• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A List of Unrestored Action 1's and their Owners

104 posts in this topic

So if you owned a 2.5-3.5 Action 1 unrestored and it was a good candidate for restoration, would you do it?
not in today's climate...years ago, maybe, but today, it would likely be worth much less, as evidenced by 8.0 copies, restored (which would likely be a pre resto 2.5-3.5), selling in the $100,000 range... a nice 3.5 would sell for $150,000-200,000 depending

gator

So if you owned a 2.5-3.5 Action 1 unrestored and it was a good candidate for restoration, would you do it?

For the sake of the hobby NO. Going around restoring low grade Action 1 is a VERY bad idea.

unless the owner wants to restore it for aesthic reasons...

from a financial standpoint, bad move...but, I know pleny of collectors that rather have a nice looking book, than an ugly...however, at current asking prices, I would hope that financial reality weighs heavy (thumbs u

For the sake of the hobby NO. Going around restoring low grade Action 1 is a VERY bad idea.

Why, if I may ask?

I'd want to conserve the book, but conservation measures are considered "restoration" by the purple-label police anyway, so I'd probably just go all the way and get it fully restored.

If I want to own an Action 1 that I am going to flip in a few years, then sure, keep it unrestored -- who cares if that means it'll continue to eat away at itself, right?

It seems to me that the more future-friendly action (so to speak) would be to get it cleaned, deacidified, tears sealed, staples cleaned, et cetera. So that the book will last for another 100 years.

It sucks that the market will punish you for that, but if you're in it for the long haul, then it doesn't matter.

Why, if I may ask?

I'd want to conserve the book, but conservation measures are considered "restoration" by the purple-label police anyway, so I'd probably just go all the way and get it fully restored.

If I want to own an Action 1 that I am going to flip in a few years, then sure, keep it unrestored -- who cares if that means it'll continue to eat away at itself, right?

It seems to me that the more future-friendly action (so to speak) would be to get it cleaned, deacidified, tears sealed, staples cleaned, et cetera. So that the book will last for another 100 years.

It sucks that the market will punish you for that, but if you're in it for the long haul, then it doesn't matter.

very valid points, but not all 2.5 to 3.5 "need" conserving...some would last in their present state every bit as long as a restored copy... that said, I too am not opposed to conservation/restoration, when it makes sense (thumbs u

Why, if I may ask?

all valid points. Problem is that the mindset of the hobby still values originality and virgin status of vintage comics. Someday that may change. But for the forseeable future, It wont. So by swimming against the tide of popular collecting opinion, you trade longetivity for lack of marketability SHOULD you ever want to sell it.

If you store it carefully and securely, you wont see all that much further deterioration leaving it as is. This is my approach anyway.

Snyder worked on the Action 1 just like he worked on many of the other key Mile Highs.

We know Flash 1 and All American 16 weren't worked on. We know Supe 1, All Star 3, Cap 1 and others are known to be worked on.

We also know that the Green Lantern 1 was worked on.

That book was sold without disclosure, too - who was that again?

Ok, draw straws and let someone here just go ahead and call Snyder now at (888) 355-9800 and ask him straight up for a list of the Church keys he touched up.

We can settle this once and for all.

Snyder worked on the Action 1 just like he worked on many of the other key Mile Highs.

We know Flash 1 and All American 16 weren't worked on. We know Supe 1, All Star 3, Cap 1 and others are known to be worked on.

Ok, draw straws and let someone here just go ahead and call Snyder now at (888) 355-9800 and ask him straight up for a list of the Church keys he touched up.

I motion Crowzilla....do I hear a second (shrug)

I motion Crowzilla....do I hear a second (shrug)

I second that motion. :popcorn:

Why, if I may ask?

Now Restoration doesnt sound too bad at all anymore. If the result of it means the book lasting another 100 years or so...