• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

The question with this auction is it a scam or an insufficiently_thoughtful_person seller. If they are smart enough to take a picture, get it on their pc and post an auction then I can’t consider ignorance. Of course I think “scam” is a little harsh and is why I say they are not being totally honest.

It doesn't take smarts to have a friend or relative with a digital camera, a computer, an Internet connection, and a little knowledge of E-Bay but no knowledge of comics or collectibles. There are millions of people in that category in the US. The fact that you'd describe a potentially ignorant seller as an "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" suggests you're not considering that 90% of the people in the world have no idea how to run a good auction, and 99.999% of them know jack about comics. The possible variety in the way they choose to sell something that plops into their laps is infinite.

It all means the same to me. If they got a friend or relative to help them than that only adds more people into the loop. I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn’t say “Hey...Lets look these over a bit and see what we are doing”.

I understand your point, don’t get me wrong. Computers are my profession and I am well aware of the common persons knowledge. Peoples understanding of computers has boomed in just the past 5 years. If this auction was placed just 4 years ago, I wouldn't be so suspicious.

I also think that there is a small chance that this auction is legit. It is just that the evidence we are given points the other way. I do however think that the seller is not necessarily out to totally scr#w someone. I just think they are just playing the ignorance card in hopes of getting a little more cash.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

One of us HAS to e-mail this guy; I just can't believe it! Two bid each other up by about $10,000...looks like the average cost per book was around $15, assuming there were around 1000 books in the collection. Unbelievable price for a collection with no list.

I hope that winning bidder lives within driving distance of "daddyslittlegirl"!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

One of us HAS to e-mail this guy; I just can't believe it! Two bid each other up by about $10,000...

Whassamatter FF, you were the guy who told me to keep an open mind, and that the seller could be legit.

So maybe the winner will get a storehouse of Marvel Silver Age #1's and laugh all the way to the bank?

I know I'm laughing.. 27_laughing.gif

It's interesting what you can dig up in a few quick searches.

The winning bidders most recent positive feedback was for purchasing this. 27_laughing.gif

If you do a search on his bidding history, you'll see that his eBay interests have suddently turned towards comics (or his accounts been hijacked) and he's the high bidder on another lot of 1500 comics that ends tomorrow.

He also seems to have a "special" interest in Hulk #181. 893whatthe.gif

He's currently the high bidder on 7 CGC graded copies. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Whassamatter FF, you were the guy who told me to keep an open mind, and that the seller could be legit.

So maybe the winner will get a storehouse of Marvel Silver Age #1's and laugh all the way to the bank?

I know I'm laughing.. 27_laughing.gif

That's because your arrogance and desire to win debates prevents you from dealing with complexity in an objective way. I was arguing from an objective point of view, and you were arguing from a subjective one. Why do you always do that--do you simply not understand the concept of open-minded objectivity, or do you believe that biased, closed-minded subjectivity is a superior mindset?

$15,300.00 893whatthe.gif

Holy smokes! foreheadslap.gif

I thought it might hit $5000 ($5 per book).

If he has $15,000 to invest in comics he should have got a FF 1 VF+(8.5) and tried to flip it when the movie comes out.

The WHOLE auction was silly from inception. Just call me either cynical or VERY, VERY intuitive. After all, this is my post and the results are indicative of the weight of credibilty for this auction. The fellow who bid up to $15,300 will be VERY suprised with the offerings I am sure!

Did anyone who requested a list of more info from the seller get a reply? I refuse to believe that anyone would spend that much on what was shown.

If it is true, it is time to rethink my buyer only mentality.

I believe the buyer of this auction got rooked. Nothing more, nothing less.

And yes, I take sides, and don't flit around like some Neutral Nelly playng both sides of the fence.

That's an overly simplistic way of looking at complexity; it's lazy, and above all, stupidly arrogant--you're actually taking pride in leaping before you look. When you've got sufficient data to make a decision, you make a decision. When you've got limited data, you withhold judgement until you get more. If time is a factor, you do what you can with what you've got. You constantly form opinions in these forums with limited evidence and with almost no attempt to gather any...and what's worse...you typically refuse to change your opinion once you hear more evidence!

You can be objective without being indecisive--you simply withhold judgement until you're forced to make a decision. Taking a side from the start of an esoteric topic is the definition of bias. Bias is good, but only when it's well-informed and not based on assumption.

but this is clearly a scam at this point

Even if it's not and the rest of the books are from the same time period as the ones shown, who knows what shape they're in...this price was just INSANE! shocked.gif

When you've got sufficient data to make a decision, you make a decision.

When it comes to my money, I'll make the call when and how I feel like it.

I was using the term "you" generically...we all know by now that you almost never have your mind changed by anybody! If only we could all be as omnisciently hyperintelligent as you... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif