• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,903 posts in this topic

Spandex-free zone.

There's nothing I like more than finding a new store, with HG books priced to move. All of the below from $1.50-$4.00 a piece (most around $2 each). Unfortunately, I had my kids with me (4 and 6 years old), so I couldn't really spend more than 15 minutes scrounging through the boxes. Needless to say, I'll be going back.

The Dennis' are sweet, and I've always had a hard time finding nice HG ones from the late '70's.

IMG_0010-6.jpg

IMG_0009-7.jpg

IMG_0008-9.jpg

This is only a F+, but has brilliant colors and is favorite BA cover of mine. I couldn't help myself.

IMG_0006-10.jpg

I've almost never seen the Charlton car books in HG. I'd say it's a 9.0

IMG_0007-9.jpg

And some Charlton Romance. Found 2 copies each of the I Love You'sL:

IMG_0002-14.jpg

So bad, you've got to like it..

IMG_0001-15.jpg

And two sweet copies, the second of which I've never seen anywhere near HG:

IMG_0003-15.jpg

IMG_0004-12.jpg

Beautiful books!

OK, more books no one cares about...

OR

My second trip to the "new" store with the bargain HG back issues. I made the trip, sans kids, and bought over 100 VERY nice HG books for less about 1.70 each. I went through the underappreciated stuff first, since I was clearly going to get more bang for the buck (time-wise, that is). The Marvel and DC boxes had a lot more mid and low--grade stuff to wade through and tons more un-boarded books damaged by customers, and although there were clearly gems in there, it will have to wait for another trip.

Here we go:

9.6ish

IMG_0001-17.jpg

Super nice, with just the bindery tear:

IMG-23.jpg

Some Charlton fun:

IMG_0015-2.jpg

IMG_0009-9.jpg

IMG_0010-8.jpg

And a Dennis:

IMG_0006-12.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

The more I collect late-1970's Harvey's, the more I'm convinced that DIRECT DISTRIBUTION KILLED HARVEY COMICS.

All through 1977-1980, Harvey was busy pumping out new titles. The market clearly supported these books, and Richie Rich alone spun-off every imaginable combination of leading characters (see below). Three or four years later, they were struggling to stay in business. I really believe that once Marvel and DC moved to largely direct distribution, even fewer outlets could justify carrying comics, depriving Harvey of their only way of reaching kids.

Laugh if you want to, but this is the book I'm most psyched about in this batch. I have never seen a remotely HG copy of this book. I actually read some of it, and can see the appeal of the character in his early appearances.

IMG_0005-14.jpg

Here's a couple of spin-off issues I mentioned:

IMG_0009-8.jpg

IMG_0010-7.jpg

IMG_0011-5.jpg

IMG_0014-2.jpg

IMG_0008-11.jpg

Even as late as 1980, Harvey was even creating new Casper titles:

IMG_0011-6.jpg

IMG_0003-17.jpg

And a sweet SA book thrown in for fun:

IMG_0002-16.jpg

And a few Devil Kids:

IMG_0012-2.jpg

I've looked for a super HG inexpensive copy of this book for a looong time. Now I have 5:

IMG_0013-2.jpg

And, of course, a nice stash of Archies. I've only shown about 30 of the 100 books I picked up, and only made it 1/2 way through the Archies. Most of the HG ones are late '70's, but even then I've never seen HG copies of many of them. When it comes to Archies, there are definitely some issues that are much scarcer in grade--not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with multi-pacs.

A nice 20 center to start the lot:

IMG_0004-14.jpg

This is one I have only seen beat up copies of in the past:

IMG_0007-12.jpg

IMG_0007-11.jpg

IMG_0006-13.jpg

IMG_0001-18.jpg

IMG_0008-12.jpg

One of the nicest copies of this milestone issue I've found-I've always loved this cover, but like a lot of collectors took Archies from this time period for granted. They are surprisingly tough to find, especially in grade. There are months where MH and Lone Star don't have certain Archie books from 1980-1983 in stock in any grade:

IMG-24.jpg

IMG_0003-18.jpg

IMG_0004-15.jpgIMG_0005-15.jpg

And another touch of silver. Oh for the days when assault and battery could be the punchline of a funny-book cover.

IMG_0002-17.jpg

The more I collect late-1970's Harvey's, the more I'm convinced that DIRECT DISTRIBUTION KILLED HARVEY COMICS.

IMG_0010-7.jpg

Nice books, Paul. I really liked Richie Rich books and would always buy them over Archie books. Now that I am older, I look at Gloria on this cover compared to Betty and Veronica on all the Archie covers, and I wonder what the $#@% was I thinking. :roflmao: