• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN 94 CGC 9.6

484 posts in this topic

Holy cow!!!... 893whatthe.gif

You can get a hooker for $20 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's a combo deal, and you get your choice of sides: Genital warts, or a burning sensation when you urinate. $20 still goes pretty far....

and a crab appetizer

I bet the poor sap who "wins" this book will feel like the drunk guy the morning after

u know... i really don't think so.

i think the winner will be some guy who's been watching the auction all week - has convinced himself that this is an investment ladden with gold, and snipes at the last minute.

i don't see the winner as being someone who does it haphazardly. i can't see anyone spending that much money in a haphazard manner....

I bet the poor sap who "wins" this book will feel like the drunk guy the morning after he remembers he picked up a $20 hooker the night before - hazy, befuddled and wondering where all the money that use to be in his wallet went. I bet in about 6 months when he finds he can't unload this rare gem for anything but a loss, he will be posting on here about the big crash and how he was duped into wasting his money - like our other crash trolls who thought it was a good idea to try "investing" or speculating in bronze and modern books. If only our beloved crash trolls could have reached him before the insane bidding!!!! Someone please forward the guy that whole thread about comics as a stupid investment. If that whole thread only saves one person it well be worth all the drivel and know-it-allness wrapped up in that 20 plus page exercise in futility.

So, by that logic, a Crash is impossible because ANY amount spent on a book that results in a loss is merely the result of poor business acumen and thus the only trend can be an upward one? My, aren't we Miss Molly Sunshine?

The X-men 94 sold for $6900, about 7 times guide...and yet a 9.4 Military Comics Mile High sat unsold in last weeks Heritage auction for 1.9 times guide, that's just plain stupid!

Timely

Good point Timely....To me the mindset of many collectors seems topsy-turvy... foreheadslap.gif

Why? There are only 13 in 9.6 and 56 in 9.4. It's rare. makepoint.gif

Madness like this makes me want to quit collecting and take a very long break.

It's like some recurring nightmare that I already know how it ends.

What makes it worse is that the number of 9.6's on the census has increased by more than double in such a short time. I better shell out 7K before it's too late.

What makes it worse is that the number of 9.6's on the census has increased by more than double in such a short time.

That's when it starts getting scary, as some are obviously looking to cash-out. I used to think X-Men 94 was one of the rarer Bronze keys (relatively speaking grin.gif) but then I noticed a certain seller blowing off stacks of 9.0-9.6 level copies week after week.

If you're paying $7K for some CGC 9.6 Bronze book, then you're probably living in a house of cards.

Why? There are only 13 in 9.6 and 56 in 9.4. It's rare. makepoint.gif

Madness like this makes me want to quit collecting and take a very long break.

Posts like yours make me want to quit reading and take a very long break.

EARTH TO JOE_COLLECTOR: WE GET IT.

That CGC 9.4 copy is easily the best of the lot, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it right near the price of the crapola 9.6.

For once a member of the Market Crash Mafia actually "puts his money where his mouth is". Let's see how he did: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

X-men #94 CGC 9.6 NM+ = $6900

X-men #94 CGC 9.4 NM = $2213

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

For once a member of the Market Crash Mafia actually "puts his money where his mouth is". Let's see how he did:

I hope you have enough money to buy a sense of humor and recognize a bit of sarcasm here and there.

I have long-term data on all X-Men CGC sales, and I'd have to be bonged up as much as MHC to think the insufficiently_thoughtful_person specs would pay 9.6 prices for a 9.4.

Grow up.

Even though this is a ridiculously high price for a bronze age book, prices have been up acrooss the board on ebay with all sorts of new buyers jumping on board - they must really believe that Bush jr has fixed the economy! Look at that FF 16 9.0 - I paid not much more than that for a 9.2 last year! These last few weeks have definitely been a boom time for sellers on ebay - but it won't last forever and I bet the next phase of the cycle will kick in after Christmas. I think this happens every year on ebay - and the less knowledgeable end up paying crazy prices by buying at the wrong time.

For once a member of the Market Crash Mafia actually "puts his money where his mouth is". Let's see how he did:

I hope you have enough money to buy a sense of humor and recognize a bit of sarcasm here and there.

That's one possibility.

The other is that you guys talk out of your *rses, because you see everyone else buying great books that you can't afford, or other people getting amazing prices on books they sell, and are just plain jealous.

There IS no crash, and the one time we get to test your "theories" with some concrete evidence we see what happens. blush.gif

The other is that you guys talk out of your *!rses, because you see everyone else buying great books that you can't afford, or other people getting amazing prices on books they sell, and are just plain jealous.

Now you're trotting out the old "they're all jealous" strawman, so can name-calling and vulgarity be far behind?

I passed over poorly-produced copies like that for $100 in the mid-80 to late-80's, on my quest for a nicely-centered, NM issue, and if I wouldn't pay $100 for low-QP then, you can be danged sure I wouldn't pay $7K today.

As for being jealous of the money generated, I'm doing quite well without needing to fleece the insufficiently_thoughtful_person speculators, and besides, I sleep well at night. cloud9.gif

I passed over poorly-produced copies like that for $100 in the mid-80 to late-80's, on my quest for a nicely-centered, NM issue

More fool you. They are worth 7K now !!! boo.gif

Besides which, who outside of this board really cares if a beautiful, flawless NM+ 9.6 book has a slight mis-wrap ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just to jump into this little sign-rantpost.gif that's brewing. How is he fleecing someone if they freely bid for it??

I really don't want to get into this, but it all comes down to personal preference.

I used to buy collections for my own consumption, and since I have a fat bank account and still have contacts, I could easily jump into the CGC game and make some serious cash.

To be honest, I have given this some thought and almost sent out some feelers, but I simply do not feel comfortable selling anything at such inflated prices. It doesn't matter if it's comics, cards or basically anything, I just can't willingly take advantage of a speculator market, even to the point of keeping multiple keys sitting in Mylars.

I choose not to join in the madness, while others do. I'm not right and they're wrong, there's nothing illegal or totally unethical about it, and I think it really comes down to my unwillingness to contribute to the boom/bust cycle, either on the buying or selling end of things.

Once the Reaper comes calling and the bankruptcies start, I'll have a clear conscience.

More fool you. They are worth 7K now !!! boo.gif

Who cares? The day I need to make my money selling funny books will be a dark one indeed. I collect comics, and have always looked for well-centered, premium copies.

What others do with their low-QP rejects is of little concern to me.