• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE DARK KNIGHT sells 13.5 million DVDs, Eddie Murphy out as Riddler

23 posts in this topic

Apparently TDK sold 13.5 million DVDs the first week.

Murphy is also out as the Riddler (thank God), a move like that would start to signal the end again for this franchise.

=============================================

Eddie Murphy won’t be playing The Riddler

Warner Bros. president says the priority right now is the storyline

Kevork Djansezian / AP file Riddle me this? Who will be playing the next Batman villain. Not Eddie Murphy.

updated 1:54 p.m. ET, Thurs., Dec. 18, 2008

Rumors have run wild on who will play the villain or villains in the next Batman movie, but it looks like Eddie Murphy won’t be one of them.

Murphy had been rumored to play the Riddler in the “Dark Knight” sequel, but his rep tells Access Hollywood it’s “not true.”

Other reports have cast both Rachel Weisz and Angelina Jolie as Catwoman, Johnny Depp also as the Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin in the sequel to the box office smash. The Depp and Hoffman rumor began with none other than series star Michael Caine, who plays Bruce Wayne’s butler, Alfred, but Hoffman himself denied it to MTV News.

“No one has talked to me about it ever — never,” he said.

Meanwhile, Alan Horn, the president of Warner Bros., told entertainment site Collider.com on Thursday that the storyline is the project’s main priority right now.

“The story is everything,” Horn told the site. “We’ve been talking to (director) Chris Nolan and what we have to do is get him in the right place and have him tell us what he thinks the notion might be for a great story, but Chris did a great job and we’d love to have him come back and do another one… we are going to be respectful of his timing and we want to get it right.”

But while Batman waits in the wings, some other DC heroes could hit the silver screen soon. Horn said Green Lantern is the “best guess,” but he’d like to see the Man of Steel back as well.

“We’re very anxious to bring Superman back also,” he said. “Probably in the next couple of years.”

In the meantime, fans still can’t get enough of “The Dark Knight” — it sold a staggering 13.5 million copies worldwide on Blu-Ray and DVD in its first week of release, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Dark Knight Blu-ray Shatters All Records

Source: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group December 16, 2008

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group has released the following announcement stating that The Dark Knight has sold over 1.7 million Blu-ray Discs worldwide, including over 1 million domestically:

"The Dark Knight" took the world by storm on Blu-ray and DVD, breaking records for 2008. The blockbuster hit from acclaimed director Christopher Nolan became an instant must-own classic with Blu-ray sales of over 1.7 million units and total DVD and Blu-ray sales of 13.5 million worldwide*, including consumer sales and rental sales, in one week. Brisk consumer sales – totaling over 10 million with one week of sales reported - are expected to continue through the holiday season. "The Dark Knight" is the best selling Blu-ray title in history and will become the best selling 2008 title overall this week. The response to the digital copy offering included on the Blu-ray and Special Edition DVD has been remarkable with the number of consumers activating their digital copies approaching 300,000. "The Dark Knight" is already the number one movie for the year on the iTunes 2008 Chart.

"The Dark Knight" marks the first time that a major feature film has been shot in part using IMAX® cameras, marking a revolutionary integration of film formats. "The Dark Knight"t Blu-ray disc takes advantage of the marriage of IMAX® and 35mm formats by using the hybrid master to replicate the unique theatrical experience. The IMAX scenes are also included on the 2-disc Special Edition as bonus materials.

"The Dark Knight" comes from Academy Award® nominated filmmaker Christopher Nolan ("Batman Begins," "The Prestige," "Memento"), and features commanding performances from Christian Bale ("Batman Begins," "3:10 to Yuma," "The Prestige"), Academy Award® Winner Michael Caine ("The Cider House Rules," "Children of Men"), Academy Award® Nominee Heath Ledger ("Brokeback Mountain"), Gary Oldman ("Hannibal," "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"), Aaron Eckhart ("Thank You For Smoking," "No Reservations"), Maggie Gyllenhaal ("Stranger Than Fiction," "World Trade Center") and Academy Award® Winner Morgan Freeman ("Million Dollar Baby," "Wanted").

* The Dark Knight figures included sales data from US, UK, Canada, Japan, Benelux and Australia

Eddie Murphy won’t be playing The Riddler

:applause:

Jim Carrey should reprise the role...he plays the nut job well! :insane:

You mean good right, although I am a Carrey fan, he has never played a god role yet. :baiting:

OH wait....

(what's funny is that I forgot about Bruce Almighty)

But ditto, Carrey was good as riddler.

Who the hell would have believed that news about Eddie in the first place (shrug)

they don't need big names, just good characters and writing. I personally think they should make egg head the next villain and have seanfingh star.

none of these figures surprise me...

TDK is the best comic book movie that

has ever been created.

And this comes from a Marvel fan that has less than

20% DC's in his collection.

(worship)

And I thought Iron Man was better...coming from a DC with with less than 20% Marvel's in his collection lol

none of these figures surprise me...

TDK is the best comic book movie that

has ever been created.

(worship)

lol No way nerf - I liked Batman begins even better than TDK. Don't even get me started on the original Superman. The more you watch TDK the more you realize how corny Batman's scratchy deep voice is. Plus it's way too long. TDK is the best comic book movie of 2008, and a forgettable film.