• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

Reading a comic is manipulation... stacking a comic is manipulation... moving a comic from an OO collection to yours and rebagging from polyethylene to mylar is manipulation... and who the hell would use water to press a book? Not that I know anything about the procedures used, but I read Matt's page about it, and I don;t remember anything about soaking the book...

I truly don't get the fervor raised over pressing... it seems like a very healthy thing to do for a book, not akin to any other restoration... Could one of you anti-pressers please tell me which part of professional pressing it is that causes you to consider it harmful to a book? I never even heard of pressing (in over 30 years of collecting) until I started to read these endless threads, and nowhere have I seen any kind of logical argument come out of the "anti-" camp???

Just curious,

Cimm

Not gonna bother reading through all these again, lol, but thought I would have one little say!

Yes pressing is manipulation! How else does a worn GD/VG or VG comic become a solid FN overnight?

A individual, not the company or manafacturer has used his skills to upgrade the appearance of a comic.

I wonder when the comics get soaked in water, what effect (if any, maybe long term) does this have on the staples as I'm sure this is not good for them.

Also when a comic is pressed, does this not make it harder to detect if a comic has had it's staples replaced? As the press would make the staples allignment look natural on the inside pages? Just wondered!

herc

thanks herc! way to keep it going. Anyone going to respond to this pressing argument?

I'll respond. Vaughn is a dorkasaurus rex.

I truly don't get the fervor raised over pressing... it seems like a very healthy thing to do for a book, not akin to any other restoration... Could one of you anti-pressers please tell me which part of professional pressing it is that causes you to consider it harmful to a book? I never even heard of pressing (in over 30 years of collecting) until I started to read these endless threads, and nowhere have I seen any kind of logical argument come out of the "anti-" camp???

Just curious,

Cimm

if you're pressing a mid grade GA book to up it's appearance for your own personal collection, i'm fine with that.

if you're pressing an amazingly HG book from a 9.4 to a possible 9.6 or 9.8 to squeeze even more cash out of it. to me that is just plain greedy.

as far a damage to the book, that remains to be seen. but to me it's too much of a risk for twenty, thirty, forty, fifty year old news print.

Reading a comic is manipulation... stacking a comic is manipulation... moving a comic from an OO collection to yours and rebagging from polyethylene to mylar is manipulation...

No, none of these things are manipulation in any way shape or form whatsoever. They may accidentally alter the condition of the comic but in no way do they deliberately improve or enhance it. Which is what "manipulation" is.

Can't believe I bothered to explain that. :insane:

Reading a comic is manipulation... stacking a comic is manipulation... moving a comic from an OO collection to yours and rebagging from polyethylene to mylar is manipulation...

No, none of these things are manipulation in any way shape or form whatsoever. They may accidentally alter the condition of the comic but in no way do they deliberately improve or enhance it. Which is what "manipulation" is.

I can't either. Especially since you are wrong. :gossip:

Enlighten me, Doc.

Edit: on second thought, no worries. It's manipulation without intent, I get it.

Enlighten me, Doc.

Edit: on second thought, no worries. It's manipulation without intent, I get it.

Actually, I was just funnin' with you Andy, but your own answer is excellent. Thanks. :baiting:

Enlighten me, Doc.

Actually, I was just funnin' with you Andy, but your own answer is excellent. Thanks. :baiting:

I fell into his trap. Again!!!! :cry:

Just curious,

Cimm

if you're pressing a mid grade GA book to up it's appearance for your own personal collection, i'm fine with that.

if you're pressing an amazingly HG book from a 9.4 to a possible 9.6 or 9.8 to squeeze even more cash out of it. to me that is just plain greedy.

as far a damage to the book, that remains to be seen. but to me it's too much of a risk for twenty, thirty, forty, fifty year old news print.

Pressing HG books is fun... :luhv:

Just curious,

Cimm

And profitable. :whatev:

Just curious,

Cimm

hm

Just curious,

Cimm

hm

No hm about it, entrepreneur. :baiting:

Just curious,

Cimm

hm

No hm about it, entrepreneur. :baiting:

:acclaim: