• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,914 posts in this topic

OK, here's the rest of my Chicago stash. What I found there was really pretty amazing--usually you see a couple of HG Charlton's at a show. At Chicago, I found tons. Horror, Romance, Cartoon. And the publisher does get a raw deal. There's some real quality stuff in with the rubbish. And, even the rubbish is so bad, it's worth collecting.

First off, the horror. Chock-full-o-Ditko. Really tremendous copies, and the prices were outstanding, especially for the early 70's stuff, with some as little as $2. And from multiple dealers.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0004-16.jpg

IMG_0005-16.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0003-19.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0001-20.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

Here's where things get a little scary. Some Charlton romance is just truly horrible and was hopelessly out of date by the early 1970's, and some of it I just love the cover art for. Here's the good with the bad, all of it priced right and some of the nices copies I've ever seen.

IMG_0016-2.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077-1.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0022-1.jpg

IMG_0023-2.jpg

IMG_0024-2.jpg

IMG_0025-1.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

The thing about Charlton horror is that at least some serious collectors saw the appeal and quality, especially Ditko fans. Many actually took care of their Charlton horror books, even though they're still challenging to find in grade.

Their animated and comic strip titles are another story. Virtually no one collected them and they were considered drek. The irony is that this was perhaps Charlton's best and most consistent output in the 1970's, with George Wildman and Ray Dirgo cranking out some truly entertaining work during this time. If I find one high grade Charlton animated book at a show, I'm thrilled. Needless to say, this show passed expectations. Again, the prices were outstanding.

The prize of this batch:

IMG_0042-1.jpg

I wanna meet the man who thought anyone in the US would buy a Snuffy Smith book during the 1970's.

IMG_0015-3.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Sweet anniversary issue that I've never seen in anything close to HG.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0019-2.jpg

IMG_0020-3.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

Some odds and ends:

Don't know how tough this is, but pickd up two nice copies for cheap.

IMG_0048.jpg

What the heck was this doing in a $5 bin. A beautiful copy, with most problems in the scan on the bag, not the book.

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0014-3.jpg

Can't remember for sure, but I think this is a tougher Whitman DC variant.

IMG_0049.jpg

Never even saw this before

IMG_0050.jpg

And one lone Harvey

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Charlton romance.. does it get any better? :cloud9: I've been looking at quite a few of these at the GCD, and I've found this guy, Art Cappello, to consistently have the best covers. Cheesy as hell, sure, but at the same time there's a certain raw honesty to them.. Some of his later work is just amazing.

Many thanks for posting these!

Can't remember for sure, but I think this is a tougher Whitman DC variant.

IMG_0049.jpg

Don't collect DC Whitmans! Noooooo! :frustrated:

Yes, that's a tougher issue. Probably not in the top 20 due to there being known multi-packs still around that contain that issue. I've got a raw VF plus a sweet copy in a multi-pack, plus a couple undercopies.

We should talk about some trading, see Charltons below... :devil: Coming to Mid-Ohio Con this year?

BTW, I'm loving all the cool stuff you are posting even though I'm not quoting them all with :cloud9:s lol

th_hauntedlibrary26-f2.jpgth_hauntedlibrary32-f.jpgth_hauntedlibrary33-f.jpgth_hauntedlibrary37-f.jpgth_hauntedlibrary38-f.jpgth_hauntedlibrary39-f.jpgth_hauntedlibrary45-f.jpgth_houseofyang1-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves46-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves55-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves57-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves59-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves61-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves63-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves64-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdoctorgraves65-f.jpgth_manyghostsofdrgraves35-f.jpg