• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A HG Action 1 or a Bugatti Veyron?

364 posts in this topic

I think Jeremy Clarkson, during one of the episodes where he was driving a Lamborghini (can`t remember which model) around, summed up in one sentence why some people are so attracted to supercars: "I... have... a... very... small... pe-e-e-enis!" lol:baiting:

While these are interesting items to read about or learn in terms of their historical importance, I would much rather spend the money towards a more worthy cause (I'm thinking medical research). In my opinion, the real measure of wealth for people with that kind of spending power should not be on how many material possessions they are able to accumulate or showcase, but how generous they are with that wealth.

Oddly, I was at a car auction yesterday with my Father just to pass the afternoon and one seller kept saying that he couldn't really drive the car for fear of stone chips or being stolen. So the recreational purpose was very limited, and my idea of having fun owning something means not having to look over my shoulders every minute to make sure someone doesn't key the car or try to steal it, or drive it slowly on low-traffic roads to avoid stone chips. This was a 1967 Camaro (while cool, pales in value comparison to some of the cars mentioned) so I can imagine anyone owning a quarter of a million dollar car and up wouldn't be doing anything more than storing it and locking away the keys - in my mind, no matter how much money you will make down the road selling the car, it leaves just as empty a feeling as having to lock away an Action 1 in a safety deposit box.

If its bragging rights your after, you can probably count on one hand how many people would geniunely care to listen to you bragging about what you own, but telling someone you made a difference in a child's life who was in need will not only make you feel better as a person about how you have put your wealth to use, but will spread goodwill in a contagious and life changing way for those around you, because you didn't wait for others to step-up and be kind, you showed them how.

While these are interesting items to read about or learn in terms of their historical importance, I would much rather spend the money towards a more worthy cause (I'm thinking medical research). In my opinion, the real measure of wealth for people with that kind of spending power should not be on how many material possessions they are able to accumulate or showcase, but how generous they are with that wealth.

Oddly, I was at a car auction yesterday with my Father just to pass the afternoon and one seller kept saying that he couldn't really drive the car for fear of stone chips or being stolen. So the recreational purpose was very limited, and my idea of having fun owning something means not having to look over my shoulders every minute to make sure someone doesn't key the car or try to steal it, or drive it slowly on low-traffic roads to avoid stone chips. This was a 1967 Camaro (while cool, pales in value comparison to some of the cars mentioned) so I can imagine anyone owning a quarter of a million dollar car and up wouldn't be doing anything more than storing it and locking away the keys - in my mind, no matter how much money you will make down the road selling the car, it is leaves just as empty a feeling as having to lock away an Action 1 in a safety deposit box.

If its bragging rights your after, you can probably count on one hand how many people would geniunely care to listen to you bragging about what you own, but telling someone you made a difference in a child's life who was in need will not only make you feel better as a person about how you have put your wealth to use, but will spread goodwill in a contagious and life changing way for those around you, because you didn't wait for others to step-up and be kind, you showed them how.

to me, it's all about percentages-

If I had over 200 million dollars in wealth, then I could justify buying a 1million dollar car (as a small part of my overall financial wealth).

If I had 2 million dollars, I'd feel the same was as you.

Bill and Melinda Gates own some amazing toys, including the original Leonardo DaVinci idea book, and have been the largest philanthropers on the planet.

You can buy a nice piece of land and a house in Italy, Ireland or any other beautiful location for that kind of money. Forget the comic book or the car. Im buying my retirement home.
very true, but the question was posed "just for fun"... so, why not enjoy the fantasy (like a lovely Irish gal and a pint!) lol

Oddly, I was at a car auction yesterday with my Father just to pass the afternoon and one seller kept saying that he couldn't really drive the car for fear of stone chips or being stolen. So the recreational purpose was very limited, and my idea of having fun owning something means not having to look over my shoulders every minute to make sure someone doesn't key the car or try to steal it, or drive it slowly on low-traffic roads to avoid stone chips. This was a 1967 Camaro (while cool, pales in value comparison to some of the cars mentioned) so I can imagine anyone owning a quarter of a million dollar car and up wouldn't be doing anything more than storing it and locking away the keys - in my mind, no matter how much money you will make down the road selling the car, it leaves just as empty a feeling as having to lock away an Action 1 in a safety deposit box.

The question to me is where would you start? This is a terrific idea but I'm of the belief that most medical research for chronic disease is pointed in the wrong direction. If someone were truly serious about prevention (which is where all research should start) you'd probably have a large fight on your hands by drug companies who make billion$ from symptom control. The truth is that most of these companies are likely not interested in cures even if most of the employees are.

I think most people would like to make a "dent" and make the world a slightly better place but I'd also direct my energies where they would be lost like a drop in the bucket.

This of course is just a fantasy question.

I'd still take the comic. I'd feel like more of a man with it.

lol

You can buy a nice piece of land and a house in Italy, Ireland or any other beautiful location for that kind of money. Forget the comic book or the car. Im buying my retirement home.
very true, but the question was posed "just for fun"... so, why not enjoy the fantasy (like a lovely Irish gal and a pint!) lol

Ok, in the spirit of the questions posed....If I had to make the choice.......Action 1.

The resale will only go up and I think it would outpace the Bugatti. And frankly I would be too terrified to drive that car to its full potential. It would be a shame to be owned by someone like me. It would also fall apart inside of a year on these crappy Oklahoma roads.

Ok, in the spirit of the questions posed....If I had to make the choice.......Action 1.

The resale will only go up and I think it would outpace the Bugatti. And frankly I would be too terrified to drive that car to its full potential. It would be a shame to be owned by someone like me.

That thought crossed my mind too. In my younger "more invincible" days I did crazy stuff like take on ramps at 3 times the limit on my GSX-R 750 and driving at top speed between London and Toronto in Porsches. I look at the world a little differently now that I have kids.

Did anyone see the photos of that guy who crashed his Ferrari F40 at high speed? There was nothing left of him or the car. Do yourself a favor. DO NOT try to find those pics. You'll never be able to remove the images from your head.

Stuff goes KABLOOEY very quick at speeds over 150 MPH.

R.

Neither one - both are tailor-made for insecure males.

Very interesting POV

Trust me, the market for expensive sportscars is NOT 18 year old kids. lol

Two guys are work, totally normal, family fun-loving guys started losing their hair - within a month, both have shaved their heads and bought very expensive convertibles. :tonofbricks:

The resale will only go up and I think it would outpace the Bugatti. And frankly I would be too terrified to drive that car to its full potential. It would be a shame to be owned by someone like me. It would also fall apart inside of a year on these crappy Oklahoma roads.

I am with you (thumbs u

Got your point but what about those other non 18 year olds with a full set of hair, great wifes, happen to be great fathers?

Stop talking about Rick, he likes Ferraris!

:makepoint:

Got your point but what about those other non 18 year olds with a full set of hair, great wifes, happen to be great fathers?
as someone that has owned 3 different Ferrari's over the last 10+ years (first when I was still in my late 20's, and as "good" as I would ever be physically looking lol ), a father of 4, and my wife would sometimes say "great" husband (again lol ), I found his statement to be potentially applicable to some, but not to all :banana: