• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Personal Comic Book Timeline

85 posts in this topic

We collect storybooks for a hobby. Seems pretty natural as humans and collectors that we write our own narrative of our lives. We do it even if we aren't aware of it, everytime we edit in and out, the past as we tell friends something that happened in our life.

What's your comic book collecting timeline? Hit the high points or flesh it full out.

I'm going to start with the skeleton.

1972- born.

1978- my oldest comic book still in my possession. I assume that by 77-78, I was reading, and this sounds right. It's a coverless WDC&S with Scamp on the splash page. :)

1978-1983- read funny animal books exclusively. Primarily Gold key and Whitman 3 packs. Duck books were my favorite, by far, but loved Popeye, Richie Rich, Little Lotta, etc.

1984. Bought my first superhero book. Spectacular Spider-Man 99. Featuring the Spot. Still have it. Still love it. Followed closely by Amazing Spider-Man 269 and 270. To this day, I love the black costume, love Spidey, love superhero books.

1987-Found Ronin, DKR, Lone Wolf and Cub, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Teeneage Mutant Ninja Turtles. A watershed year for comics to me, and to this day, a highlight year for comic books, as far as I'm concerned.

1988-1990- Graduated high school in 1990. Was a full on Marvel zombie, buying back issues in Slidell, LA, New Orleans, LA, the MS gulf coast, and all parts inbetween (Hi, BIll!) My collection grew from a few hundred to a few thousand. Was regularly collecting Spidey, Groo, Justice League (Geffen), TMNT, Usagi, Hulk, X-men titles, and all sorts of one shots, minis and collector's editions.

1990- bought 33 McFarlane Spidey 1's. Roguhly that many X-Factor 1's and about 20 Lee X-Men 1's. Not counting all the duplicates, and chromium covers. In other words, with college money to burn (I had three jobs), I was at the center of the perfect storm that was the 90's boom/bust.

1992ish- Found Nexus. Was a happy soul.

1993-college got more expensive, and with only 1 job, times were tight.

1995-got married. nuff said.

1993-2001- lean comic book collecting years. My collection was in about 12 long boxes (roughly 5-6k comics) and I was proud of them, but wasn't sure what their future held for me. No active moderns from 1995ish to 2002.

2002. Found ebay. Started looking at Daredevil comic books. realised that now, as never before, a peson could actually fill holes in their runs and not be dependent on getting lucky at stores and taking decades to complete runs. Finished DD in early 2003 (IIRC)

2006- Finished Amazing Spider-Man run. (or thereabouts. It's one of my earliest posts. My dates may be off)

2002-2008- bought lots and lots of comics as well as keys to continue my goals in this hobby.

2008- my thirtieth anniversary of reading comic books.

born, given comic to chew on at birth, still chewing on comics 40+ years later (thumbs u

I do think this is a neat idea, I am just too lazy to type that much lol

born, given comic to chew on at birth, still chewing on comics 40+ years later (thumbs u

ah, come on, Rick. I'd love to hear your "story".

Nice idea! (thumbs u

1971- first exposure to comics. My dad buys us some on a beach trip. The one I remember is Batman 234 (damn Neal Adams, ruined me for the next 37 years of inferior Bat-artwork! :mad:). Book gets wet, grandmother dries it out in the oven in our motel's kitchenette. Partially explains why I never became a high-grade collector. :roflmao:

1974- heavily in to comics collecting, despite the vague feeling I've missed all the really cool stuff from DC in the early 1970s. Manage to get most of the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter series in Detective new off the stands.

1978/1979- first local comic-con. discovered back issue comics store within bicyling distance. Discover Grell's Warlord as a recent back issue. Pick up the Englehart / Rogers Detective Comics new off the stands.

c 1980- begin to mail-order back issues. Picked up my copy of GL #76 from Howard ("Tape is not considered a defect") Rogofsky. I did inquire about whether it had any tape beforehand though! ;)

1981- go to college. simultaneously distracted by other things, :devil: but also discovered my first big-time comics shop: the Great Escape in Nashville. Silver Age collection balloons as a result. Back issues collect in my dorm room until periodic trips back home transfer them to the main collection. Discover Alan Moore's Swamp Thing from the Great Escape's 25 cent boxes.

1985- graduate, move to small town. Post Crisis on Infinite Earths, pretty much lose interest in mainstream new comics. Do get Watchmen and Dark Knight as new issues.

1989-1991 graduate school in Boston. :headbang: Haunt the Million Year Picnic, New England Comics, Comicopia. Pretty much down to Neil Gaiman's Sandman as a new issue.

1992- back to North Carolina. Sandman and James Robinson's Starman keep me dabbling in new issues throughout the 1990s.

1998- Grant Morrison's JLA relaunch gets me interested in mainstream super-hero comics again. Start buying on eBay, where I find for the first time in my life low-grade Golden Age books to be available and somewhat affordable.

2001- Buy a new house with a decent-sized basement. Mom & Dad finally liberate their own basement from my old comic book collection. My entire accumulation together for the first time, I find a) lots of duplicates I need to sell and b) lots of beaters I need to upgrade. My buying starts to focus on the upgrading the truly low-grade examples.

2002- Discover these forums. Wife files first of several missing persons reports on me. :o

2005- Find myself buying way too many new comics leading up to Infinite Crisis. Dramatically cut back when it becomes clear all those mini-series are a cash grab not really tying in to the main story, which itself wasn't all that great. :P

2008- Very selectively buying new comics, primarily those written by Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison. Upgrading back issues, selling off undercopies, down to a dozen or so back issues I'm still actively pursuing, apart from upgrades. Most of the remaining wants are Golden Age going for more $$$ than I want to spend, so no particular hurry.

2009- :banana: :banana: :banana::wishluck:

Picked up a trashed copy of FF50 at a second hand bookstore around 1973. Spent the next few years trolling second hand book stores looking for treasure. Slowly built up my FF collection until it was complete except for #1. Briefly speculated in the late 70's early 80's with Howard the Duck #1, Peter Parker #1 etc. I was picking up Howard the Duck #1 for a quarter at the drugstore and selling it the next day for $10. Oh joy.

Started chasing girls in high school and sold most of my Bronze era stuff for almost nothing to the neighborhood kid with a paper route. He by the way had the worst body odour of any person I had ever met.

Kept my remaining comics in boxes and allowed them to slowly degrade. Met my wife, actually she wasn't my wife when I met her but in time with plenty of begging and bribes on my part she did marry me, and decided the comics had to go. Sold everything but my FFs and a small stack of Silver Marvels to a dealer for almost nothing. Wish I could quit saying "almost nothing". While I was sorting through my comics deciding what to sell a funny thing happened. I got the bug again.

Spent the last 16 years slowly upgrading and adding to my collection. Ebay allowed me to find comics I had never seen before. Now that the mortgage is gone I can spend a little more $$ for comics and I'm really enjoying the hobby and this board.

1962 - Born

1970 - Read my first comic book: Where Monsters Dwell #8. I have no idea what happened to it.

1976 - Bought my first Overstreet Guide and started buying comics books off the stands and saving them. I was a total Marvel Zombie all through the 1970's. Some of the first comic books that I bought and saved were Amazing Spider-Man #166, Incredible Hulk #198, Marvel Team-Up #44, Defenders #29, and Marvel Super-Heroes #56. Became a huge fan of Master of Kung Fu and Warlock.

1978 - Used my mom's typewriter to type up a list of every comic book I owned. I listed the title, issue number, cover price, artist, inker, and current Overstreet value. I still have that typed list.

1980 - Became an X-Men junkie in high school. Still have fond memories of those early Claremont / Byrne / Austin issues. New comics arrived on Thursdays back then, and my friend Dan and I would race each other to the newsstand on our bikes after school to see what new issues had arrived.

1981 - Bought my first EC comic book, a copy of Weird Science #21 from a guy in my hometown who sold old comics and baseball cards out of his house. I remember staring at it for hours and reading it over and over. EC's were so exotic to me back then. I had seen them in the Overstreet guide, but I never thought that I would actually own one. Later that same year I would also buy a Fantastic Four #2 from the same guy.

1983 - Entered college. Found out one of my professors was a big time comic book reader/collector. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw his collection, virtually every comic book printed by every publisher from 1964-present. (Even undergrounds!) I discovered so many comic books that I never knew existed.

1983 - Attended my first comic book show, a Chicago Minicon in November. Met my first comic book pros: Len Wein, Mike Baron, Joe Staton, John Ostrander and Timothy Truman.

1984 - Attended my first big comic book convention, the Chicago Comicon. Met Jack Kirby and got 3 books signed by him. Also bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 for $50. I would attend the Chicago Comicon/Wizard World Chicago ever year thereafter.

1986 - Met Stan Lee for the first time at the Chicago Comicon. He signed my Amazing Spider-Man #7.

1988 - Bought my first piece of original comic art at the Chicago Comicon, the splash page from The Weird #2 by Bernie Wrightson. I still have it.

1989-1997 More conventions, more comics, more room needed to house my collection.

1998 - Joined eBay. Loved being able to purchase old comic books year round. Made lots of new comic book friends through eBay.

2000 - Attended my first San Diego Comic-Con. Had a blast. Bought lots of EC's. Attended the EC 50th Anniversary Celebration and AACC dinner. Met Al Feldstein, Marie Severin, Al Williamson, Jack Kamen, Will Elder, Angelo Torres and Jack Davis. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. Wish I had taken more pictures!

2006 - Finally completed my collection of all the New Trend and New Direction EC's. (Only missing a few issues of Mad.) I also had most of the pre-trend issues and most of the picto-fiction mags.

2007 - Sold my entire EC collection. No severe regrets, used the proceeds as a down payment on a new house.

2008 - Still trying to decide what to collect next. Dabbling in Timelys, and pre-code horror (non-EC).

1967 - Hatched

1979 - Tell dad I want to collect baseball cards, he convinces me I want to collect comics (The $50 he gives me to buy first batch of books from Mile High seals the deal).

1979-1983 - Huge collection built up with dad. Understand history of comics, memorize price guide, give John Verzyl enough money he can have a couple kids. Tec 28-30, Military #1, 60 GA Mile Highs, complete Showcase/Brave&Bold/JLA runs highlight collection.

1983 - Dad meets new girlfriend who thinks comics are stupid. I quickly find out "our" collection was "his" collection. He dumps it for pennies on the dollar. I am left with the "junk" I didn't care about - SA marvels and up.

1983-86 - I try to collect a bit, but buying a $5 modern just didn't give the same rush.

1989 - Go to college, decide to sell leftover books because I don't have place to store them and don't want to collect any more.

2007 - Goofing around on eBay, put in a thrill bid on a Batman #11 CGC book that will fit in with my poker collectibles. I win the stupid thing. A couple months later I buy a second comic and I get started with my niche collection.

2008 - Figure out how to pay bills.

1967...born

1973...dad buys me Silver Surfer #1 for 25 cents at a flea market...my first comic...

1973-1987...buy and casually read comics

1988...start buying "seriously"....DC Silver agefirst

1988-1990...completed the entire Marvel and DC silverage super hero's (that's right, every issue)

1990-introduced to golden age by buying an OO Action 1 for $18K (took a year to pay for it)

1991- bought same OO Action 2-14 (another year to pay)

1992-1995...completed action 1-100 and Batman 1-100 and various other books, mutiple SA keys, etc

1995....sold EVERYTHING (just about) to expand my business

1995-2005....worked on our business, no major comic purchases

2005-current...buying like a madman lol

This is a bit more elaborate that others, but what the heck:

1980: Born

1991: I am first introduced to Uncanny X-Men comics by a neighbor who I went to school with (I believe issue #284 was the first comic I laid eyes upon);

1992: Began following Wizard price guides, at which time they were hyping the heck out of Cable.

1993-1994: Began frequenting a local comic books shop. Picked up modern Spider-man books, and eventually my grail at the time: New Mutants #87 (Graduated to purchasing all kinds of Image Comics, much to my regret).

1995-1996: Purchased Marvel Spotlight #5 in VF from a guy selling books out of his apartment. This was the first time I had heard about selling books online. Purchased a VG copy of ASM Annual #1, and traded in a large portion of my comic collection in order to purchase a beat up copy of ASM #3;

1996 - 1998: I spend the most I ever have on a collectible, to date: $400 for a refractor rookie card of Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway (stupid move); Purchased a beautiful copy of Incredible Hulk #181 from John Hauser, for an extremely reasonable price (great move). Traded in my ASM Annual and sold my ASM #3 in order to purchase a NM- copy of Giant Size X-Men #1;

1998: Registered with eBay and began purchasing and selling comics and baseball cards online. I purchase my first car (Mustang) with earnings from work and with sales of my GSX-Men and Hulk #181 on ebay;

1999: Graduated from High School and purchased 65" Widescreen Television;

2001: I get real big into stereo surround. I purchase a Tag McLaren pre-amplifier and M&K professional surround speakers, essentially investing all of my available funds into creating my home movie theater;

September, 2005: I get serious about comics again after having graduated from college, and securing full-time employment. Purchased a CGC 9.2 copy of Silver Surfer #3 from ebay via Heritage Auctions;

August, 2006: Purchased a CGC 8.0 copy of X-Men #12 from Crazy Ed, and a CGC 9.0 copy of ASM #129 from another dealer at Wizard World Chicago;

Late August, 2006: Received an auction catalogue from Heritage, which introduced me to the Crippen Collection and the wonderful books created in the Golden Age of comics;

Early September, 2006: I purchase my first Junior Comics issue (highest purchase price paid as of that date). I begin selling off my Bronze and Silver Age books;

September, 2006: I contact several dealers inquiring if they had purchased certain books in Heritage's August of 2006 Featured Auction (I wish I had a time machine)auction. I am first introduced to the attitude of Metropolis, who did happen to purchase a few of the books I wanted. I buy up several Crippen "D Copy" books in Heritage's auction, 4 Mile High Pedigree books (including Rangers #36), along with 6 expensive Pulp books (Weird Tales) from the collection of John McLaughlin. I spend the most $ I had ever had on comics in a single month in September. I spend $900 on a single comic book, which sets a new record for me for the highest price paid for a book;

October, 2006: I purchase my first Jo-Jo Comics book;

November, 2006: I buy up numerous D Copy Pedigree books from Heritage's Featured and weekly Auctions.

December, 2006 - April, 2007: I take a long break from purchasing comics due to frustration with locating certain books, and aggravation with discussing potential purchases with Vincent at Metropolis. I miss out on a few key Pedigre books that are sold on Heritage that I hope surface again one day;

May, 2007: I start purchasing books again, and pick up one of my favorite books for a reasonable price in retrospect (I thought was quite expensive at the time);

June, 2007: I spend nearly $2k on a beautiful Mile High book, at the same time second guessing whether I wish to remain in the hobby;

July, 2007: I joined the CGC registry.

August, 2007: I go to WW Chicago and start selling off books in my collection, with the mindset of selling off the book I just won in June and and getting out of the hobby. I meet Joe at JHV Associates, who demonstrated just the right attitude I

was looking for in a dealer, and ended up purchasing a book from him. I meet Josh at Comiclink, and Richard Evans at Bedrock City, and I decide to remain collecting comics, with a narrower range of collecting focus;

Late August, 2007 thru December, 2007: I go on a spending spree and pick up some key GGA books from a variety of sources, including from people that I made connections with at Wizard World. Picked up my first 2 Phantom Lady books in November;

January thru March of 2008: I sell off everything I can think of in order to raise funds for comic purchases. I obtain a few lower value "Grail Books;"

April, 2008: I purchase my copy of Phantom Lady #17, spending more money on a comic than I ever thought possible;

May, 2008: I purchase a few raw books from Metropolis (thru Frank),

June, 2008: I finally obtain both of the books from Metropolis that I had wanted from Heritage's past August of 2006 auction. I also pick up a major grail of mine later in the month from some friendly people;

July, 2008: I pick up high grade copies of Crime Reporter #2 and Exciting #60;

August, 2008: I purchase the Mile High copy of my favorite Fiction House issue;

September, 2008: I upgrade my mid-grade copy of of one of favorite books to high grade;

October, 2008: I pick up a high grade copy of Rangers #26, another book with a classic cover;

November, 2008: Ranks as my highest spending month ever, picking up 1 grail book in mid-grade, 1 grail book in uber high grade, a Mile High book, along with 4 mini-grails in high grade. Reached as high as #85 in points on the CGC registry.

December, 2008 onward: I continue to assemble several of the highest graded sets on the CGC comics registry;

Early 2009: ? - perhaps rest a bit from a spending spree that may be a bit out of control. Luckily, there are far fewer issues left to obtain.

1971 - born

Age 12 - reading Conan the Barbarian

Age 13 - found a drug store that would sell Savage Sword of Conan to a kid

Age 13 - Mom discovers Conan comics, browses them, and destroys them in outrage.

Age 13 - Hopelessly hooked on comics' ability to outrage my mother.

Age 14 - discover local back-issue comic book store, and begin biking there to spend weekly allowance. The concept of "valuable" back-issues dawns.

Age 15 - Take a gamble to buy ASM #14 for $20.

That's the fun part of the story. The rest is "collecting as usual."

cool thread idea (thumbs u i'll give it a try

born october 12, 1970 same time this book was on the stands.

dc_special_14.JPG

my introduction into comic books was in 1976. a friend of mine Nick and his older brothers collected back issue and a guy named Jack who was maybe 10 years older then me lived a few houses the opposite direction.

Nick and his brothers had a few hundred Marvels from the 60's. i can't remember what condition they we're in. i do remember they we're completely raw, no bags or boards.

i remember lots of Iron Man books, lots of FF books, Avengers and Hulks.

immediately i thought they we're very cool. :cool:

Jack was 16, 17, 19? something like that. his mother would watch me every once in a while if my mother needed to run out for something. she took me into his room one day and opened his closet. :o

there we're multiple trunks full of comics. boxes stacked on top of even more boxes full of comics. they we're overflowing out of the boxes onto the shelves in his closet.

but what really struck me about his collection was how perfectly organized the comics we're. at that time i had never seen anything like it. everything was doubled boarded and bagged. everything was in alphabetical order and numeric order. he had many doubles, and from what i recall the books we're in extremely nice condition.

basically i have been chasing his collection all these years. there had been many years without buying a single book .

i was in my early 20's when started working and making some cash. i began buying books form local comic shops like Barbarian Book Shop in Wheaton, MD and local Hotel cons. but it was slow going.

then there was eBay. i was amazed at how many books you could find with eBay. my first ever online eBay purchase was an Iron Man #4. i was hooked until i found this place and i went into overdrive.

in the end i would say my collection is about 6 books shy of my old friend Jacks collection. :headbang:

1973 - born

197? - grow up on brother's collection of Aquaman, ASM & Batman

Late 70's, get some starwars (#4, 9, 11) & eternals. LOVE the star wars, eternals makes me want to puke, even at the kindergarten level. It was the hair-do's I think. Eventually get some Hulk & things I like.

1979 - Buy House Of Mystery #261 on the stands, fall in LOVE with comics

1980-1981 - try to find as many House of Mysteries as possible. Many serious trades done on playground.

1982 - Get copy of X-men 129 - fall in love with Kitty Pryde

1984 - 1st Overstreet, get comic collecting kit from sears for christmas. Buy ASM#6 for $20 at LCS -1st purchase over $10...

1985 - Buy 1st EC mail order, Vault of Horror #36 in FR from Sparkle City

1986 - Go to 1st comic convention in Philly. Buy more EC from sparkle city in person this time.

1988 - Start setting up at Philly & Cherry Hill, NJ comic shows. Specialize in SA I was buying at an LCS for $2-$6 and selling for $20-$30 :cloud9: Discover Flaming Carrot & Yummy Fur, start looking into the "Other" comics.

1989/1990- Find Avalon Comics, order tons of GA & Pre-code horror. Buy 1st ASM#1 for $10 from a classmate (It was a fair, but still...). Make killing on Mcfarlane stuff at local shows.

1991-1995 read lots of vertigo, indy stuff, collect all the bronze horror from DC.

1996 - give up comics

1998 - Start buying SA marvels & Pre code horror again in force

2002/2003 - reacquire all the Bronze horror - start the Bronze horror website

2004/2005 - quit day job. sell everything to be able to afford life as an artist

2006-present - alternate bouts of buying frenzy with selling frenzy depending on income at the time. LOVING Golden age.

most spent on a book to this day - $575 on an ASM #1 in 2002 or so.

Edited by shiverbones

hm

Born in 1972

1976 - 1979: read lots of kiddie comics: Pif, Placid et Muzzo, Sylvain et Sylvette, Huckleberry Hound, Mickey Mouse and Picsou a.k.a. Uncle Scrooge

1979 - 1982: read more classic comics: Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke, ...

Summer 1982: bored at the beach, I buy ALL Marvel super-hero comics I can lay my hands on: Strange, Special Strange, Spidey, Titans, Ombrax Saga, ... and expand into Yoko Tsuno, Blake & Mortimer, Alix, ...

1984: Discover Role Playing Games and spend $$$ on books and figures / miniatures. Keep on reading Marvel books especially ALL things Conan

1987 - 1989: High School. Still playing RPGs but less time to read comics

1990 - 1991: Prep school. No time for anything but studies

1992 - 1994: Engineering school. Find a friend reading WildCATs and get back into comics: Image and Marvel. Help run live-action RPGs and waste countless hours playing Tetris ...

1994 / 1995: Military. Busy reading Fantasy novels in English while not cleaning my gun or standing watch freezing my butt at 3 a.m. Thank Heaven for that flask!

1995 - 1997: Grad school in OK. Access to a true comic book shop!! Buy plenty of moderns: X-Men, Avengers, ... a true Marvel Zombie

1997 - 2001: More Grad school. Marvel successfully loses my business.

1999: Buy a random issue of Comic Book Marketplace. Get hooked on Comics History. Yes, there is such a thing as old and interesting comics

2000: Spend $$$ buying most back issues of CBM and Alter Ego becomes its own mag. I reconnect with Uncle Scrooge's canon and discover Don Rosa.

2001: Buy my first Golden Age comics online from Jef Hinds out of Madison, WI: Looney Tunes # 45 from July 1945 and start on my Synchronic March 1952 collection with Western Hearts # 10 from Jef as well.

2001 - 2008: 420 books from March 1952 later, I am still at it trying to find the last 6 I need! In the meantime I pick up more GA / Atom Age books and reprints and comic history books. In 2003, I joined the boards and my fate was sealed!

lol:signfunny:

Edited by Twistty1

1962 - dad buys AF15 and is hooked

1972- born

1976-discover the collection but not allowed to touch it! given M2in1 20 to read.

1980-parents split dad takes comics with him (and sells af15)

1986-i get back into reading them heavily and dad gives me the collection

1987-buy TPB's of watchmen and DKR. think im a serious reader and collector now

1990-buying 30 new books a month and at college - so stop buying (you know how bad marvel was at this time)

1995-havent looked at them for a long time. write out a list and send it to 5 dealers i know. only daryl from silver acre responds. off they go for a pittance.

2001-we get internet and i discover CLINK. dont buy anything but keep up with the market

2008- come across this board. dont register but find myself visiting more and more.

2008sept-buy my first comics for over 15 years. i blame you lot. thanks for bringing me back in.

neil

born in 1961 and too fekkin' old to rememberize dis z - kudos to those with cogent memories....., :thumbsup: