• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures

207 posts in this topic

maybe i should'nt have apologized after he called me a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.i know one thing, he will never get my money again.

Welcome to the boards, Albert! Richie is ...how can I say this nicely? A unique individual:)

He remembered from last year, which centerfolds I was looking for. [/color]

Must ... Resist ... The ... Obvious ...

:hi:

I'm SURE I should be blushing, so... :makepoint: :makepoint:

In advance... :hi:

lol! You guys crack me up!

I was hoping that post was buried, Gary :hi:

If you want to have a little fun with Richie, low-ball him on an offer for one of his ebay auctions and then send him a message a few days later asking why he didnt respone...

Sorry to dig this up, but I did send him an offer that I thought was fair (not a low ball), and then got promptly blocked from his auctions.

Go figure. I can spend my money elsewhere!

Richie did provide one of the nicest moments of this year's Comic-Con. I turned the corner by his booth, and there he was, right in the middle of the chaos that is Comic-Con, reading comics to Bechara's kids, and having a darn good time doing it. The kids were all smiles.

If you want to have a little fun with Richie, low-ball him on an offer for one of his ebay auctions and then send him a message a few days later asking why he didnt respone...

Sorry to dig this up, but I did send him an offer that I thought was fair (not a low ball), and then got promptly blocked from his auctions.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same person, but I think it is. I offered him a decent price for one of his comics (which was a Buy-It-Now with a Best Offer function), and he responded with a counter-offer that was $1 less than his BIN price. (I believe it was a mid-grade Junior comic and he was asking something like $500, and I offered $400.)

So I emailed him and politely said I didn't mean to be rude with my offer (which is what a $1 under BIN counter offer suggests to me -- that he found something objectionable in my offer). I said I thought I'd made a reasonable offer, and pointed out that my offer was well over guide price. (I think I was offering about $100 over the guide price, but about $100 under his BIN.) My message was pretty bland, I thought -- not confrontational or aggressive, just an attempt to open a line of communication and hopefully make a deal on a comic I wanted.

He responded by telling me I was being a know-it-all, proclaiming me banned for life, and stating that he would henceforth be ignoring/blocking all communications from me.

I've known Rich Muchin since the 70's. I've bought many books from him throughout the years but unrestored. He will message me periodically and tell me he'll be in such and such a place and ask me if I want to meet him so he can show me some books I might be interested in. Although I personally don't agree with his acts of "conservation" (don't know why he spends the time, expense and effort to do it), I've got to repect a guy who marches to his own drummer. He may seem unapproachable at first at cons, but once he knows you, you've got yourself a friend for life...and yes...clear your calendar...cause this man can talk and talk and talk and it's a challenge to get a word in edgewise! Amazing individual, one of a kind.

I bought a comic from him about a year ago that he graded fine, it came back from CGC as a 6.0 (blue). I also just ordered a comic from him through ebay. He accepted my $150 offer on his $300 asking price. As long as the book is graded pretty accurately he will keep getting my business. The book being a western may have had something to do with his accepting my offer though.

Met him at this year's DC con. Worth it for the entertainment value alone.

His selection was also unreal--some genuine rare books, with a verbal dissertation on Black Cat Mystery for free.

It was an education to me when a customer brought up a group of 10 Silver Age keys for trade and he basically denigrated them as all "low-grade" (3.0-4.0) and literally tossed them aside.

Still, I ended up buying a stack of low-grade mainstream Silver Age books from his miscellaneous $3 table and his wife (?) gave me a discount. Surprised me because the customer immediately before me had asked for a similar discount and the woman flat out rejected her, pointing out (correctly) they were already discounted.

I had a recent dealing with Richard. He had a GA book I had been looking for years. It had "conservation" meaning restored but that didn't bother me. I hit the BIN and got the book. Although the book presented beautifully, it was missing the last page (quite disappointing because that book still eludes me).

I sent him an e-mail. He promptly replied and asked me to send the book back in the condition I received it and he would reverse the paypal charges. He also said he would send me a paypal payment to cover my shipping cost.

It all went off fine. Quickly reversed the charges and sent me my shipping costs. He was very polite and never questioned or disputed anything.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same person, but I think it is. I offered him a decent price for one of his comics (which was a Buy-It-Now with a Best Offer function), and he responded with a counter-offer that was $1 less than his BIN price. (I believe it was a mid-grade Junior comic and he was asking something like $500, and I offered $400.)

So I emailed him and politely said I didn't mean to be rude with my offer (which is what a $1 under BIN counter offer suggests to me -- that he found something objectionable in my offer). I said I thought I'd made a reasonable offer, and pointed out that my offer was well over guide price. (I think I was offering about $100 over the guide price, but about $100 under his BIN.) My message was pretty bland, I thought -- not confrontational or aggressive, just an attempt to open a line of communication and hopefully make a deal on a comic I wanted.

He responded by telling me I was being a know-it-all, proclaiming me banned for life, and stating that he would henceforth be ignoring/blocking all communications from me.

lol Wow. Quite the range of stories and experiences in this thread!

Interesting. Recently I made an offer on eBay for a Timely "teen" book. Initially I didn't get a response and reminded him that my offer was about to lapse. He respectfully declined and that was that. No histrionics; no blackballing until the end of time. Maybe he has found love.

Richie M. had some of the recently auctioned Eldon books at his booth at SDCC this year, and they were a sight to behold: Detective 40, Supes 5 and 11, etc.

His wife (Cathy) is nice to chat with.

I bought two books off him at this year's Con, and was very happy with the pair. (thumbs u

I kept the email he sent me.

It's paraphrased, but you get the idea:

“I consider such an attempt to influence my consideration of your offer to be not only ridiculous [as stated above YOU have NOT inspected the book], but a calculated and arrogant assertion that is completely without merit.”

Not sure why anyone would waste time dealing with this guy with all the availability of comics these days from far cheerier and more grown-up personalities. Sounds like if you get to know him he's an engaging and talkative fellow -- I have neither the time nor desire to invest... he's been on my "walk right past" list for about ten years now.