Mickey's would buy comics for 1 cent and sell them for 2 cents. You could get a lot of good reading for a buck!

This is a tough one.

I'm going to have to guess that the book i actually have owned the longest is a Walt Disney's Comics and Stories # 153 from November 1953. I was given the book by a classmate (Patty Moynihan) sometime in 1957 (as best as i can determine) so I've owned it for 51 years now....It's kinda cool that the book has her name and her original address stamp on it from when she lived in East Orange, NJ. When i met her, I'd moved from East Orange to Orange, as well.

It's the only book that I own that certifiably made the move from E. Orange to Orange back in October 1956... :grin:

The books that I recall as the oldest are a couple my father brought home from his school where he was principal. Some foolish kid decided to read a Warlock #6 and Strange Tales #178 at school, so they became mine. It was back in 1975 or so and since the Warlock #6 was a bit older.....33 years or so. I'm sure I have a few older, but these are the two I remember most vividly.

the first Batman I ever bought:

Batman #278 from 1976 featuring "The Wringer" :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

A finer comic has never been made.

Anyone have a #278 CGC 9.8 they want to sell me? :wishluck:

(note - I bought a few crappy comics in 1975, like Classics Illustrated, Freedom Fighters, Marvels, etc.) but got rid of them

Avengers #4, is the first one that I remember that I still own today. I'd grade it about a -0.5. Missing cover and first wrap. The Avengers #5 is only missing the cover. They were read about 5,000 times each! They were are are still loved.

(note - I bought a few crappy comics in 1975, like Classics Illustrated, Freedom Fighters, Marvels, etc.) but got rid of them

:gossip: Batman 277 is finer.

I managed to upgrade to a 9.6 recently. It was nice.

Batman277.jpg

Batman277.jpg

I spit :sick: on your 9.6

Only a 9.8 would impress me :jokealert:

And #278 can kick the butt of #277 any day

Still a great era (1976-1980) for Batman comics I remember fondly. They get no respect because Adams was gone I guess, which is fine with me because I can still afford to buy them in 9.8 that way :cloud9:

The oldest books still in my collection, that would've been purchased used at the old downtown Torrance Bookstore (for either 6 or 8-cents apiece second-hand) are as follows:

Fantastic Four 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 14 & 17 (worship)

Journey Into Mystery 86, 88, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 & 99 :cloud9:

These would've been purchased between 1967 and 1969, so approximately 39 to 41 years ago... :headbang:

Just sold the last of my "original" ASM #10 to chromium about a week ago...sniffle... :cry:

Batman277.jpg

I just think it's pretty darn neat we started buying a month apart. I have very fond memories of those Bronze bats between 275 and 300.

I spit :sick: on your 9.6

Only a 9.8 would impress me :jokealert:

And #278 can kick the butt of #277 any day

Still a great era (1976-1980) for Batman comics I remember fondly. They get no respect because Adams was gone I guess, which is fine with me because I can still afford to buy them in 9.8 that way :cloud9:

I just think it's pretty darn neat we started buying a month apart. I have very fond memories of those Bronze bats between 275 and 300.

Yeah, I missed #300 on the news stand because someone else bought the only 2 copies at my local store I guess. Made me so mad. :mad:

It was a couple years later before I finally got my copy. :cloud9:

Yeah, I missed #300 on the news stand because someone else bought the only 2 copies at my local store I guess. Made me so mad. :mad:

It was a couple years later before I finally got my copy. :cloud9:

You should have done what me and my friends used to do when we were kids. If we didn't have enough money to buy all of the books that we wanted, we would take a few copies of the ones we didn't buy, and hide them behind Classic's Illustrated, or something else that didn't sell as well. We'd come back later when we had more money and retrieve our stash of books.