• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to discuss San Diego Comicon 2009?

165 posts in this topic

That sucked. Got in, and everything inside a 5 mile radius is sold out. Good thing I got the Best Western that I got, months ago. Guess I'm driving in each day. Anyone have SDCC parking advice?

Update: I noticed that the Quality Inn, 2 miles away, was open. It was closer than my Best Western I had reserved months ago, but if I have to drive, what's 3 more miles? Now if they had a shuttle, I would consider them. It didn't say anywhere, so I called. The sales manager was very nice, and confirmed that the rate on the SDCC site included a free breakfast, as well as a complimentary shuttle to and from the convention center.

So I booked it ($199), but was only able to get Wed, Thur, and Sat. So I called him back (and was VERY polite) and he offered to book me Friday night at the same rate (which the SDCC site showed as booked). So it's not walking distance, but at least they offer a shuttle, and I don't have to drive and park each day. And it's close enough, we can cab it home after the CGC Forum Dinner (and many drinks). :banana:

Yeah, I was trying to help someone get a hotel room through the SDCC block o' rooms. Got in at 9, made it through a few screens, but kept getting put in the queue, and gave up around 9:45 or so. By the time the screen loaded again, everything close by was sold out.

Parking advice to anyone else: If you want to park underneath the convention center, you have to get there EARLY. (And, for Saturday, I actually recommend 5 or 6 am as the cutoff time) I love parking underneath, as I use the car as my mobile storage locker. (So, yes, if you're going to loot my car, wait 'til Sunday) :) The cutoff time seems to get earlier every day. Thursday and Friday, if I get there by 8 am or so, I get lucky. (well, Friday maybe 7 am) Sunday, 7 am seems to be ok.

Now, there is parking in downtown near the convention center, but that is hit or miss, and is $15-20 while convention center is still $8. The best chance is the new parking garage to the south of the convention center, which should also be $8. I'm not sure, with the Hilton being open, how that garage will be affected, but I think last year, I got one of the very last spots on Friday at 8:30 am. (since I wasn't early enough to get underneath the convention center)

I've heard of people that leave their cars in the underground parking garage overnight. I'm too nervous to do that, not so much for the car but for all the cool stuff inside it. :) If your hotel is within walking distance or is on the shuttle route, I would leave the car at your hotel. If you got a hotel in the Mission Valley area, there is a trolley that runs right to the convention center, so I would use that. I stay in Mission Valley, so if I know I can't find parking, and I'm not hauling a bunch of comics to get signed, I take the trolley into downtown to the convention center.

Joel

That booking process this morning sucked azz. I had three browsers fired up (IE, Firefox and Chrome) with multiple windows going. Each time I thought I had a room, I either got an error or it became full all of a sudden.

Don't know if I'm lucky or not, but I got the Hyatt.

My wife surprised me this morning for my birthday with hotel accomodations for the July SD Con. I tried to go to their website to buy a multi-day pass (Thu, Fri, and Sat) but it looks like I can only buy one pass for only ONE day??? Is this the case? Please advise 'cause if that is the case, I'm not going to fly down there just for one day. (shrug)

My wife surprised me this morning for my birthday with hotel accomodations for the July SD Con. I tried to go to their website to buy a multi-day pass (Thu, Fri, and Sat) but it looks like I can only buy one pass for only ONE day??? Is this the case? Please advise 'cause if that is the case, I'm not going to fly down there just for one day. (shrug)

You can only buy one-day passes but you can buy one for every day, so there is no reason to stay home. Enjoy the nice present.

You can only buy one-day passes but you can buy one for every day, so there is no reason to stay home. Enjoy the nice present.

(thumbs u :banana:

I booked my room 9 months ago to avoid getting shut out (like last year). I still got a good rate since I pre-paid in advance and am only 5 blocks away.

Anyone who got a hotel via the show organizers lucked out since the rooms are discounted from their normal rates.

OT - Is the in and out burger chain within walking distance or will I have to catch a cab or pedi-cab? I'm usually pigging out on fish tacos when in town but have heard great things about their burgers. If it's too far out of the way, I'll stick with my fish tacos.

I can't wait.

:banana:

Cheers!

N

If you want In 'N Out, you'll have to catch a cab. There are 3 that are about 10 minutes away from downtown, but none in the downtown area that I know about (plus I checked the website)

The Hyatt is an excellent score, it is one of the closest hotels, and if you want to see basically 80% of the talent at the show, you'll find them at the Hyatt's 2 bars at night eventually. Most people stop by or stay at the Hyatt bars 'til they close, just don't ask for an autograph. :)

Joel

I booked my room 9 months ago to avoid getting shut out (like last year). I still got a good rate since I pre-paid in advance and am only 5 blocks away.

Anyone who got a hotel via the show organizers lucked out since the rooms are discounted from their normal rates.

OT - Is the in and out burger chain within walking distance or will I have to catch a cab or pedi-cab? I'm usually pigging out on fish tacos when in town but have heard great things about their burgers. If it's too far out of the way, I'll stick with my fish tacos.

I can't wait.

Cheers!

N

In and Out is overrated :sick:

Stick with the Fish Tacos or L&L Barbecue

I can't wait.

Cheers!

N

Stick with the Fish Tacos or L&L Barbecue

BURN THE WITCH. Blasphemy.

(thumbs u I agree. I know burgers, and I don't see what's so special about In N Out. I'm all for trying it out, if you're not from the West, but I definitely think everyone just buys into the hype. It tastes like a burger. Big whoop.