• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE WE SINKING?

81 posts in this topic

Market smarket, I've been buying for 30 years and I'm not gonna stop 'till I have them all. We all know mid grade Silver are common as dirt and sell at a discount to guide. It's been that way for a long time, probably since the guide only had 3 grades . The spread between low grade and high grade has increased dramatically. Every store I know that carries a decent selection of back issues has mid/low grade that sit for years. You can't lose if you buy quality.

I believe a similar market developed long ago in the coin and stamp market.

OS dealer reports - ever the source of truth. And an excellent cross-sectional representation of most comic dealers...

In terms of hype I'd agree, but when these guys actually say something negative about their biz, it's usually the truth.

Yeah, but isn't this, in part, because the OS guys are trying to sell this stuff at guide (so as not to cheapen the product) and are thus having trouble moving it in an ebay/internet savy world?

Then again

I just sold a 6.0 copy of ASM 155 for $5 + $3 s/h - $8 total....That's only $1 total less than OPG. When I do sell this stuff (and when I had 500-700 items going I sold a lot more of it than I do now with only 100), that's what happens. Low dollar stuff, not making a lot of money, but people looking for a specific item....

Don't want to get into a debate with anyone but my personal experience is that if there is a book I want, it is priced over guide. If there is a book that is priced under guide, that makes me become somewhat interested when I would have not been otherwise.

I think that people check out Ebay and see what bargains might be there, without having a certain book in mind, and "sometimes" buy what they consider a bargain even though they were not looking or interested in the book before seeing it. Low ball buying I guess is what it is called.

But put up a Hulk 181, Sgt. Fury 13 or Conan nude variant and the bidding is heated and high.

I will say that sometimes I am surprised on Ebay by a Golden Age rare book that sells for way under guide. I can't explain that. I know that all of us golden age collectors see it and recognize it as a bargain, but we don't "pull the trigger". Must be the economy or holding back, waiting for something more inticing. Since finding this site, I have almost quit checking out Ebay. Just too much of a chance there, to be real disapointed. I have sold on Ebay in the past and never use a reserve. I was extremely disapointed in my final bids there. I auctioned a Hulk 181 in VF or better (that is how I described it), not too long ago, and just got guide. The only thing I do not like about selling here on this forum is not being able to auction. It is fun to auction and you get the top dollar of what you could get, for whatever book. A fixed price is nice for the first guy who sees the ad here, but there obviously are some here that would have paid more for that same book if there was an auction feature here. I guess that makes us visit this site more (thus more hits for ad revenue), as we are afraid we will miss something.

I say the market is strong, but I worry about the CGC 9.8 collecters future. Just too many Wolverine Origins 9.8's (and the like) out there to maintain or increase in value.

Don't want to get into a debate with anyone but my personal experience is that if there is a book I want, it is priced over guide. If there is a book that is priced under guide, that makes me become somewhat interested when I would have not been otherwise.

I think that people check out Ebay and see what bargains might be there, without having a certain book in mind, and "sometimes" buy what they consider a bargain even though they were not looking or interested in the book before seeing it. Low ball buying I guess is what it is called.

But put up a Hulk 181, Sgt. Fury 13 or Conan nude variant and the bidding is heated and high.

I will say that sometimes I am surprised on Ebay by a Golden Age rare book that sells for way under guide. I can't explain that. I know that all of us golden age collectors see it and recognize it as a bargain, but we don't "pull the trigger". Must be the economy or holding back, waiting for something more inticing. Since finding this site, I have almost quit checking out Ebay. Just too much of a chance there, to be real disapointed. I have sold on Ebay in the past and never use a reserve. I was extremely disapointed in my final bids there. I auctioned a Hulk 181 in VF or better (that is how I described it), not too long ago, and just got guide. The only thing I do not like about selling here on this forum is not being able to auction. It is fun to auction and you get the top dollar of what you could get, for whatever book. A fixed price is nice for the first guy who sees the ad here, but there obviously are some here that would have paid more for that same book if there was an auction feature here. I guess that makes us visit this site more (thus more hits for ad revenue), as we are afraid we will miss something.

I say the market is strong, but I worry about the CGC 9.8 collecters future. Just too many Wolverine Origins 9.8's (and the like) out there to maintain or increase in value.

modern CGC 9.8 collecters future will be found out in 5 to 10 years when people who have held on to them start to sell. similar to Ebay. at first it was new and exciting. now that its been around 10 plus years the market for readers common books has leveled off. the top of the line books will always have a market just like a 1957 Corvette. you sell junk you get junk prices, you sell a CGC top of the line key. you get good top of the line prices. junk is junk. quality is quality. simple as that.

junk is junk. quality is quality. simple as that.

No it isn't, as many other hobbies have experienced a decline in all areas, including as you put it, "quality" items. There are no sure things in life, and the more you fool yourself into thinking there are, the more disappointed you'll be in the longterm.

i haven't bought a comic book in months. what with this recession, gas prices, my GF going through surgery, and my hours being slightly cut at work, something has to give. i'd rather cut comics for now, then have to start dipping into my savings account.

Originally Posted By: MR.COMICBOOK
junk is junk. quality is quality. simple as that.<br />

No it isn't, as many other hobbies have experienced a decline in all areas, including as you put it, "quality" items.

There are no sure things in life, and the more you fool yourself into thinking there are, the more disappointed you'll be in the longterm.

95 percent of comics printed from 1966 and onward our junk.I will stick to the 5 percent CGC high grade keys

i haven't bought a comic book in months. what with this recession, gas prices, my GF going through surgery, and my hours being slightly cut at work, something has to give. i'd rather cut comics for now, then have to start dipping into my savings account.
]

Exactly. I could buy my 5 year old son a Superman comic for $2.99 and he will look at it confused for 15 minutes and then throw it in his closet or buy him a Sesame Street dvd for $3.99 and he will play it for hours and learn vocabulary. you don`t get a good value with comics compared to other media.

modern CGC 9.8 collecters future will be found out in 5 to 10 years when people who have held on to them start to sell. similar to Ebay. at first it was new and exciting. now that its been around 10 plus years the market for readers common books has leveled off. the top of the line books will always have a market just like a 1957 Corvette. you sell junk you get junk prices, you sell a CGC top of the line key. you get good top of the line prices. junk is junk. quality is quality. simple as that.

What's junk to you is my highly collectible comic. You sound like one of those people that chase Beanie Babies and baseball cards without having any interest in the objects you buy, just their current market value.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the point was with that post.

However, 98% of the modern comics in 9.8 slabs are quarter box junk. They basically sell for the price of the slab, and the book itself is pretty much worthless. I just can't see them holding even the price of the slab in the long term.

I have sold more $1-$20 back issues this year, than any year in the past 8 years ... the only thing that changed for me was a new infusion of Air Force customers stationed here that love to buy Silver Age books at a comparable price to moderns

just sold a SA run of Daredevil (starting with issue 8), all in the gd to vg range, for average of $7 each... everyone was happy (thumbs u

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for 10 years. I've been able to complete my DC SA superhero collection in 2.0 to 6.0, and buy almost all of them at 40 to 60 % of guide (except for some keys and a few HG books that I got by accident). In the course of that time, I've sold tons of doubles in the same grade (I tried to buy lots whenever possible) ...I sold those at the same rate 40-60% of guide and ONCE in a while, someone would bid over guide, and once in a while, maybe 10 to 20% of guide. It evens out.

Marvels were different, I don't have all of them, and most I bought at shows or from friends. They seem to go higher.

I've just about given up on summers on Ebay, and it's BEEN that way for 10 years, the summers are good for buying, not for selling...

The guide is just a GUIDE, it's not terribly accurate, but it's nice to have in the absence of anything better. It's always been too high on the DCs, and too high on the lower grade Marvels like Daredevil, but I don't have enough experience in the other titles.

I've been selling more on the boards since Ebay changed their fees and stopped showing who we were bidding against, because I'm not happy with that stuff, but I still don't have trouble selling there, and often at more than I ask on the boards, when I do sell.

I get lots of emails when I list, asking if I am going to list more, so it can't be that dead;)

I had a private conversation via this site, concerning this subject and he made some valid points. However, during my part of the conversation, I commented about something that I think might be appropriate here on this thread.

I firmly believe that collecting comic books (or just about anything else) can be an addiction. You know that you should not or really can't afford this or that book, but you just "have to". Collecting can be a strong addiction and every once in awhile you just need a fix. When that "feeling" comes along, many collectors just "have to" buy a book today or tonight, and will find the best thing currently available, here or elsewhere, to get that "fix". Many times, spending money that could better be spent on other matters in life. I am sure that there have been many family arguments over this "fix" buying. One could make all kind of excuses and reasons for buying this or that book (rarity, future value, needed to cmplete a run, etc.), but deep inside "we" know that we should pass.

I admit that sometimes I just buy something because I just "need to" and search for something currently available, and sometimes buy a book that I have never even thought about before. Sometimes because there is a lot of interest by other collectors "so it must be worth buying".

So............if it is an addiction, then the market will always be there. It may grow slightly smaller but people will get their "fix" regardless. Just think about cigarettes and prohibition, or of course, drugs. I just purchased a book last month that I regretted the moment the deal closed. Stupid on my part, but I needed a fix.

No, I didn't spend money needed by my family for other things, but I did buy a book or two that I really could care less about and had never had them on my "want list".

I need help. What is the web site for CCA (Comic Collectors Anonymous :)

Originally Posted By: MR.

What's junk to you is my highly collectible comic. You sound like one of those people that chase Beanie Babies and baseball cards without having any interest in the objects you buy, just their current market value.

if I am buying comics to read from the 1966 era and up, I am buying Absolute Editions,Marvel Essentials,DC Showcases,DC Archives,Marvel Masterworks, Marvel Omnibus and tons of trade paperbacks. if I am buying comics to collect. I buy high grade CGC and keys(any grade if price is right).this is a answer to op`s original post. most collectors are doing what I am doing now.no one really wants to buy a pile of worthless floppies any more.

I think conditionfreak has been talking to my wife.

I buy most of my comics for my grandson but now and then

I just need a fix. So I can blame my grandson to get my fix.

This topic has been around the horn. I have noticed some here

are very attached to e-bay.

The thing is I have a basement full of books that are not 9.8’s.

Now I buy comics that are graded or new. This way what I pass on will be

able to be graded.

So I am not just a high grade collector it is that I have all of the

mid grade books I need.

When people say they hate high grade collectors, they don't know of

the thousands of mid grades I have.

I think conditionfreak has been talking to my wife.

I buy most of my comics for my grandson but now and then

I just need a fix. So I can blame my grandson to get my fix.

This topic has been around the horn. I have noticed some here

are very attached to e-bay.

The thing is I have a basement full of books that are not 9.8’s.

Now I buy comics that are graded or new. This way what I pass on will be

able to be graded.

So I am not just a high grade collector it is that I have all of the

mid grade books I need.

When people say they hate high grade collectors, they don't know of

the thousands of mid grades I have.

Welcome to the boards, Lucky. (thumbs uI don't hate high grade collectors, I hate it when high grade collectors tell me I collect junk.