• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what books are you watching in the comicconnect event auction?

116 posts in this topic

Dear Consignors and Bidders,

This is an emergency notice: Toward the closing time of the 1st session of the ComicConnect.com Event Auction our servers were overloaded by the high traffic of last minute bidding and locked up. Bidders were unable to get onto the site, as I am sure many of you are aware. To be fair to all consignors and bidders we are extending Session I (lots A-G) to end tomorrow, Sunday, September 28th at 10 PM EST, and Session II (lots H-Z) to end Monday, September 29th at 10 PM EST. On behalf of everyone at ComicConnect.com I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we hope you will continue to participate in the auction on Sunday and Monday. If there is anything we can help you with please call us at 212-895-3999 or email support@comicconnect.com.

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

This is an emergency notice: Toward the closing time of the 1st session of the ComicConnect.com Event Auction our servers were overloaded by the high traffic of last minute bidding and locked up. Bidders were unable to get onto the site, as I am sure many of you are aware. To be fair to all consignors and bidders we are extending Session I (lots A-G) to end tomorrow, Sunday, September 28th at 10 PM EST, and Session II (lots H-Z) to end Monday, September 29th at 10 PM EST. On behalf of everyone at ComicConnect.com I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we hope you will continue to participate in the auction on Sunday and Monday. If there is anything we can help you with please call us at 212-895-3999 or email support@comicconnect.com.

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

vincent, will you all be able to increase your server capacity by tomorrow night?

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

So when servers lock up with last minute bidding on Sunday, the ending of auctions will move to Monday? And Monday (formerly Sunday) ending auctions will move to Tuesday (or Wednesday, or ...)?

How do we know this isn`t going to happen again tomorrow night? Are you planning on significantly upgrading your servers in the next 24 hours? I suddenly have these visions of bidding on these same auctions next week...

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

So when servers lock up with last minute bidding on Sunday, the ending of auctions will move to Monday? And Monday (formerly Sunday) ending auctions will move to Tuesday (or Wednesday, or ...)?

lol (thumbs u

As Metropolis/ComicConnect will tell you, grading is subjective, and so is time. You know, when you get a book graded by CGC it's really just another opinion. When you look at your clock, it's really just an opinion too. I mean, the whole concept of "time zones" is really vague and just a convenience for us all. Really with each fraction of an inch you move East or West time changes. Plus you throw in that whole 'relativity' thing with velocity.

As Metropolis/ComicConnect will tell you, grading is subjective, and so is time. You know, when you get a book graded by CGC it's really just another opinion. When you look at your clock, it's really just an opinion too. I mean, the whole concept of "time zones" is really vague and just a convenience for us all. Really with each fraction of an inch you move East or West time changes. Plus you throw in that whole 'relativity' thing with velocity.

:roflmao:

Well, why didn`t Metro just say so? If they had just said they were invoking the Einstein Clause, which has been ratified by every nation on earth, everyone would be saying "of course", instead of saying "what a total freakin` amateur hour"!

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

This is total BS!! So I place a maximum bid @ 3:30 because I won't be around to "snipe" at 9:59pm, and all the Snipers cause a slow down of the site just before the 10pm, so the price I would have paid @ 10pm (or 10:30pm according to Metro logic) will now be possibly hundreds of $$ more due to further bidding by 10pm TOMORROW night ?????!!!!!! Isn't there a warning on their site about the risks of waiting until the last minute to place a shill bid??? Who else thinks this stinks something awful and would I be out of line if I decided not to pay any extra $$ caused by bids beyond 10pm EST Saturday???? This is really a new low for them I think!

Totally pissed Fish

From cc's bidding details:

"We have taken many steps to prepare our servers to handle the huge response the auction will receive, and to identify and prevent causes for "denial of service". Nevertheless, high volume of legitimate traffic during the final hours of the auction is likely to result in slower page-load times. Whereas ComicConnect has no rules against "sniping", we strongly, STRONGLY, caution all participants against waiting until the 11th hour to place bids. "

Evidently, server overload is something that cc expects to occur towards the end of every auction.

And they know my maximum bids, and they know the "wiggle" room between current high bid and the maximums.......I'm not saying conspiracy, but why should I be punished because I did the "correct" thing and didn't snipe.....24 hours for my winning price to possibly be hundreds of $$ more than at 10pm Saturday...no freeaaekin way!

From cc's bidding details:

"We have taken many steps to prepare our servers to handle the huge response the auction will receive, and to identify and prevent causes for "denial of service". Nevertheless, high volume of legitimate traffic during the final hours of the auction is likely to result in slower page-load times. Whereas ComicConnect has no rules against "sniping", we strongly, STRONGLY, caution all participants against waiting until the 11th hour to place bids. "

:(

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

More Information-

One of the key factors impacting the server outage was the loading of enlarged comic images on the auction pages. Our programmers are fast at work taking steps to eliminate this problem in future auctions. To ensure the same problem does not happen again Sunday night, we will be turning off large images from displaying on the site at 9:30 PM. Please take time between now and then if you need to take additional views of the enlarged images of the auction lots upon which you are bidding.

Once again on behalf of everyone at ComicConnect, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we hope you will continue to participate in the auction on Sunday and Monday. We thank all members of the community who called in or emailed to offer their support this evening and thank you for your patience in this matter. If there is anything we can help you with, please call us at 212-895-3999 or email support@comicconnect.com.

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo & The Staff of ComicConnect

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

This is total BS!! So I place a maximum bid @ 3:30 because I won't be around to "snipe" at 9:59pm, and all the Snipers cause a slow down of the site just before the 10pm, so the price I would have paid @ 10pm (or 10:30pm according to Metro logic) will now be possibly hundreds of $$ more due to further bidding by 10pm TOMORROW night ?????!!!!!! Isn't there a warning on their site about the risks of waiting until the last minute to place a shill bid??? Who else thinks this stinks something awful and would I be out of line if I decided not to pay any extra $$ caused by bids beyond 10pm EST Saturday???? This is really a new low for them I think!

Totally pissed Fish

True dat

Bids are pretty high on the raw Actions. $1385 for a raw Action #44 5.5, and $975 for a raw Action #43 5.0.

I don't see either of those books in the auction right now. Were they pulled? (shrug)

Very strange. They've both been removed from the live auction. The Action #44 still shows up in my watched items, but says "this book has been sold", and the winning bid is $814. I swear that book was at $1385 when I posted last night.

The Action #43 has completely vanished. hm

Bids are pretty high on the raw Actions. $1385 for a raw Action #44 5.5, and $975 for a raw Action #43 5.0.

I don't see either of those books in the auction right now. Were they pulled? (shrug)

Very strange. They've both been removed from the live auction. The Action #44 still shows up in my watched items, but says "this book has been sold", and the winning bid is $814. I swear that book was at $1385 when I posted last night.

There seemed to be a lot of inconsistency with the entire auction results from last night (even before the website went down). I'm not exactly sure if it's due to the recent economic downturn, a smaller pool of bidders vs. ComicLink and Heritage, the large percentage of items with reserves that people had to muddle through, the significant number of raw books from Metro's site, or the fact that the website went down a couple of times during the week. A few days ago I couldn't even get on for almost 2 hours during the afternoon (same thing with Metro's site).

I only consigned 2 books, but will probably stick with more consistent auction sites like ComicLink, which seem to generate a bigger buzz. Heck, I thought the recent offerings on ComicConnect were incredible, but the level of collector enthisiasm was almost non existent on these boards compared to Heritage or CL.

Some major key books did extremely well (AF #15, Avengers #1, etc.), but the perhaps due to a smaller number of bidders, a lot of books seemed to go unnoticed. Frankly, this is what I'd expect from Ebay auctions. I do understand that anything can happen at auctions and books could sell for less than expected, but the percentage difference seems very high to me. For instance, 9.0 copies of Batman #'s 13 and 17 have bids that are way less than GPA prices from years ago (neither of them are my books). As a first time consigner, I must say that I'm disappointed with the whole process!

Due to last nights website collapse, I'm sure that a lot of would be bidders will be turned away to the second batch of books that were supposed to end tonight, and have moved to tomorrow night.

There seemed to be a lot of inconsistency with the entire auction results from last night (even before the website went down). I'm not exactly sure if it's due to the recent economic downturn, a smaller pool of bidders vs. ComicLink and Heritage, the large percentage of items with reserves that people had to muddle through, the significant number of raw books from Metro's site, or the fact that the website went down a couple of times during the week. A few days ago I couldn't even get on for almost 2 hours during the afternoon (same thing with Metro's site).

I only consigned 2 books, but will probably stick with more consistent auction sites like ComicLink, which seem to generate a bigger buzz. Heck, I thought the recent offerings on ComicConnect were incredible, but the level of collector enthisiasm was almost non existent on these boards compared to Heritage or CL.

Some major key books did extremely well (AF #15, Avengers #1, etc.), but the perhaps due to a smaller number of bidders, a lot of books seemed to go unnoticed. Frankly, this is what I'd expect from Ebay auctions. I do understand that anything can happen at auctions and books could sell for less than expected, but the percentage difference seems very high to me. For instance, 9.0 copies of Batman #'s 13 and 17 have bids that are way less than GPA prices from years ago (neither of them are my books). As a first time consigner, I must say that I'm disappointed with the whole process!

Due to last nights website collapse, I'm sure that a lot of would be bidders will be turned away to the second batch of books that were supposed to end tonight, and have moved to tomorrow night.

One of my gripes with ComicConnect is the complete lack of "marketing" of the book on its own page. I mean, with both Comiclink and Heritage, you get information like "Highest graded", notable appearances, sales data (with Heritage anyway), and other useful snippets that can help "sell" the book to a potential bidder. You get the "highest graded" part with ComicConnect but little else.

Unless my books fetch some strong prices tomorrow night, I doubt I will be using them again anytime soon. I'll chalk it up as a learning lesson and move on.