• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any tips for someone who wants to break into marvel/dc as writer/artist?

19 posts in this topic

This would be in 5 years,the future. please don`t suggest like the Kubert School as I have a family and wouldn`t uproot them,I am more interested as a artist but will take writing info as well.This would also make a good thread to help other wannabee CGC board members who are also interested in writing/drawing comic books.

For art, look into your local colleges and see if they offer courses in 'sequential art'. I'd also recommend getting handy with Photoshop. For writing, I recommend Syd Field's 'Screenplay: the foundations of screenwriting', McCloud's 'Understanding Comics' and any number of other comic-writing guides you can find on Amazon, like 'the DC comics guide to writing comics', etc. Peter David wrote a really nifty one.

Yeah, I'm going to launch a webcomic, how could you tell? :P

One way is starting small with local cons and making your way up to the bigger cons, at least that's what I'm doing. Also it would really help if you knew someone. Attending cons is one way to achieve this. Of course, this is assuming you already know how to write/draw.

first thing, start drawing ALL THE TIME! Draw from life. Draw people standing around. Draw from models. Draw objects. Study lighting and anatomy. Study comics by artists you like for layots, panel structure, pacing, even balloon placement.

Keep practicing. Think of all this work as exposing and stripping away your bad habits to expose your UNIQUE STYLE WITHIN. DC and Marvel want all of the following: an exciting personal style; page layout sense; quick and professional hard workers who will meet a deadline, They also are prone to hire people they know socially since they are bombarded with aspiring talent at cons so go find and meet some pros.

good luck. Dont quit your day job.

Or, just go ahead and publish your own comics. No one can stop you!

first thing, start drawing ALL THE TIME! Draw from life. Draw people standing around. Draw from models. Draw objects. Study lighting and anatomy. Study comics by artists you like for layots, panel structure, pacing, even balloon placement.

Keep practicing. Think of all this work as exposing and stripping away your bad habits to expose your UNIQUE STYLE WITHIN. DC and Marvel want all of the following: an exciting personal style; page layout sense; quick and professional hard workers who will meet a deadline, They also are prone to hire people they know socially since they are bombarded with aspiring talent at cons so go find and meet some pros.

good luck. Dont quit your day job.

Or, just go ahead and publish your own comics. No one can stop you!

I won`t quit my day job,I could see myself doing a more digital online type of comic.I will tread slowly. knowledge is power. thanks for all the good advice everybody.

Many of us could probably take a quick look at your artwork and see if you have the raw potential to be a comic book artist. (Even if it's cartoony or stylized.)

Be sure how to draw wrists, ankles, hands and feet.

Oh yah....and never learn how to draw big silver arms or ridiculously large, silver guns.

...and stay away from putting pouches on your characters.

Life drawing. then some more life drawing. Then a little more life drawing.

Then draw some more.

Then draw some more.

Maybe read Comics and Sequential Art and the Scott McCloud books at some point in there as well...

Be sure how to draw wrists, ankles, hands and feet.

Oh yah....and never learn how to draw big silver arms or ridiculously large, silver guns.

...and stay away from putting pouches on your characters.

Pouches :cloud9: