• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your opinion? A comic book bubble?

107 posts in this topic

If we should be talking about bubbles lets talk about the gas bubble.

People created 150 a barrel not the oil supply itself.

Stupid oil futures and terrible investors.

Wall Street needed a clean out, I am glad some of these tuff times are happening.

I am sad some people lossed there homes, but alot of people shouldnt have even bought the house in the first place, so I blame the buyers and the sub prime lenders.

Honestly I believe most of the people should not be helped out what so ever because how many of you guys pay your mortgagee on time and see some dumba@@ is now getting help from the governement so they dont get foreclosed on where they should not have even gotten approved for the mortgagee in the first place.

Comic Bubble.....forget about it!

BUY HG AND ENJOY LIFE!

rantrant

He thought he was going to retire based on his card sales?

And spiderman-on-tilt funny we had very similar posts back to back (last page). I think sometimes people need a little perspective on our crisis before comparing it to the Great Depression.

I know, as I was actively buying BA after the Independent crash and the 90's speculator crashes, and the environment was quite a bit different. Dirt-cheap prices, sellers competing for buyers and lots of excuses from *current collectors* why no one was buying then.

I was buying them. Picked up all those GR marvel spotlights as a group for $1 each (even #5!) (o.k., sure, I also had to take a few Adventure into Fears with Morbius as part of the package).

Irrittated that I never found myself a really cheap ASM 129 at that time. I guess I didn't look in the right places.

unfortunately, i didn't think it all through very well and chased cheap rather than chased smart. had i focused on HG rather than loading up on titles i liked at various grades i could get all those home improvements accomplished that i want done.

the economic fiasco right now seems to be the short term credit crunch as much as anything. retailers are afraid to place orders, which they do on credit, and everything has lurched to a stop. my friend works for one of the major booze companies and it's killing them even though these tough times should be good times for booze sellers! but liquor stores are afraid to do their usual big holiday orders, etc. clothing stores are afraid to buy for their spring collection because they're afraid they can't move their fall and winter clothes.

buying is just way down.

the good thing is that i think this short-term crunch can be dealt with...but the solution has an inflationary impact.

Since CGC has come into light, there has been some down times as well. A couple of examples off the top of my head...Golden Age books being dumped in great numbers, via Heritage and a few other outlets, due to a major player letting loose his hoards...

There was some good deals on Golden age books during that time.

Really? When was this?

that's why I don't buy anymore. Honestly, at today's price levels I bet 90%+ of the collector pool no longer feels comfortable buying them purely as collectible objects

it depends on what you collect. i enjoy the hunt "for a deal" so I can get a lot of fun out of a couple of hundred bucks at a show or being the first to snag some goodies here.

ebay, with all the sniping, has become too big a headache for me, though i still sell there.

John, I like some of your posts.

:kidaround:

Seriously, I think the only reason that we have not felt this a bit more than people did many years ago is because most of us have a line of credit to fall back on.

Is there anyone out there without ANY credit at all to fall back on? No credit card, no line of credit, no overdraft protection? Anyone? I'll bet less than 1% of the people on here can say that.

Also, because many people have been putting money away for years into RSP, RRSP or collectibles they can *draw* blood from a stone if need be. Sure it may be less than you put in but it's not like the great depression where if you didn't have cash you didn't eat.

Anyhow, there are many reasons these are tough but manageable times. I just thought I'd throw this out there.

R.

Since CGC has come into light, there has been some down times as well. A couple of examples off the top of my head...Golden Age books being dumped in great numbers, via Heritage and a few other outlets, due to a major player letting loose his hoards...

There was some good deals on Golden age books during that time.

Really? When was this?

I don't know about 4 years ago ? Wasn't it Jay Parrino ?

I can't believe people pay $20 to $25 each (or more) newly released books, just because they are in a CGC case. Those books will eventually be destined for the quarter boxes. I can't see this leading to anything but trouble on that front.

gotta agree w/ this one

There has been a comic pricing bubble for decades. Every time record prices have been set there have been naysayers pointing fingers and screaming "the end is near!!".

When Action #1 was breaking records every year....$5000, $10,000 every body thought the buyer was insane.

When Dave Anderson bought the Mile High Action #1-20 (or whatever it was) for an unheard of amount (what was it $25,000?) he was almost laughed to scorn.

Really, nobody knows when. Nobody. What goes up ALWAYS comes down but when that happens is all a matter of fate. If the bubble bursts in our life time, fine. If not well then someone decades from now might be wondering the same thing. When.

If anybody knew when, they wouldn't be hanging out on a comic book chat forum.

R.

I remember talking to a fellow collector in 1997 or so on the phone as I was selling him a book I had in the Comics Buyers Guide. He was from the state of Ohio. This was before Ebay took off. We were talking comics and who owned what books. He said he bought a near mint condition Fantastic Four #1 for $1,000.00 back around 1982 out of Comics Buyers Guide. He was absolutely laughed at, ridiculed by friends and relatives for being so foolish. "ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A COMIC BOOK" So in 1997 we spoke oh my, that could be worth say 8-10K now, what a deal. Who smells like a Rose now. Ok now its 2008, whats that book worth say its a CGC 9.4-9.6? 100K now or more? The Roses just keep coming. Will it ever end? What would the value be in 2018 on a Fantastic Four #1 in 9.4. A Million? It would not surprise me.

There has been a comic pricing bubble for decades. Every time record prices have been set there have been naysayers pointing fingers and screaming "the end is near!!".

When Action #1 was breaking records every year....$5000, $10,000 every body thought the buyer was insane.

When Dave Anderson bought the Mile High Action #1-20 (or whatever it was) for an unheard of amount (what was it $25,000?) he was almost laughed to scorn.

Really, nobody knows when. Nobody. What goes up ALWAYS comes down but when that happens is all a matter of fate. If the bubble bursts in our life time, fine. If not well then someone decades from now might be wondering the same thing. When.

If anybody knew when, they wouldn't be hanging out on a comic book chat forum.

R.

Hey Roy, :hi:

I agree no one really knows.

The facts are right now I dont see a bubble popping anytime soon.

FYI: When the bubble popped last time if you actually starting buying HG raw books during the late 1990's (what I call the Great Depression of comics) then I think you are laughing all the way to bank.

I remember thinking as a 13 year old back in 1993 that HULK 181 NM graded selling for $300-400 was alot of money, I wish I would have spend my life saving on comics back then if I knew what was going to happen in the near future.

The facts are GA, SA, BA for the most part have not really any decrease in value since comics became a collectable item.

I think 10-15 years if you bought any keys book or SA book I highly doubt you are down in the comic market.

My 2 cents.

Prices of non key bronze are too high.

The resubbing of slabs will artificial inflate the census to the pont its hard to tell what isn't rare in high grade.

I agree, they will and have already started to go down.

It just takes times for the everyone to see how non-rare they are excpet in uber HG (9.8).

I use the 10-15% rule for knocking off CGC census numbers.

If the book shows 20 9.8's I assume there is really only 16-17.

I remember talking to a fellow collector in 1997 or so on the phone as I was selling him a book I had in the Comics Buyers Guide. He was from the state of Ohio. This was before Ebay took off. We were talking comics and who owned what books. He said he bought a near mint condition Fantastic Four #1 for $1,000.00 back around 1982 out of Comics Buyers Guide. He was absolutely laughed at, ridiculed by friends and relatives for being so foolish. "ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A COMIC BOOK" So in 1997 we spoke oh my, that could be worth say 8-10K now, what a deal. Who smells like a Rose now. Ok now its 2008, whats that book worth say its a CGC 9.4-9.6? 100K now or more? The Roses just keep coming. Will it ever end? What would the value be in 2018 on a Fantastic Four #1 in 9.4. A Million? It would not surprise me.

its never that rosy. that 9.4 of 1988 is really a 8.0 with slight restoration anyways.