• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Seperated from my wife and I need some venting!

148 posts in this topic

My ex of over 7 years (and the Mother of my 2 year old) and I broke up a little over a year ago.

She was way more hot-headed than I (though nowhere near crazy) and after many attempts to get things back on track, we parted ways (and she actually started the ball rolling).

I think we have a much better relationship now then before. Being away from her has let me become myself more. As well, as we both have only the best interests for our son at heart, it makes it easy to deal with all of those things that end up being problems for most others in the same situation.

A couple of things (and take 'em or leave 'em):

-Don't argue over stuff (besides your own personal comics, of course).

-Never let things get between you and the kid.

-Get out of the house as fast as you can. Mental health will suffer more the longer you're there.

-Remember that you're free when she pisses you off.

Good luck with all this stuff!

I agree. Best thing that ever happened to me was my first divorce.

Life does go on and it gets better. Your daughter will always be your daugther unless you choose to distance yourself from her.

It sounds like a lot of comic collectors have gone through a divorce. Maybe its the crazy rock-star life style we lead!!

It sounds like a lot of comic collectors have gone through a divorce. Maybe its the crazy rock-star life style we lead!!

So many women throw themselves at us. We pretty much get our pick of the litter. :shy:

Venting ... yup whatever works !

:(

So sorry to hear you have to go through this. We all have our moments when we doubt our decisions especially when you see first hand how it rocks the foundation of everything your daughter knows and loves. But just keep reminding yourself why you left and keep the focus on building a better - happier life for yourself and your daughter. She will need you and your love more than ever over the next few months.

And try with what little energy you have left to be gentle but firm with your wife. Don't get mean it really doesn't help even disguised as "honesty". Talk in terms of what you need and just gently keep moving forward. I have never, not even once, said anything negative about my ex-husband in front of his children. He is a big part of who they are and they need to love him in order to be able to love themselves. The same will apply to your daughter and her Mom.

Hopefully you have family and friends who can listen and support you and your daughter as things move forward. I am very lucky to have lots of both plus a lovely man in my life who has also been through hell so he understands and we support each other through the tough times.

One day at a time ...

:wishluck:

Venting ... yup whatever works !

:(

So sorry to hear you have to go through this. We all have our moments when we doubt our decisions especially when you see first hand how it rocks the foundation of everything your daughter knows and loves. But just keep reminding yourself why you left and keep the focus on building a better - happier life for yourself and your daughter. She will need you and your love more than ever over the next few months.

And try with what little energy you have left to be gentle but firm with your wife. Don't get mean it really doesn't help even disguised as "honesty". Talk in terms of what you need and just gently keep moving forward. I have never, not even once, said anything negative about my ex-husband in front of his children. He is a big part of who they are and they need to love him in order to be able to love themselves. The same will apply to your daughter and her Mom.

Hopefully you have family and friends who can listen and support you and your daughter as things move forward. I am very lucky to have lots of both plus a lovely man in my life who has also been through hell so he understands and we support each other through the tough times.

One day at a time ...

:wishluck:

Forgot to add ... enjoy your new found freedom !! Party like a ROCK STAR !!

:headbang:

lol at the Dad & Son reference. I know that personally. Happened to me with the name in bed one night. Oy!

But anyway, I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I don't know you or the situation so I am not going to judge. It sounds like you are happier now and hopefully she will be too.

All I can tell you is that when everything was over for me, it was tough to get through at the beginning. But looking back at it all now, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. My life has changed so much since then. Life is better and I met a wonderful woman. We were having dinner the other night and she was proding me about my divorce. I finally opened up to her about it all and told her what happened. She felt bad about it but I told her that I never would have met her if my ex had stayed. Everything happens for a reason and I am blessed in my life now.

Take your time, enjoy your life, and lean on friends and family if need be.

James

I remember going through some of the same feelings when I contemplated divorce in my 1st marriage. I loved the kids (both boys) but couldn't stand living with my wife (now ex-wife) any longer. I was worried about how it would affect them but finally decided their life and mine would be much better if I divorced her. So I followed through with it and the divorce was finalized in early 1996.

Three years later I met the TRUE love of my life and we were married in 2000. We are still married, get along great and I love her to death. She even supports my comic collecting even though she reminds me that I go overboard here and there. :whistle:

So there still is hope that a better woman will appear in your future. Just be yourself and everything will hopefully fall into place.

I wish you all the best. Marriage can be very difficult. I've been married for almost 7 years now (wow my wedding anniversary is in two weeks... oops!).

Life goes on, while life is difficult now, things will get better for you. As almost always seems to be the case. Hopefully you can maintain the friendship to an extent otherwise the headache might not end...

Thanks guys (and sexy lady :blush:).

I was just over checking out an apartment and they want a year lease and that just sounds like a long time but I know it will go quick. It all is just sounding so final and I'm banging back in forth between outright joy and sadness over the whole thing. Life will be better - hopefully for everyone!

Last week Titanic was on TV and I decided to watch it for the second time. I refused to watch it in the theatre when it came out back in 1997 when it was out. Ok, tongue in cheek here, but everything I know about women I learned from watching this movie.

Women like to think they prefer true love, over riches.

Women like the artist type.

Women like men that can dance.

Women like men that are adventurous.

Women like men that sacrifice everything for them (even their lives).

Actually... nevermind... I think women just love Leo...

Well, its finally official. After years of fights and "compromises", I couldn't take living with a mother at best and a enemy at worse. As of Friday, I'm out of the house and things are moving along. I wanted to list a couple things that were red flags:

1. I enjoyed reading comics more than spending time with her. Way more!

2. Worked extra hours at work since it meant less time with her.

3. Wished Santa went after her rather than Grandma.

4. She called me Dad and Son one night in bed. Does that guy get around or what?

I'm pretty broken up about it all since it was a ten year marriage and we have a 5 year old daughter but it will all work out for the best. And thanks for letting me vent/joke a little on the boards.

I feel for you since I'm about onto my second marriage with the same person. She does think jonjesper is trying to steal me away, but I keep telling her he's too short and i don't like soul patches, i'm more of a seanfingh type of person, rich lawyer, not lazy non package sending teacher.

Anyhow, it will all get better with time 1cool, enjoy you daughter while she's young

on the other hand except for the few people posting here, the others lurkers are probably dateless nerd wagons who don't have a clue what you're talking about 1cool

lol at the Dad & Son reference. I know that personally. Happened to me with the name in bed one night. Oy!

But anyway, I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I don't know you or the situation so I am not going to judge. It sounds like you are happier now and hopefully she will be too.

All I can tell you is that when everything was over for me, it was tough to get through at the beginning. But looking back at it all now, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. My life has changed so much since then. Life is better and I met a wonderful woman. We were having dinner the other night and she was proding me about my divorce. I finally opened up to her about it all and told her what happened. She felt bad about it but I told her that I never would have met her if my ex had stayed. Everything happens for a reason and I am blessed in my life now.

James

You were stronger than probably 99% of people in a similar situation James. glad you are still posting here.

Well, its finally official. After years of fights and "compromises", I couldn't take living with a mother at best and a enemy at worse. As of Friday, I'm out of the house and things are moving along. I wanted to list a couple things that were red flags:

1. I enjoyed reading comics more than spending time with her. Way more!

2. Worked extra hours at work since it meant less time with her.

3. Wished Santa went after her rather than Grandma.

4. She called me Dad and Son one night in bed. Does that guy get around or what?

I'm pretty broken up about it all since it was a ten year marriage and we have a 5 year old daughter but it will all work out for the best. And thanks for letting me vent/joke a little on the boards.

I feel for you since I'm about onto my second marriage with the same person. She does think jonjesper is trying to steal me away, but I keep telling her he's too short and i don't like soul patches, i'm more of a seanfingh type of person, rich lawyer, not lazy non package sending teacher.

Anyhow, it will all get better with time 1cool, enjoy you daughter while she's young

:eek: to the infinite power. You are a dork, AC.

James

You were stronger than probably 99% of people in a similar situation James. glad you are still posting here.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger, Anthony.