• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - Phoenix Comicon: January 23-25, 2009

214 posts in this topic

It wasnt as easy to get a ticket as you would think....I went through the line 4 times, but it was for Desertwind Comics and I helped Chris(the collector) with a couple of his books. I had books from MacMan to get signed and was unable to since I had no tickets of my own. I was glad to help out with everyone. The tickets were all gone Sat. morning. Desertwind comics had a lot of us in line with comics trying their best to get everyones books done....but Todd people were pretty sticky about the 2 book rule.

I was however at the last minute to get a book signed for MacMan.

James, I said it in the PM, and I'll say it here: you hooked me up with a Stan Lee last year and I'm extremely grateful! I also appreciate your trying to get these as I know Todd's a popular one!

I'm still picking up a couple rounds for you next year in B-More!!!

Sounds like it was a tough signing.

Hopefully a witness can set up a private signing with Todd in the future,making it alot easier for everyone.

Man, I'll be one of the first in line if someone can set up a private signing. So who's going to be calling Todd this week on the Bat-phone to set something up?

Also, many thanks to all of the CGC SS witnesses and their helpers for getting as many signings done as possible. It's cons like this one (which the artist puts limits on the signings), that really show how much the witnesses have to jump through hoops and find creative ways of trying to get that one extra signature for us. I will gladly buy a round for the witnesses when I get a chance to meet them at WWLA (oh wait, it's been canceled I mean postponed), SDCC or even WonderCon (is that the one in Frisco). My parole officer doesn't allow me to leave the state, so I can't attend Baltimore or Chicago... :sorry: (just kidding by the way)

Brian

Sounds like it was a tough signing.

Hopefully a witness can set up a private signing with Todd in the future,making it alot easier for everyone.

Man, I'll be one of the first in line if someone can set up a private signing. So who's going to be calling Todd this week on the Bat-phone to set something up?

Brian

I call seconds :D

Well let me say this, the signing with Todd was alot of work for some people. I was very fortuante to have had the opportunity to be the official witness for the signing. I happen to be in the right place at the right time. So this is what I observed. Todd was willing to sign anything put in front of him but due to his PR Manager who was a real "pistol", he was very limited to sign only 2 items per person. There were a few occasions where he signed 3 items only because the PR Manager turned her back having to deal with something else. It was great to see everyone from the boards that showed up in Phoenix as I know you all were in the Todd line. I do know that Todd wanted to help certain people out in signing books for them but once again his PR Manager was being a real Bulldog. I do have to say in her defense, she kept the line moving and got everyone through very quickly. They moved the line so fast that they even offered some last minute additional tickets available. It looked like a stampede with everyone running to the back of the hall to grab an extra ticket. One thing that was great was seeing the CGC staff kick it into top form with the huge rush of submissions from Todd's signing.

I have to personally thank everyone who helped Desert Wind Comics get what it needed signed. You all were a huge asset. Since I was the acting witness that left Sharon to have to keep everything running smoothly for Desert Wind Comics. Sharon, acting like the professional she is, and her army of volunteers handled the whole situation with utter beauty. Thanks to you all for your hard work and allowing us to get the job done. lol Yes even you Grinder. But I have to say that knowing that Sharon was wielding her magic and getting everything done was a huge relief, because I know that without her there, Desert Wind Comics would have crashed and burned during the signing. So in front of you all I simply say "THANK YOU, SHARON YOU ARE THE BOMB!"

Now as for getting Todd in a private signing. I can tell you from experience that getting Todd to agree to a private signing would be difficult at best if not down right impossible. Believe me I have tried. But I will not give up. Being that I am always looking to put together signings with creators, Todd is still at the top of my list. And if I was ever to get one scheduled, you guys would be the first to know.

Now for a final note. I was somewhat serious about my earlier comment about we are open to $150 donations per book to go get Todd in Austrialia. I have Sharon checking on airfares to the "Land down under". lol

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

It is true that getting the tickets was easier than expected, but the McFarlane employees who ran the line were strict to the point of being rude, borderline obnoxious/insulting, and, well, let me just say difficult. Yes, on occasion some people got 3 items signed during their pass in line, but that simply encouraged the handlers to be even stricter with the people immediately behind them.

Todd was nice and pleasant when you were in front of him getting books signed, and the line did move quickly which was great. People should check with their specific witness handling their books to discuss their success rate.

Joel

i can attest to the 'rude' behavior of the lady who i now lovingly refer to as the McFarlane line nazi (: She actually picked up my books (when they were naked, outside of their mylars!) with her bare hands!!?!?!?!? i was offended when it happened the first time, and i asked her politely not to touch my books...when i finally got up to Todd, he signed my 2 books and when i was about to ask him to sign two more the line nazi grabbed my books again!

i was a little upset to say the least..

chandler from desertwind had to ask me to move along before i caused a scene :)

i had a very poor experience at this con, and this signing didn't help that...

i did get to meet joel though (thumbs u

Just remember that this PR manager works for Todd and I'm sure part of her role is to deflect and absorb any ill feelings towards Todd so that he does not look like the bad guy. He's Canadian, it's in our nature to be nice but sometimes you need to be firm.

Colin

It was simple. You were pushing the issue. And to be honest, I didn't particularly care for it. CGC Witnesses fight an uphill battle because of people who pull stunts just so they can get one more item signed. Or in your case 2. There are rules and they are in place for a reason. When people try to sneak a couple of extra books through, it reflects poorly on our community. I had to tell you to move on not to repremend you but for everyone elses benefit. Because the last thing we need is one person off Todd and then the signing is over with and everyone else is effected by that. I watched the whole thing and the PR Manager did nothing wrong. You were joking around in line trying to be cute and trying to get 4 books signed. Your 2 books were signed and you had to push the issue and when the PR manager asked you to move along, you ignored her, so yes she then reached over to pick up your books, but that was because you would not. So next time you get in a line, just follow the rules and don't try to be cute. Let's all try to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. If we act like professionals and treat the creators with respect, we will earn their respect back. Then the creators will be willing to go out of their way to help us.

Signed by CHANDLER! (stepping down from my soapbox) :sumo:

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

:golfclap:

Colin

It was simple. You were pushing the issue. And to be honest, I didn't particularly care for it. CGC Witnesses fight an uphill battle because of people who pull stunts just so they can get one more item signed. Or in your case 2. There are rules and they are in place for a reason. When people try to sneak a couple of extra books through, it reflects poorly on our community. I had to tell you to move on not to repremend you but for everyone elses benefit. Because the last thing we need is one person off Todd and then the signing is over with and everyone else is effected by that. I watched the whole thing and the PR Manager did nothing wrong. You were joking around in line trying to be cute and trying to get 4 books signed. Your 2 books were signed and you had to push the issue and when the PR manager asked you to move along, you ignored her, so yes she then reached over to pick up your books, but that was because you would not. So next time you get in a line, just follow the rules and don't try to be cute. Let's all try to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. If we act like professionals and treat the creators with respect, we will earn their respect back. Then the creators will be willing to go out of their way to help us.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

:golfclap:

Colin

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

OH SNAP!!!

I had a pretty good time at the con, and the signing actually went better than I thought. I had not planned at all to get any books signed, but Spiderman-on-tilt convinced me to do it once an extra ticket showed up (I took one book for him personally and one for myself - my first SS in person, very nice). I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the line and since we had time, I asked Todd to pose for a quick photo. He was a class act, and so were Chandler and Sharon. It could not have gone any smoother, as all I had to do was turn the corner and submit directly to the CGC booth.

Next year, I'll strongly consider volunteering for Chandler to help get other people's books signed.

Colin

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Besides how is Chandler going to ask Todd for 50 sigs if you off the PR manager just asking for 4? lol

Colin

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Besides how is Chandler going to ask Todd for 50 sigs if you off the PR manager just asking for 4? lol

:o:roflmao:

:jokealert:

Colin

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Odd you should say this. I had fifty books for Todd to sign. We had something worked out at the end. But I think after a few people pulled getting 3 instead of 2 and colin holding up the line Mr. Mcfarlane and his assistant were quite upset and left right after the last ticketed patron instead of staying the additional 5 minutes that was left to sign mine. This isn't Mr. Mcfarlane's fault nor the fault of his assistant. I hold no ill will toward them nor am I upset the books did not get signed. I do feel that if people weren't trying to get more than what they were alotted Todd would have signed my books per our agreement.