• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures

207 posts in this topic

I like him, he's interesting. I went through that ignoring thing for a while, till someone I know introduced us, then I couldn't get him to stop talking. He's VERY knowledgeable, nice, I think the eating sandwiches, reading newspaper thingy, is because he might actually be shy until he knows you.

I've bought several times, never a problem. I do suggest you ask if he's done ANYTHING to the book, in case he forgets to mention it...

I'm bumping an old thread because I happened to meet Richie Muchin yesterday at Wizard World Miami.

I actually talked with him once before at last years Supercon in Miami and I was a bit surprised the way he seemed to not be interested in customers. He was very interested in other things...

However, yesterday among a sea of non-comic book dealers, I found Richie's booth and was really happy I asked about GA Archie's. There were plenty to look at. While I was there another guy came up to inquire about an Action Comics #6 that Richie was holding for him. I must have stood there for about an hour while the three of us talked about GA comics, Actions, Archie's, etc.

I was really surprised how much Richie opened up and really started talking.

I think there is a perception he isn't nice but I think the post above hits the nail on the head. He has to be shy because as soon as we had this common ground he was super nice. Pulling out tons of books for me...I changed my opinion of him after that.

I ended up buying a few GA Pep and Archie's from him. The price for the nice looking Pep 80 was higher than guide but I expected that in higher grade. Of course my fear is about restoration but I don't think it has any. I've looked at it really closely and don't see anything.

I was also impressed with his full disclosure on the Action 6 restoration that he listed for the other buyer. he seemed very upfront about it all.

I know others may have had bad experiences and I don't discount them. I just wanted to share my experience.

I am submitting the Pep 80 to CGC and my fingers are crossed it comes back universal and above 6.5!

Interesting, the person asking about the Action 6, was also a boarder....and that must have been a quote from a long time ago, lol...I've learned to be VERY careful since that post...congrats on the purchase and good luck!

Thanks for the info...i'd be interested in catching up with the Action 6 boardie...

He lied about the condition of a book I bought, and when called on it, was hostile and offensive...and did nothing about it. The man stole from me, and acted like he was the one with the grievance.

If he ever wants to apologize ( lol ), I'd reconsider.

Thanks everyone. I didn't do my due diligence this time around and got blinded by some hard to find comics at a show that had 3 or 4 comic sellers.... I wouldn't have made the buy knowing what I know now. Live and learn...

Fingers crossed on what I bought.

When I buy from him I always tell him I want a book untouched or altered in any way. If you use the Rword then you could still end up with a book that has teared seals. And to him tear seals is not resto.

I wonder does he do the tear seals or did he buy them like that? hm everytime I see one of his auctions on Ebay his comics always seem to have tear seals.

I have seen Rich at several shows and he always seemed very much the business man. He spent his time trying to buy or sell books and didn't have time to chat with customers that didn't want to buy anything. I saw more than one person pick fights with him and he never backed down. Perhaps he could be charming and stop restoring his books but he is no different than other dealers who do the same. He prices things high but so does Metropolis and the rest of the NYC market.

Some dealers are fun to talk to and make the process more enjoyable. Check out Dave Reynolds in Philly. He has always been pretty fair but he still wants to make a buck. Don't expect to sell to him at guide price and don't look for too big a discount.

Thanks everyone. I didn't do my due diligence this time around and got blinded by some hard to find comics at a show that had 3 or 4 comic sellers.... I wouldn't have made the buy knowing what I know now. Live and learn...

Keep us apprised...

:popcorn:

When I buy from him I always tell him I want a book untouched or altered in any way. If you use the Rword then you could still end up with a book that has teared seals. And to him tear seals is not resto.

I wonder does he do the tear seals or did he buy them like that? hm everytime I see one of his auctions on Ebay his comics always seem to have tear seals.

He self seals...;)

ICheck out Dave Reynolds in Philly.

Nationwide Comics - heck of a good guy, integrity, full disclosure, fair prices. I've picked up some nice books from him in years past.

He was associated with Terrys Comics at one point, but I haven't seen them together in a while.

ICheck out Dave Reynolds in Philly.

Nationwide Comics - heck of a good guy, integrity, full disclosure, fair prices. I've picked up some nice books from him in years past.

He was associated with Terrys Comics at one point, but I haven't seen them together in a while.

Dave and Terry came by the house and purchased a bunch of comics one time. Dave came back and purchased a bunch more the second time. He got a lot of stuff cheap and some stuff that I am not sure would sell so easily. It was fun but since then I have only seen them at shows. Saw Dave by himself in NYC a few years ago. I was going to sell him the rest of my collection (all 100 boxes) before I moved but decided to pile up the car and move the collection by myself.

bb

He self seals...;)

hm ... :eek: ... (tsk)

Keep us apprised...

:popcorn:

Well...here's the scoop...the comic has suspected color touch. I brought it to my LCS (an Overstreet advisor) and it has what looks like to both of us...color touching on the first P in PEP. Above where the name is written in pencil (which looks like it was possibly erased a little). You can see where there is a little lighter patch among what looks like a darker red blotch in the P. It's faint but is there...not sure what else it could be

Here is the scan.

img055.jpg

I'm not sure what to do. Should I ask for my money back? Call him or email?

Thanks guys.

There's a water stain by the price. Could the discoloration in the "P" be another small water stain?

You also might want to look at it under black light. If there is color touch there it will usually show up distinctly under the black light.

There's a water stain by the price. Could the discoloration in the "P" be another small water stain?

That was my first thought too...

Lots of books have name erasures (Larson anyone?), and those aren't considered restored (though we of course wish it had just been left alone).

Pretty nice looking book if it checks out resto free.

:eek: Any bleed through on the inside of the cover?

The area affected is all black on the inside cover in that one spot which makes it harder to see...but it looks like there is some blotch on the inside cover that lines up to the affected area on the front cover. Hard to describe and I don't have the camera skills to get close ups. I don't have a black light. hm