• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - Phoenix Comicon: January 23-25, 2009

214 posts in this topic

I totally hear ya. I remember at the Javitts Center over the summer. Todd was there for the All-Star Fan Fest to sign toys.

That same PR manager was there and it was a limit of two books per person. The only difference was that there were NO other comic fans there besides us and one other witness. Truth be told we had a stack of 25-30 books and the other witness had a nice number himself. His PR manager saw this and tried to clamp down on us and we said sure, we will only get 2 at a time. Luckily the line was so short because we were at MLB Fanfest! So we kept getting back at the end of the line (which was pretty short) and getting two books signed at a time. It kind of cracked Todd up to keep on seeing us until he was like "alright, just let me sign the rest of these books" But the moral of the story was that we had to play by the rules. If the line were really long and I could have only gotten two books done I would have resorted to other methods to obtain my sigs rather than breaking rules. I could bribe little kids! Hey kid. I'll give ya 20 bux to stand in line for 1/2hr! I could bribe my friends to come out for the day, or I could REALLY bribe my wife and try to convince her to come to the event. (that might just cost to much! she said she is not going to a con for a looooong time)

anyways tho, sorry to hear you were not able to work out your 50 book deal :(

Chandler,

I agree with your post. Guys, when we all work together, we all benefit more than we would have individually. I've been guilty myself of sneaking in an extra book here and there but don't push it if the lines are crazy and you're being watched like a hawk. And for the love of God, please do not ask for sketches, doodles, etc. during these times. It holds up the line and causes others to miss out (case in point: McFarlane MLB All Star signing) .

Will

Colin

It was simple. You were pushing the issue. And to be honest, I didn't particularly care for it. CGC Witnesses fight an uphill battle because of people who pull stunts just so they can get one more item signed. Or in your case 2. There are rules and they are in place for a reason. When people try to sneak a couple of extra books through, it reflects poorly on our community. I had to tell you to move on not to repremend you but for everyone elses benefit. Because the last thing we need is one person off Todd and then the signing is over with and everyone else is effected by that. I watched the whole thing and the PR Manager did nothing wrong. You were joking around in line trying to be cute and trying to get 4 books signed. Your 2 books were signed and you had to push the issue and when the PR manager asked you to move along, you ignored her, so yes she then reached over to pick up your books, but that was because you would not. So next time you get in a line, just follow the rules and don't try to be cute. Let's all try to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. If we act like professionals and treat the creators with respect, we will earn their respect back. Then the creators will be willing to go out of their way to help us.

Signed by CHANDLER! (stepping down from my soapbox) :sumo:

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Chandler,

let me preface this by saying that I have the utmost respect for you...you have subbed books for me before and I've never had a problem with you (except for a couple of grade drops and subbing my books a couple months late) ....To be honest, you're a pretty cool guy in my book (thumbs u

however, i'm offended by this posting...here are a handful of statements I disagree with:

1) 'I watched the whole thing and the PR Manager did nothing wrong'.

To say that the PR manager (aka the McFarline line nazi) did nothing wrong is totally incorrect. Nobody, and i mean NOBODY, ever has the right to touch my naked books....much less do they have the right to do it twice! I was very polite to her the first time that I asked her not to touch my books, and she ignored that (while she treated everyone in line like cattle instead of people). Condoning this behavior is just plain wrong and you know it, Chandler.

2) 'You were joking around in line trying to be cute'

Well, if you consider making small talk with todd cute, then I guess I'm guilty as charged. Labeling me a cute troublemaker (although true) is uncalled for in this case...but thanks for calling me cute :blush:

3) 'CGC Witnesses fight an uphill battle because of people who pull stunts just so they can get one more item signed'....

or in your case getting about 50 books signed without waiting in line....I didn't see you there at 8:30 AM that morning..how is that following the rules?

4) 'Because the last thing we need is one person off Todd'

Oh come on, I was nowhere even CLOSE to pizzing off Todd...I was in front of him for about 30 seconds max. There was no altercation whatsoever. I began to ask for an extra sig, the PR lady said 'no' and attempted to handle my books again. I stopped her from grabbing my books, and told Todd that it's disrespectful for his employees to handle our books, and that was it...thems are the facts, bub...you know its all true (thumbs u

5) the biggest problem i have with your posting is the following statement:

'just follow the rules and don't try to be cute. Let's all try to be part of the solution and not part of the problem'

Really?

Play by the rules? This is coming from the CGC witness who hoarded extra tickets to have forum members go through the line upwards of four times for them....this action obviously had negative effects on all of us who ACTUALLY PLAYED BY THE RULES AND WAITED IN LINE, and had to wait until the end of the signing to GET our sigs (bc of our late ticket number). I know you at least had Grinder go through the line for you.... I also know of at least 4 people that had 3-5 books signed for them, and you're calling ME out for simply asking for an extra sig?? who in this forum has NEVER asked for an extra sig from an artist??

I did abide by the rules...I waited in line that morning, I came back that evening and waited again...Yes, i asked for another sig, the lady said no and i moved away and waited for my brother to be done...ah yes, and I called out the line nazi for touching my books...

I do find it to be disrespectful for others to touch my books without asking...perhaps you don't, which could be the reason why 2 out of the 5 SS submissions I did through you in May (which you didn't get submitted until August for some reason) had grade drops :shrug:

I also don't appreciate your semi-pompous attitude towards me. I feel that you're treating me as a lesser fan bc I'm half your age, or something. As if I'm some kind of young whippersnapper running across your lawn. In the future, if you feel that I have acted out of place, feel free to call me or send me a PM...falsely accusing me of negative behaviors publicly is no way to act. I take my comics very seriously, and you know this.

In conclusion, let's be fully truthful...You asked me to move along simply because you still had a stack of books you had sent to you that you still needed to be signed (yeah i can spot a stack of books which have been prepped by a witness).

You say 'I had to tell you to move on not to repremend you but for everyone elses benefit'...who's benefit??? Your clients' benefit, perhaps. I didn't 'hold up the line' whatsoever, and in fact there were only two people left in line behind me (not including my brother). I got my books signed fourth to last! The fact is, you asked me to 'move along' because you were running out of time to get your books signed because you couldn't make the proper signing arrangements. I understood this, and obliged.

With all of the above being said, I still have respect for you :) You are a credit to the community, and I honeslty respect your hard work...Being a CGC witness is a tough gig. But being a witness doesn't excuse your poor behavior towards me or your 'public outing' of myself. All I ask is this: Don't attempt to 'call me out' on behaviors that you yourself are guilty of as well (on a much larger scale) and please stop defending the mishandling of comics by a power-hungy line nazi...that's both hypocritical and ridiculous to the point of being offensive.

i heart u with all of my heart, chandler (thumbs u

-end rant

I think this is the kind of message that would have been better suited in a PM.

as was his previous public message to me in this thread...he wanted to go public, and I was tired of holding my thoughts about it privately. I was almost infuriated, if you couldn't tell.

What good does it do the boards if behaviors like this aren't acted upon? Just because Chandler is a witness doesn't give him immunity on the boards, and I think my response was appropriate.

I do find it to be disrespectful for others to touch my books without asking...perhaps you don't, which could be the reason why 2 out of the 5 SS submissions I did through you in May (which you didn't get submitted until August for some reason) had grade drops :shrug:

We all know them are the risk when you send in a book for SS or atleast I thought we did.

BTW-I've never had a grade drop from Chandler.

We all know them are the risk when you send in a book for SS or atleast I thought we did.

I'm well aware of the risk...i carefully choose ANY book that i crack out of a slab to get SSd...i don't crack out soft 9.8s. I actually cracked said books out of their slabs myself, and KNOW that they were easily in 9.8 condition when i left them to Chandler ( i was present at the signing, there was no shipping of the books, except by chandler to CGC)....but none of this is the point.

The point of the quoted statement is in reference to the fact that PR managers have no right to handle our books...Chandler doesn't seem to have a problem with this.

Collin, I can totally understand being frustrated and I won't get into judging the conversation. I would suggest revising some of HOW you said some things though as they could potentially land you in some hot water with the higher ups.

Just some friendly advice...

I'm well aware of the risk...i carefully choose ANY book that i crack out of a slab to get SSd...i don't crack out soft 9.8s. I actually cracked said books out of their slabs myself, and KNOW that they were easily in 9.8 condition when i left them to Chandler ( i was present at the signing, there was no shipping of the books, except by chandler to CGC)....but none of this is the point.

Then why bring it up?

What was the grade drop if you don't mind me asking?

Then why bring it up?

What was the grade drop if you don't mind me asking?

you brought it up by suggesting that i didn't know the risk of dropping a grade when de-slabbing a book to get it SSd.

the point of my above statement to chandler is clearly written in the last paragraph...

Collin, I can totally understand being frustrated and I won't get into judging the conversation. I would suggest revising some of HOW you said some things though as they could potentially land you in some hot water with the higher ups.

Just some friendly advice...

duly-noted, and taken care of :) thanks mac-man (thumbs u

well...

wow...

Just a few random thoughts from me...

First off, I truly do not think trying to get an extra signature is something that no witness has ever tried, nor any average signature fan (raw or slabbed). I have done it plenty of times and when it doesnt happen, oh well, never hurts to try and many times it is not a big deal as it is up to the creator to sign or not.

I think everyone is going after the golden ring one way or the other, whether it is 50 books, 80 books or 4 books, everyone was hoping they could get everything signed and some people probably had a lot on the line for this one. Tensions run high, but I really find it hard to believe that Collin would even remotely be the reason why they bolted out of there.

We also need to remember, there are 2 sides to every story and 2 sides to SS!

One side, the witness, who is making this their job. The other is the average fan who would like to get their book signed for their collection or to trade/sell, what have you in an aftermarket situation, having someone watch as the book is signed. I would be willing to bet everyone was trying as hard as they could, taking whatever tact they could to insure that books were signed to aid in them accomplishing their goals, whatever they may be!

well...

wow...

Just a few random thoughts from me...

First off, I truly do not think trying to get an extra signature is something that no witness has ever tried, nor any average signature fan (raw or slabbed). I have done it plenty of times and when it doesnt happen, oh well, never hurts to try and many times it is not a big deal as it is up to the creator to sign or not.

I think everyone is going after the golden ring one way or the other, whether it is 50 books, 80 books or 4 books, everyone was hoping they could get everything signed and some people probably had a lot on the line for this one. Tensions run high, but I really find it hard to believe that Collin would even remotely be the reason why they bolted out of there.

We also need to remember, there are 2 sides to every story and 2 sides to SS!

One side, the witness, who is making this their job. The other is the average fan who would like to get their book signed for their collection or to trade/sell, what have you in an aftermarket situation, having someone watch as the book is signed. I would be willing to bet everyone was trying as hard as they could, taking whatever tact they could to insure that books were signed to aid in them accomplishing their goals, whatever they may be!

A very balanced outlook, JJ. Well-communicated and judicious. :golfclap:

Sooo...how much is PROOF art going to cost me? :grin:

The PROOF art is so reasonable you will fall over...

Riley is a really really cool guy and a definite up and comer in the business. We are currently discussing prints and possibly even a sketch variant down the road (everything needs to be approved by the writer also of course!)

Riley is sending me a bunch of pages this week and I will go from there. Of course, if anyone wants something in particular...

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Lots of pages and it will be easy for me to ask him!

Thanks for the interest guys, I know I am excited for pages/covers also!

JJ