• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,903 posts in this topic

Great looking MP 15 there. I want to upgrade my 9.0... I just picked up a raw SSOC 14 supposedly in the 9.6 range, but I can't confirm that until I see it. I've been working on raw SSOC's for awhile now and this one has been tough to find. Hopefully patience will have paid off because I've been looking for a HG 14 for probably 4 months

Also picked up an MTU i needed for my 1-60 run.

My goal this year was to get Colan,Steranko and Adams sigs.

The Colan book is with CGC getting graded.

MTU4.jpg

My under copy of batman 232 now sporting an Adams sig.

Batman232.jpg

I know it`s not bronze age but heres my Steranko sig.

Shield3.jpg

This thread has sort of been ignored for a little while but I thought I'd still post this one...Received it yesterday in the mail..

MP15.jpg

Great book and cover.

You know I picked up the Marvel Premier issues of Iron Fist just for reading purposes a couple of years ago. I can only say this....ugh. Bad, bad story. Real cheesy and full of second-person narrative..."You are Iron Fist...You are a bad azz Kung-Fu fighter...You have a really cool tattoo on your chest..."

OK, you're all doomed. I've just scanned in almost 100 books from Chicago. I'll start posting them tomorrow. I'm intentionally going to leave out the DC's and Marvels we see all the time (actually, a bunch of them were damaged on the return trip), and you'll see why so many of us love this show. Just a tremendous selection of books to be found at bargain prices.

Anyway, I'm going to start with this gem. Al Stoltz had this, and unless you collect either March of Comics or Kroft related books, you'll have no idea how incredibly tough this book is in any condition. It is just not out there. And when it is available, it is snapped up at premium prices. Another collector saw me holding it and was hoping I would put it down. No chance. One of the toughest BA books, period.

IMG_0080.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

OK, you're all doomed. I've just scanned in almost 100 books from Chicago. I'll start posting them tomorrow. I'm intentionally going to leave out the DC's and Marvels we see all the time (actually, a bunch of them were damaged on the return trip), and you'll see why so many of us love this show. Just a tremendous selection of books to be found at bargain prices.

Anyway, I'm going to start with this gem. Al Stoltz had this, and unless you collect either March of Comics or Kroft related books, you'll have no idea how incredibly tough this book is in any condition. It is just not out there. And when it is available, it is snapped up at premium prices. Another collector saw me holding it and was hoping I would put it down. No chance. One of the toughest BA books, period.

IMG_0080.jpg

what's the story behind the shoe advertisements? I have seen many books with attached lower labels over the years. Even a Peanuts #1 from the 50's.

Is there a large number of "shoe" books?

[

what's the story behind the shoe advertisements? I have seen many books with attached lower labels over the years. Even a Peanuts #1 from the 50's.

Is there a large number of "shoe" books?

March of Comics were giveaways made for retail outlets. Most had original stories, at least until the late 1970's or so. One of the main types of retail outlets were shoe stores, although other types of retailers carried them as well.

My take on the shoe angle is this--shoe stores would do anything to make shoe shopping more enticing for kids and less miserable for parents. I don't know how it was in your house as a kid, but in mine, we hated shoe shopping. Let's face it, after you slid down the stool with the foot pedestal, it was all downhill. Shoes were an expensive item, even in the 1970's, compared to now, and I remember my parents taking all of us at once to try on shoes. Most of my friend's parents did the same. So, how much money do you think parents are going to spend while their brats misbehave and complain? Not much. Stick a book in their hands, and they might stay longer, resulting in a few more sales. Also, if the parents knew their kinds didn't mind going to a certain shoe store because they got free books, a store owner might have an advantage.

Alright, let's get started.

Remember, most of these books were nowhere near the price tag, and most far and away were in the $2-5 range. The occasional one broke $10, and none were over $15. I'm saying this not to brag, but to show the types of nice, HG BA deals are to be had at the Chicago show.

I generally am trying for nice HG copies, but I've learned that on some of these books, especially the Charltons, no such thing may exist. So, I've become comfortable living with VF's on books I feel I may not see a better copy of in 5-10 years.

Also, unfortunately, some of these left Chicago in better shape than they arrived. For example, I had a run of Marvel Tales from 1976 that easily ranged from 9.4-9.8. They're now mostly 9.2. This makes me sad.

Finally, my apologies for the bags and stickers. I'm out of mylites, and don't have the time to deal right now, especially after being on the road 2 out of 3 weeks.

Let's start off with the few Marvels I found.

I've got 143ksk to thank for this gem. Somehow I missed it. He pulled it out and sarcastically commented, "I think this is Bronze, isn't it." I thanks him profusely. Sadly, this book suffered a spine stress on the trip home. I'm still pretty excited about it. Gorgeous.

IMG_0051.jpg

And some sweet Millies.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

And some Marvel horror.

IMG_0039.jpg

Some DC horror. These actually were sticker price, and came from a collection that on the surface, looked gorgeous--nice corner and edges, glossy colors, etc. Most of the books had been baked in an attic, though. I managed to pull out four that just had tremendous eye appeal and showed little signs of tanning.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0009-10.jpg

Some DC War, Western, and Romance

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

And this freakin' book. I have never come across a copy I wanted to add to my collection. This weekend, I found 3 that were nice enough to tempt me. I finally picked this one up on Sunday.

IMG_0072.jpg

And one Bat-book:

IMG_0008-13.jpg

Some nice Strange Adventures. I picked poorly on the first one--the dealer had about 8 copies, and I missed some flaws on this one. The second one is killer.

IMG_0006-14.jpg

IMG_0007-13.jpg

And some sweet dollar size Unexpected's:

IMG_0012-4.jpg

IMG_0013-3.jpg