• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Club?
22 22

1,041 posts in this topic

What's the FMV of a Spidey 1 9.2 ?

100k?

Someday but not currently. Believe it not, I am a bit disappointed with the page quality.

The general opinion before submission was it had a chance at White.

If a 9.2 copy of Showcase #4 has already sold for 100K, so to will ASM #1 in due time. I don't personally feel that time to be too far off. Other books (the aforementioned) are rarer in both totality and high grade, but eventually it will come down to the desirability, impact, modern-connection and importance of "said book".

Times have changed and the former grails of yesteryear will continue to take a back seat to the next tier of grails featuring the marquee characters. Similar to how Action #7 and Tec #29 have pulled ahead of former grails featuring 1st appearances of lesser characters (Flash Comics #1, Advenure #40, etc.) -- I believe that ASM #1 will pull ahead of books like Showcase #4, FF #1, etc. due to many factors, not the least of which being...

Spiderman.

100k?

Someday but not currently. Believe it not, I am a bit disappointed with the page quality.

If a 9.2 copy of Showcase #4 has already sold for 100K, so to will ASM #1 in due time. I don't personally feel that time to be too far off. Other books (the aforementioned) are rarer in both totality and high grade, but eventually it will come down to the desirability, impact, modern-connection and importance of "said book".

Times have changed and the former grails of yesteryear will continue to take a back seat to the next tier of grails featuring the marquee characters. Similar to how Action #7 and Tec #29 have pulled ahead of former grails featuring 1st appearances of lesser characters (Flash Comics #1, Advenure #40, etc.) -- I believe that ASM #1 will pull ahead of books like Showcase #4, FF #1, etc. due to many factors, not the least of which being...

Spiderman.

Keep in mind there are numerous Spidey 1s out there in all grades. Rarity has a say in value. (thumbs u

100k?

Spiderman.

Keep in mind there are numerous Spidey 1s out there in all grades. Rarity has a say in value. (thumbs u

Of course and trust me, I hear you. (thumbs u

But similar to how Batman #1's will always out-sell the rarer, tougher to find in all grades, 1st appearance issues of lesser known superheroes -- ASM #1 will eventually stand tall above all others, sans AF #15.

That's one helluva book that Bob has there and a keeper. There has been two recorded sell of ASM1 in 9.2 in 2012, which sold for around $60K. AMS1 reminds me of a Superman 1, which a popular character having his own title for the first time. Batman 1 has a lot going for it: first title devoted to Batman, first appearance Joker/Catwoman.

1111-1.jpg

CGC BLUE LABEL

bomber-bob 9.2 OW/W PAGE 24 PHOTO

fantastic_four 9.0 OW PAGE 5

sartre 8.5 OW/W PAGE 23 PHOTO

Korvac Saga 8.5 OW PAGE 10

Roulette44 7.0 OW/W PAGE 18

mar-vell 7.0 OW PAGE 4

bomber-bob 6.0 OW/W PAGE 18

Bruno_s4 5.5 OW PAGE 9

squidmo2000 5.0 OW/W PAGE 3

Deanokeeno 5.0 OW/W PAGE 11

chainnball 5.0 CR/OW PAGE 19

Spideymanfan73 4.5 OW/W PAGE 8

Tsimanga 4.5 OW PAGE 13

silverweb 4.5 OW PAGE 19

telerites 4.0 OW/W PAGE 22

spidey78 4.0 OW/W PAGE 14

Columbia Comics 3.5 OW/W PAGE 22

dscott 3.5 CR/OW PAGE 17

Ramses717 3.5 CR/OW PAGE 15

mysterio 3.0 OW/W PAGE 7

Hado 3.0 OW PAGE 22

Twistty1 3.0 OW PAGE 2

*Bronze age fan* 2.5 OW/W PAGE 4

ThoseBackPages 2.0 CR/OW PAGE 9

Mr. Lodge 1.8 OW PAGE 23 PHOTO

Mac Man 1.0 CR/OW PAGE 1

cloudofwit 1.0 OW/W PAGE 6

CGC SS YELLOW LABEL

piper 3.5 CR/OW PAGE 1

JeresyComicBoy 2.0 OW/W PAGE

RAW BOOKS

Stronguy RAW PAGE 2

Kevin.J RAW/UK PAGE 4

Miamiknight3434 RAW PAGE 9

KirbyJack RAW PAGE 18

marvelcollector RAW PAGE 21

MrBigFeathers RAW PAGE 20

oakman29 RAW PAGE 23 PHOTO

ft88 RAW PAGE 24 PHOTO

jmg3637 RAW PAGE 24 PHOTO

CGC RESTORED PURPLE LABEL

Count 8.0 W PAGE 1

comicdey 3.0 OW/W PAGE 5

mary-jane-watson.jpg

Current count 40 members

over 2,100 graded copies. You have to believe there are at least 10X that left ungraded, IMO.

That would leave 90% of all copies in existence raw.

I have to very respectfully disagree.

Over 50%, if not well over 50% of the copies we see made available are slabbed.

Very unlikely that 90% of all remaining copies are raw.

Why would a collector slab a raw book if they weren't going to sell it? My number might/might not be right. I personally know a collector that has several raw copies of ASM 1. He has no intention of slabbing them until he sells them. I'm sure there are many more similar collectors out there.

over 2,100 graded copies. You have to believe there are at least 10X that left ungraded, IMO.

That would leave 90% of all copies in existence raw.

I have to very respectfully disagree.

Over 50%, if not well over 50% of the copies we see made available are slabbed.

Very unlikely that 90% of all remaining copies are raw.

Don't know if you saw it, but over in the AF #15 thread, G.A.tor asserted that he wouldn't be surprised if there were 12,500 to 25,000 copies of AF #15 (5-10% of a reported 250,000 original print run). He's not the final authority on this discussion, but I think his opinion has value simply because of his experience in the hobby. IF he's in the ball park, then something relatively similar, it seems, would be going on with ASM #1.

CGC will be celebrating their 13th anniversary come January and even though that's a decent chunk of time, it's not quite even a generation. So I think after, say, 25 years it'll be interesting to see the figures (but I do think there's tons of collectors, as scooter99 suggests, that do not have their copies slabbed).

Incidentally, in January of this year I noted how many total copies of Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and Amazing Fantasy #15 there were on the CGC census. In ten months, here's how things have changed: over 200 more copies of AF #15; 4 more of Tec #27; and 2 more of Action #1.

Edited by cloudofwit