• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

To the rest of GI Joe Collecting community here I am glad I never got rid of my original comics from when I was a kid. I still have them and I still read them. They sure were hard to come by every issue as I lived in small town. My favorite ARAH issues were from #24 up to around # 60, especially the creation of "Cobra Island". I have some really mint doubles that I plan on having CGC'd eventually. Those are Zeck covers. Anybody know why Mike Zeck seemed to be on every cover yet I cannot really find an issue with his art work inside? It reminds me somewhat of how the late SA Fantastic 4 had Kirby on every cover but different artists inside. Do you think it was just to sell more issues?Special missions had some classic war writing in it as well. I think it was issue #2 or #3 that had the Nazi story line. GI Joe Frontline is another great read. I love the Zanya covers! I hope to post here again in the future.YO JOE!

Anybody know why Mike Zeck seemed to be on every cover yet I cannot really find an issue with his art work inside?

Yes, Mike was the cover artist for many of the covers between issues #24-#65 as well as the first 8 issues of Special Missions. He did draw one interior story (as well as the covers and some pin-ups) in Yearbook #3. In part, Mike was drawing other interiors at the time (little series called Secret Wars and the Punisher that you may have heard of). The best use of Mike's time was to focus on the covers and that's what drew people into read the books.

Larry Hama actually did layouts for many of the covers that he would hand over to Zeck to build out. Ironically, Mike didn't think a lot of people really were paying attention to his G.I. Joe covers when he was drawing them - that is why you don't see all of them signed by Zeck.

But, yes, he drew some classic covers during that run - as did Golden and Byrne!

Edited by comiconxion

Anybody know why Mike Zeck seemed to be on every cover yet I cannot really find an issue with his art work inside?

Yes, Mike was the cover artist for many of the covers between issues #24-#65 as well as the first 8 issues of Special Missions. He did draw one interior story (as well as the covers and some pin-ups) in Yearbook #3. In part, Mike was drawing other interiors at the time (little series called Secret Wars and the Punisher that you may have heard of). The best use of Mike's time was to focus on the covers and that's what drew people into read the books.

Larry Hama actually did layouts for many of the covers that he would hand over to Zeck to build out. Ironically, Mike didn't think a lot of people really were paying attention to his G.I. Joe covers when he was drawing them - that is why you don't see all of them signed by Zeck.

But, yes, he drew some classic covers during that run - as did Golden and Byrne!

That's really cool information, I wondered why he didn't sign some of his covers. I had him sign Yearbook 3 at the Big Wow con because he drew the really awesome cover and it had a silent story. Wish it kept the 9.8 grade though.

<a  href=017_zps7c0704ff.jpg' alt='017_zps7c0704f

Yes, the Yearbook #3 cover is one of his best! The original art for the front and back covers is currently in its last days on display at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco. If you can't make the exhibit, you can find it in the Raw Fury book that can be purchased through Mike Zeck's website (www.mikezeck.com). You can also see all the cool Joe covers he created featured on the site... in many cases he also features the pencil and/or B&W art so you can see the evolution of the covers.

To the rest of GI Joe Collecting community here I am glad I never got rid of my original comics from when I was a kid. I still have them and I still read them. They sure were hard to come by every issue as I lived in small town. My favorite ARAH issues were from #24 up to around # 60, especially the creation of "Cobra Island". I have some really mint doubles that I plan on having CGC'd eventually. Those are Zeck covers. Anybody know why Mike Zeck seemed to be on every cover yet I cannot really find an issue with his art work inside? It reminds me somewhat of how the late SA Fantastic 4 had Kirby on every cover but different artists inside. Do you think it was just to sell more issues?Special missions had some classic war writing in it as well. I think it was issue #2 or #3 that had the Nazi story line. GI Joe Frontline is another great read. I love the Zanya covers! I hope to post here again in the future.YO JOE!

What would you say was the GI Joe comic book peak?

I thought GI Joe 1 to 50 was an amazing run.

I would personally say that the GI Joe comics peaked around issue 40. I feel the series had pitt-erred :D by 70 or so. I also think it picked back up towards the end though. But as far as the art, the plot, and the character development I would say between issues 40-43. I know alot of people are just in love with "the silent issue"(#21) BTW Larry Hama wrote that and left out the words in order to save on production times, but the storyline really did not start to develop until after issue 24. Then leading into the intro of the Dreadnoks. I am not Cobra fan but it just goes to show what an amazing writer Hama is. But I digress, Issues 40-43.Amazing. ND.

I have these 2 coming as well from Jeff Edwards:

I am very excited about the GI Joe blanks we have been getting lately!

AshikageDiptychInk_zps30d5c4c5.jpg

Very cool! :o Did you give him that concept idea? It's really well done, congrats. :applause:

I would personally say that the GI Joe comics peaked around issue 40. I feel the series had pitt-erred :D by 70 or so. I also think it picked back up towards the end though. But as far as the art, the plot, and the character development I would say between issues 40-43. I know alot of people are just in love with "the silent issue"(#21) BTW Larry Hama wrote that and left out the words in order to save on production times, but the storyline really did not start to develop until after issue 24. Then leading into the intro of the Dreadnoks. I am not Cobra fan but it just goes to show what an amazing writer Hama is. But I digress, Issues 40-43.Amazing. ND.

I remember when I first picked up issue 21 I was pissed! I felt cheated that there was no words; in fact I remember thinking it must be a printing error! lol - I appreciate it a lot more now.

Issues 26 & 27 was my favorite by far and probably solidified my love for GI Joe. I stopped reading originally around issue 65ish. It was probably more due to "teen" distractions (cars, friends, GIRLS) rather than my opinion of the stories. Of course since then I've read them all more than once and I agree that the latter books just don't have the same attraction; especially the last 60 issues are so with several exceptions of course (155 is right at the top of my favorite stories).

Welcome - good to see you in the 'Joe thread; far to few of us in here! :sumo:

Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, Firefly, and Zartan were my favorite characters, so 21, and 24 - 27 were like gold to me. lol

I was facinated with the whole Snake-Eyes & Storm Shadow stuff. I also really like #36, and read that issue a ton of times. The story with SE & Scarlet was really cool to me, and the ending had me convinced SE face looked the way McFarlane eventually made Spawns.

I think the cover that got me the most excited to read the comic was issue #55.

Had Hama down for a convention here and he still talks about all that like it was yesterday. It was fun to pick his brain. He was like a machine churning out sketches and sigs. Put the younger artists to shame.

Amazing little world he created.

Thank you for the welcome. I really enjoy being here. I remember when issue 26 & 27 came out they were soooooo cool. Snake eyes was a total mystery until then, but it was such rich story telling.I think it really helped to develop my young mind to read all of the twists in plot that were created. How the good guy wore black yet the bad guy wore white. The brothers in arms that were now battling each other. The two characters pasts together intertwined with tales of the martial arts;its all a big part of what has made me a fan for so long. I think my favorite cover ever is issue #52.

Well the series IMO does continue to pick up for a while after issue 50. It really is good for a long while. By my estimate if you wanted the rest of the run in graphic novel form you would might be looking at spending another $200 total. Although I have moved on to the more recent GI Joe series, which are great, I have not personally read the last 25 issues or so of the original series so I myself am looking forward to definitely picking up those books soon . So to make a lame answer short, yes but it is up to how much you are willing to spend. You can always stop when you want that way too. Enjoy!

I have a question pertaining to some GI Joe comics that I have that I think may require some expertise. I realize that I might be redirected to a general copper age discussion but I figured this would be the best place to start since I believe I have seen some discussion generally pertaining to the topic here already. I was hoping someone could give me information about determining what printing my GI Joe comics are with total certainty. I am concerned with the issues between 50-60 mainly. I already know the obvious way to check is look at the indicia for the words 2nd print but I also am aware that with these issues in particular it is not that obvious. I also know how to check the adverts but I have gotten beyond that too and I realize even that is not the most obvious way. i.e. I have 2 copies of #52. One of which I bought off the news stand in the 80's & I believe it to be a first print. It matches a second copy I have that I picked up a few years l8r(direct edition) . It is a mirror image ads, letters and all. I further checked those against another Marvel comic printed that same month and all of the printing matches. I am still not convinced because as far as I know the 2nd print came out the same year, hence the ads could be deceptive. What I want to know is does anyone know is there another definitive way to check other than that?Thanks!

I have a question pertaining to some GI Joe comics that I have that I think may require some expertise. I realize that I might be redirected to a general copper age discussion but I figured this would be the best place to start since I believe I have seen some discussion generally pertaining to the topic here already. I was hoping someone could give me information about determining what printing my GI Joe comics are with total certainty. I am concerned with the issues between 50-60 mainly. I already know the obvious way to check is look at the indicia for the words 2nd print but I also am aware that with these issues in particular it is not that obvious. I also know how to check the adverts but I have gotten beyond that too and I realize even that is not the most obvious way. i.e. I have 2 copies of #52. One of which I bought off the news stand in the 80's & I believe it to be a first print. It matches a second copy I have that I picked up a few years l8r(direct edition) . It is a mirror image ads, letters and all. I further checked those against another Marvel comic printed that same month and all of the printing matches. I am still not convinced because as far as I know the 2nd print came out the same year, hence the ads could be deceptive. What I want to know is does anyone know is there another definitive way to check other than that?Thanks!

http://mycomicshop.com/search?TID=287161