• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

I have been looking for one on the slightly higher end in the 8.0-8.5 range. Mark's 9.2 is outta my range. The book seems slow because the only copies you see are 2.0-3.5. There just aren't that many mid to high grade copies floating around. AF15 has so many copies there is a 5.0-8.0 in every auction. CL had one earlier in the year with a 17K price tag that I would have bought and it lasted less that 2 hours. It was sold before I even got my wantlist email. So the book still has some juice.

Maybe the reason Mark's has not sold is he is asking too much. If the 9.6 Pacific Coast X-Men #1 sold for only 100K maybe 125K is too much for a 9.2 Showcase. I would like to see that book in a an auction and see what it would do. I would think 80-90K would be attainable which would be a pretty good profit from the 62K it brought in 2004.

I wouldn't pay $125k for my Showcase #4 CGC 9.2. :gossip:I just have it priced that way as a starting point. Anyone who is serious about spending that kind of cash will negotiate and if they are crazy enough to simply plunk down that kind of change without inquiring (which has surprisingly happened before but of course not in this price range), who am I to argue! :grin: The book, IMHO, is most certainly worth 2x Guide so realistically I am looking for upwards to $100k. I am in no rush, so I can simply wait until I receive the price I want.This book can easily be located in low grade and is not difficult to find in mid-grade. And I think it can be purchased at reasonable prices in that grade range. From an investment standpoint I don't view low to mid-grade copies as very worthwhile. In the long term, maybe. Definitely not short-term (other than the arbitrary occurrence). But when you start going into HG the book simply doesn't exist. 3 copies grade over 8.5 after all this time. I am sure there are some more out there somewhere but 1956 is a tough year for HG books in general, much less this particular copy.

No problem. Do you think Mark is worried about the 9.4 coming up in September. That will set the market for his book I would think.

Not at all! I WELCOME Metro's attempt at the sale of this book - FINALLY! There hasn't been any other comparable sales.

I have always told people, however, that I don't think one can even compare the sales prices of the 9.2 to 9.4 to 9.6 as the variance among them will likely be quite wide. I have no idea what Metro will have as the reserve on their copy, which has never been publicly available for sale to my knowledge, but I recall Stephen saying he valued it at around $130k-$150k a year or two ago. Two years ago Motor City initially wanted $350k for the CGC 9.6, and I believe perhaps would have gone as low as $275k if someone had actually offered cash.

That still places my copy in the $100k range.

Not at all! I WELCOME Metro's attempt at the sale of this book - FINALLY! There hasn't been any other comparable sales. I have always told people, however, that I don't think one can even compare the sales prices of the 9.2 to 9.4 to 9.6 as the variance among them will likely be quite wide. I have no idea what Metro will have as the reserve on their copy, which has never been publicly available for sale to my knowledge, but I recall Stephen saying he valued it at around $130k-$150k a year or two ago. Two years ago Motor City initially wanted $350k for the CGC 9.6, and I believe perhaps would have gone as low as $275k if someone had actually offered cash That still places my copy in the $100k range.

Mark,

By setting the market, I guess I meant the ceiling price. If it goes off at 130-150, you are definitely setting pretty for at least 100K.

What do you consider high grade?

There are six 8.0s and only 5 above that.

Do you have any idea who owns the 9.2 mp?

That one might even fit into my price range.

The 8.5 Mohawk sold for 26K in 2006. What would you think the value of that book would be today?

BTW.... I am really jealous of your blue 9.2. (worship) (worship)

I have a line on a 9.8 german edition that I would trade straight up. :baiting:

Showcase #4 seems to be in significant demand in almost any grade, and that's been true as long as I've been collecting. It's one of the handful of silver age books about which you can say that. It's also one of the least common (maybe the least common) of the silver age keys. You just don't see it coming up for sale nearly as often as the other major SA keys.

Whether it will increase in value short-term is another question. Maybe, maybe not - no one can say for sure. But as a long-term investment, Showcase #4 is one of the safest investments among all SA keys in my opinion.

Agree wholeheartedly...well spoken (if the qoutes are working again).

I'm surprised that 9.6 copy hasn''t been sold yet (or has it?). Would look nice next to a few other high grade Marvel keys.

It is not "actively" for sale. I'm sure if the right offer came in it would be sold but Mike Goldman is happy to hold onto it for now.

By setting the market, I guess I meant the ceiling price. If it goes off at 130-150, you are definitely setting pretty for at least 100K.

The 8.5 Mohawk sold for 26K in 2006. What would you think the value of that book would be today?

BTW.... I am really jealous of your blue 9.2. \(worship\)\(worship\)

I have a line on a 9.8 german edition that I would trade straight up. poke2.gif

Personally, I would say 8.0 and above is HG. I probably should have qualified my statement that for Showcase #4's there seems to be an almost impenetrable line drawn in the sand at 8.5 which separates those books that rise above.I don't know who owns the 9.2 mp. :sorry: I don't know if there would be much movement on the 8.5 Mohawk in just two years. It would not surprise me either way. Once you get into those price ranges there can be a significant range depending upon demand. As great a book that Showcase #4 is, and as decent to good an investment it is over long term, it is certainly not facing the same demand as an AF #15 or ASM #1.

"As great a book that Showcase #4 is, and as decent to good an investment it is over long term, it is certainly not facing the same demand as an AF #15 or ASM #1."

But what book does. They both have the perfect storm, good supply but not oversupply, mega demand, and a character with staying power.

SC4 on the other hand does not have good supply, it has tacit demand, and it has a classic character but one that is not quite AAA. But it does have a pedigree of being an uber key and that will always keep it important and the lack of supply will always provide a price floor.

Not at all! I WELCOME Metro's attempt at the sale of this book - FINALLY! There hasn't been any other comparable sales. I have always told people, however, that I don't think one can even compare the sales prices of the 9.2 to 9.4 to 9.6 as the variance among them will likely be quite wide. I have no idea what Metro will have as the reserve on their copy, which has never been publicly available for sale to my knowledge, but I recall Stephen saying he valued it at around $130k-$150k a year or two ago. Two years ago Motor City initially wanted $350k for the CGC 9.6, and I believe perhaps would have gone as low as $275k if someone had actually offered cash That still places my copy in the $100k range.

Mark,

If the CGC 9.4 sells for $130K-150K, then in my opinion, no way is a CGC 9.2 a $100K book. More like $70 to 75K for a CGC 9.2 if the CGC 9.4 is at that level. But the CGC 9.4 "should" be "worth" more than $150K (to paraphrase Aman319).

Originally Posted By: Jackcsco

Mark,

If the CGC 9.4 sells for $130K-150K, then in my opinion, no way is a CGC 9.2 a $100K book. More like $70 to 75K for a CGC 9.2 if the CGC 9.4 is at that level. But the CGC 9.4 "should" be "worth" more than $150K (to paraphrase Aman319).

I suppose it is all academic as to what any sale would be at these grade levels since the two highest grades have never publicly sold and the 9.2 hasn't sold in 4 years, but I see absolutely no reason to suspect that a 9.2 would sell for almost half of the 9.4, especially for Showcase #4 where there is only one copy of each. That was the type of formula used years ago for CGC books.

I tend to agree with Mark on this although the recent appearance of the slabbed 9.6 copy probably knocked a little bit of the value off of the 9.2 and 9.4 copies. It would help values overall if the recent era Flash series wasn't so damn boring.

Was the 9.6 copy a recent find or was it well know that the current owner was sitting on a raw gem for years?

I tend to agree with Mark on this although the recent appearance of the slabbed 9.6 copy probably knocked a little bit of the value off of the 9.2 and 9.4 copies. It would help values overall if the recent era Flash series wasn't so damn boring.

Was the 9.6 copy a recent find or was it well know that the current owner was sitting on a raw gem for years?

I think it's the newsboy collection copy that he had sitting raw for a while and got certified a couple of years ago. I also agree that the value of the 9.2/9.4/9.6 is purely academic until they find a willing buyer at a price the seller will agree to accept. None of the copies is fungible, and the 9.2 and 9.6 seem to be accurately graded - so I am not worried about either of them failing to go for full value due to a perception of overgrading. I haven't seen the 9.4, so I don't have an opinion there.