• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happened to Nerfs threads last night?

186 posts in this topic

What a thread. :o I missed all the excitement last night. meh But CC has been acting like a *spoon* all week. Perhaps he needs a vacation from the boards...

Permanent vacation (thumbs u

Yeah, he's just one big bad attitude. I tried to help him out after we got into it over a year ago in the selling forum when he dissed my selling thread. He later pm'd me an apology and I gave him some advice. I guess it didn't really sink in. He doesn't seem to think much before typing.

R.

^^

about Hitler? I agree with CGC that if they dont want his image here then thats fine with me.

But Im more interested in the phenomena of "Hitler's" place in our culture. I dont think using his picture is so much a comment about Hitler or jews, but rather used to represent the very image of "generic evil" and genocide of ones hated enemies (or perceived inferiors). And, being the most "famous and recent" totalitarian dictator whose damage still lives within living people's memories, it is HIS image that comes first to mind when comparing people to Hitlers actions. "Hitler" is our modern day political bogeyman! Especially here on the intertubes.

Three generations later, Im no longer upset by Hitler. (The prospect of the NEXT guy, yeah). Just another megamaniacally murderous monster. I see his image now a one merely of "hubris" and "failure" and humor (like Mel Brooks does).

But I understand that not everyone is over him. SO lets not use his image anymore. How about a substitute? Idi Amin? Satan? I know, the problem is even if we all agree on an icon to use for "him" newbies will still trot out his face when cornered.

but maybe a graemlin? How bout a funny little sieg-heiling Adolf-mustascioed graemlin we can use safely to convey "Hey buddy! You're a fascist a$s-hoole!)?

but maybe a graemlin? How bout a funny little sieg-heiling Adolf-mustascioed graemlin we can use safely to convey "Hey buddy! You're a fascist a$s-hoole!)?

uhhhh....no.

doh!

about Hitler? I agree with CGC that if they dont want his image here then thats fine with me.

But Im more interested in the phenomena of "Hitler's" place in our culture. I dont think using his picture is so much a comment about Hitler or jews, but rather used to represent the very image of "generic evil" and genocide of ones hated enemies (or perceived inferiors). And, being the most "famous and recent" totalitarian dictator whose damage still lives within living people's memories, it is HIS image that comes first to mind when comparing people to Hitlers actions. "Hitler" is our modern day political bogeyman! Especially here on the intertubes.

Three generations later, Im no longer upset by Hitler. (The prospect of the NEXT guy, yeah). Just another megamaniacally murderous monster. I see his image now a one merely of "hubris" and "failure" and humor (like Mel Brooks does).

But I understand that not everyone is over him. SO lets not use his image anymore. How about a substitute? Idi Amin? Satan? I know, the problem is even if we all agree on an icon to use for "him" newbies will still trot out his face when cornered.

Hitler.gif

Hitler.gif

lol Now do a graemlin holding a moonshine bottle with overalls and a corn cob pipe.

Hitler.gif

lol Now do a graemlin holding a moonshine bottle with overalls and a corn cob pipe.

harmon_sean.jpg

If we are talking Hitler what about Osama Bin Laden as the substitute?

If we are talking Hitler what about Osama Bin Laden as the substitute?

Substitute for what? (shrug)

anyway, what Im saying is that people trot out his picture only to attack someone online. To say how horrible that person and/or their opinions are. So why not an acceptible image that gets the point across, while maintaining the proper level of umbrage.

Hitler.gif

harmon_sean.jpg

Your. Best. Post. Ever.