• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happened to Nerfs threads last night?

186 posts in this topic

it saddens me that in the 21st century, there are still racists, bigots and homophobics, that want to treat people like 2nd class citizens. :(:sorry:

Coming from the man that carries a user name that implies the exploitation of women :baiting:

I believe this train wreak is summed up in your statement. :foryou:

-----------------

i don't know if your comment was in jest, but your avatar is a hypocritical statement unlike my userid, which is just a userid and meant to be taken figuratively and not literally. :screwy: too bad you don't live in Austin, TX. i've visited Austin and it amazes me how much different the capital is compared to the rest of the conservative state and you're 20th century ways. you do realize that the superhero comic book genre was started by jewish americans? doh!:o again, if you're post was in jest, i sincerely apologize, but discrimination in any form, sucks.

Well, I figured the stick poke would make it clear that commet was in jest.

I figured that the fact i agreed with your statement and presented "flowers" would further indicate such. But I guess u missed all that. I'm glad u had a visit to our Capital you should try living there. As for my avatar it simply shows i appreciate nice looking women. It means no more or less than your userID. Y u mentioned jewish americans and starting the funny books...i dunno? And yea, discrimination, suxs it.

man some of you people have so seriously poor taste

Ill second that

And it isn't in poor taste to collect comics based solely on their Nazi imagery? Or comics that portray the Japanese as hideous yellow trolls? I can think of a number of non-comic collectors who wouldn't allow those "jap covers" past the front door of their house, and those same people would think it was sick that those same covers actually command a premium in this hobby. Others might think the same of bondage covers, etc...

Your argument is a fallacy. You arent defending anything. What you just posted still gives you no right to post Nazi pictures. Like many others, my family was devastated by WWII, so I find it in very poor taste to post pictures of Nazis. It is one thing to post pictures of ARTWORK in a comic, another thing posting the real thing for no effin reason

Listen man, I'm merely making the point that what some may find offensive, others may just see as "ARTWORK in a comic". Same goes for humor; what one person may find funny, another may find offensive. What's the difference? Try taking a broader perspective on this and realize that something that may be perfectly acceptable and harmless to you, may be considered horrible to someone else. That doesn't make you bad, it's just a difference of perspective. Therefore, I don't appreciate someone trying to characterize me based on a single post that was meant to be ridiculous and silly.

That being said, I took down the pics and I apologize if some of you were offended. Now I'd appreciate it if we could drop this nonsense.

Hey Captain,

I'm all for some light hearted fun, but when you have someone of Jewish decent making a comment in a very fair and reasoned way, for you to simply respond with snark and continue to post at will, it's time to step away from the keyboard.

Come on, bro. Show some class.

To be fair, I posted one pic of Hitler, and it was accompanied by a pick of the two guys from "Saved by the Bell" with their shirts open. You make it sound like I posted one pic after another to purposely antagonize people, and that wasn't my intention. The entire post was meant to be silly. I'm sorry if it was taken another way, and the post is gone.

Then you are probably much to young to have friends who lost their parents/ grandparents during the holocaust, but you'd have to equate posting these pictures, to posting pictures of Bin Laden and then posting that it was a Joke... Hitler caused millions to lose their lives, and I really find it odd, to find a few people unaware of the horror. Even if you never knew anyone touched by these events, I'm sure many of your relatives, grandparents fought bravely against this evil, so it's really disrespectful on many levels.

Good lord. doh!

This is a misunderstanding, nothing more. What I saw was a joke, others obviously interpreted it differently, despite my intentions. It's kind of like how I find your post to be extremely patronizing, despite what I'm sure were good intentions on your part.

No topic with Hitler references is complete without a picture of a Hitler Cat.

Are you really that uptight about Hitler or just kidding, because I can't tell. (shrug)

The cat does not offend me, but yes, I have not been kidding..

Well I'm happy that it does not offend you.

My point is that "laughing at Hitler" should be OK and encouraged because his picture is worshipped by some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons to this day for his actions and when it becomes an object of laughter and one to lampoon it degrades him as a symbol of a movement.

Context of the image is what is important. Nothing in terms of images of history or of a historical nature of the Nazi era should be destroyed including old comics with these historical picture stories although I can see some people having issue with them because their content is contrary to their enjoyment of the comic hobby.

I can understand that position but I don't believe Jewish people obtained the copyright to the whole NAZI subject, both discussion and images because of devastating persecution of members of their previous generations either so I alway buck that yoke.

I don't even judge people as harshly as others when they express the beliefs that their soul cage has been programmed to regurgitate because to do so also is to be bigoted , racist towards their belief system and their free speech rights and letting ideas mingle freely always produces some who migrate toward the middle ground between the extremes and that is why discussions are good and should not be so subject to censorship. Self censorship is the only good censorship.

since we're talking Hitler.

I went and saw Saw V the other night with a bud, and we were walking by the Valkyere movie poster, the movie in which Tom Cruise plays a Nazi, and I said:

"Hey, I've got a great idea for how Tom Cruise can rehab his image. One word- Nazi."

Cruise is not playing a Nazi but von Stauffenberg, a German military officer who was a principled Christian that came to the conclusion that it was his responsibility to assassinate Hitler. He nearly succeeded and his story is worth knowing, regardless of whether Cruise or the film are any good.

you've completely ruined an already strained joke.

since you're going serious, is this the same plot that involved the Lutheran minister Dietrich Bonnehoffer? I have the greatest admiration and affection for Bonnehoffer.

Yes. If the Cruise movie isn't any good there is an excellent documentary on Stauffenberg that was just released on DVD. Bonhoeffer's story is available in both movie and documentary format.

For some reason I don't get offended of a pic of Hitler.

It's just a german dude who was pretty messed up, but still is famous. (Somehow)

Oh My God. doh!:tonofbricks:

(shrug)

I've never once really read about him. But I do know why he is hated.

I'll shut up now...

S'all right. It's kind of important to know a wee bit about this chap as he's always getting mentioned on internet message boards, usually entirely out of context or logic

Jeez, stop being such a Hitler about the whole context or logic thing.

:baiting:

For some reason I don't get offended of a pic of Hitler.

It's just a german dude who was pretty messed up, but still is famous. (Somehow)

Oh My God. doh!:tonofbricks:

(shrug)

I've never once really read about him. But I do know why he is hated.

I'll shut up now...

S'all right. It's kind of important to know a wee bit about this chap as he's always getting mentioned on internet message boards, usually entirely out of context or logic

Jeez, stop being such a Hitler about the whole context or logic thing.

:baiting:

That remark was strawman-like and totally illogical. :sumo:

Hey Scott!!! Looking forward to Wonder Con and catching up with your good self, your missus and the SF crew!! :hi:

Some of the complaining here is not rational.

So let me get this straight. Every time I see an image of Hitler on the History Channel I'm to kick in the screen, and write angry letters to the advertisers???

I think in some peoples rush to complain about Joe_Collector's post they are not phrasing their complaint properly. It should say something like

1) "His usage of HItler's photo was uncalled for and improper"

But to demand that someone's photo NEVER ever be displayed is well.... off the wall lunacy.

How in the sam-hill am I supposed to explain to my son who Adolph Hitler was and why his ideology was horrible and evil, if I can't even show him a photo without running the risk of the intolerant knee-jerk reactionary crowd.

Feel free to complain about stuff. I may even join in, but people need to use some reasoning. This post is directed at anyone in a mad rush to censor.

JC deleted the picture. But that is really nothing in comparison to the text that was made by some parties.

I didn't see the pic the first time, but nerf posted a screen shot of the original hitler pic

subtitle cgc forumite of the year 1939-45

:eek:

Nerf archived the pic in the "Gemlins to be saved" thread in the "testing 1, 2, 3" forum.

So let me get this straight. Every time I see an image of Hitler on the History Channel I'm to kick in the screen, and write angry letters to the advertisers???

I think in some peoples rush to complain about Joe_Collector's post they are not phrasing their complaint properly. It should say something like

But to demand that someone's photo NEVER ever be displayed is well.... off the wall lunacy.

How in the sam-hill am I supposed to explain to my son who Adolph Hitler was and why his ideology was horrible and evil, if I can't even show him a photo without running the risk of the intolerant knee-jerk reactionary crowd.

Feel free to complain about stuff. I may even join in, but people need to use some reasoning. This post is directed at anyone in a mad rush to censor.

It's the context of the photo being used. No problem if it's to accompany a historical perspective...but it's use on this Board has been, historically, to denigrate others or imply their actions are similar. Huge difference...and the reason even mentioning Nazis has been a hot button topic for the Mods. Anyone who frequented the WC a couple years ago understands. It ALWAYS reverts to what this thread has become...

Jim

it saddens me that in the 21st century, there are still racists, bigots and homophobics, that want to treat people like 2nd class citizens. :(:sorry:

Coming from the man that carries a user name that implies the exploitation of women :baiting:

I believe this train wreak is summed up in your statement. :foryou:

-----------------

i don't know if your comment was in jest, but your avatar is a hypocritical statement unlike my userid, which is just a userid and meant to be taken figuratively and not literally. :screwy: too bad you don't live in Austin, TX. i've visited Austin and it amazes me how much different the capital is compared to the rest of the conservative state and you're 20th century ways. you do realize that the superhero comic book genre was started by jewish americans? doh!:o again, if you're post was in jest, i sincerely apologize, but discrimination in any form, sucks.

Supapimp I love you! :applause:

man some of you people have so seriously poor taste

Ill second that

And it isn't in poor taste to collect comics based solely on their Nazi imagery? Or comics that portray the Japanese as hideous yellow trolls? I can think of a number of non-comic collectors who wouldn't allow those "jap covers" past the front door of their house, and those same people would think it was sick that those same covers actually command a premium in this hobby. Others might think the same of bondage covers, etc...

or those Will Eisner Spirit comics with Ebony White.

Good points.

You`re suppose to learn from past histories to go forward not try and hide from it. It`s thier and it`s ugly but future generations should know about it,so it doesn`t happen again.

Hey Captain,

I'm all for some light hearted fun, but when you have someone of Jewish decent making a comment in a very fair and reasoned way, for you to simply respond with snark and continue to post at will, it's time to step away from the keyboard.

Come on, bro. Show some class.

To be fair, I posted one pic of Hitler, and it was accompanied by a pick of the two guys from "Saved by the Bell" with their shirts open. You make it sound like I posted one pic after another to purposely antagonize people, and that wasn't my intention. The entire post was meant to be silly. I'm sorry if it was taken another way, and the post is gone.

It wasn't the pic, bro. It was your attempt at trying to take a moral high ground against a descendant of the Holocaust. But I am more than willing to drop it. This is not an attempt at me to try to continue to troll you. This was just me trying to explain what I was saying at the time.

I think we should all stop typing now...and move to threads that are comic oriented.

I mean really...I think there are many boards that would fit this type of discussion and I'm sure they can be found via Google.

I love the CGC boards and don't want to jeopardize their longevity and our ability to use them by posting this type of material.

And this is just a general post, not directed at anyone in particular, but it is damned near impossible for Gentiles to truly understand the suffering of the Jewish people, especially concerning World War II.

For example, I have a Jewish friend who would never think of owning a VW Bug, (duh), but in addition, would also never deign to own products from some major companies that I would never think twice about owning, from major American manufacturers. (for their role in the war)

All I'm saying is, Mel Brooks can laugh at Hitler (and good for him), but many Jews cannot. And may never be able to. And I respect that a great deal.

powering down pious mode.