• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men #1...help me spot the resto

53 posts in this topic

A guy here locally is trying to sell his X-Men #1 through some ads. He claims it is a 6.5/7.0 with no resto but didnt have a pic. He just wanted me to drive out, take a look and make an offer. He was asking $2,000. Well, today he finally sends me a pic. Check it out! I have never seen such blatant trimming. Can those of you with a trained eye see anything else I might have missed? What is a 6.0/7.0 restored going for these days anyway?

Thanks

trimmedX-Men1.jpg

That's neither 6.5, nor 7.0. More in the 4.0/5.0 area.

I wouldn't give more than $150, personally. That's pretty hacked. :sumo:

Looks 4.5.

I'm not so sure about it being trimmed. The top edge is cut much lower into the art but there's a lot more bottom art than in some copies. The wear in the corners do not appear to suggest it was trimmed. However, the picture doesn't provide enough perspective to discern for certain. You'd be best off see the book in person to check for trimming.

szelim,

I see what you are saying about the bottom art. Comparing it to my #1 the bottom of his seems to have more showing than mine. But what about that right edge? The Iceman's whole finger shows in my book, and most of it is gone in his.

Yeah, I don't know if I want to waste my time checking a book that so obviously has had something done. On the flip side, I don't know enough about resto to say for sure one way or another even if I had the book in hand. I know how to look for bleed though and glue and stuff, but I'm no expert. I don't think this guy would take a couple of hundred for it anyway.

szelim,

I see what you are saying about the bottom art. Comparing it to my #1 the bottom of his seems to have more showing than mine. But what about that right edge? The Iceman's whole finger shows in my book, and most of it is gone in his.

Again it is impossible to say for sure by just looking at a picture but as I see it there is sufficient miswrap to account for the right edge missing some art, and the weird angle or cut of the book(and backing board) might be nothing more then a bowed, fish eyed effect as a result of how he took thr picture. I have noticed this effect if you pull back too far when you have the camera on macro mode.

But the main thing is the book is way overgraded and way overpriced. If you are really in the market for a decent grade X Men 1 I would pass unless he comes way down on price.

And fwiw I dont see any easily spotted CT or other resto on the book that stands out.

szelim,

You can't judge trimming by the location of the art in relation to the edges. Cheap mass produced comics vary quite a bit.

I would think anywhere in the $575 - $675 area is a good range for this book. IF it is resto. free. If it has been trimmed. I wouldn't go past $200 top's. Grade wise 4.0 IMHO

$575 - $675 for a 4.0 VG unrestored X-men #1 ?

I would buy them all day at that price.

Expect around the 1K mark for a raw resto free in 4.0.

$575 - $675 will get you a decent 2.5, maybe a 3.0 if you are lucky.

But I agree with most posters that I would stay away from this particular book, but I'd pay $300 for this one :grin:

I know of two that are raw in the 4.0 range. Either book can be mine for $650.00 I have a nice 7.0 that is good enough for me. I have never submitted a book to The CGC. Never will either. I have bought/own slabbed CGC book's though.

If they are both correctly graded I'll take em both and am even willing to give you a finder's fee...

I just signed up here to kill some time on a slow work day and laughed @ this post...

I inquired on the same comic ~ a month ago, and came to the same trim conclusion from his pics. There's other posts about the same comic here as well, that show some other sketchy points.

Seller is still listing it on CL with rather ambiguous listings, and giving the hard sell on inquiry.... not even worth a lowball IMO.

I just signed up here to kill some time on a slow work day and laughed @ this post...

I inquired on the same comic ~ a month ago, and came to the same trim conclusion from his pics. There's other posts about the same comic here as well, that show some other sketchy points.

Seller is still listing it on CL with rather ambiguous listings, and giving the hard sell on inquiry.... not even worth a lowball IMO.

Welcome to the boards!

-Rob-

Mikus,

You from Illinois also? I looked for the listing the other day on Craigslist and I didn't see it there anymore. I think maybe he gave up.

No, this book looks 3.5 at best. That other book was really nice.

This guy was advertising on Craigslist for months with the #1 and a few other Golden Age books (plastic-man and Police Comics) He thought he had $2,000+ worth of comics. I think he slowly realized he had nowhere near that.

Mikus is right, he was very pushy about selling them. E-mailed me multiple times seeing if I was interested.