• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Silver Age comics have the greatest nostalgic value for you?

33 posts in this topic

Picked up FF #50 for six cents at a second hand book store. I had never read anything but Archies before. What a cover, what a story, I was absolutely FF mad, hooked for life on sonics. I can still remember reading that comic for the first time. Galactus considering us as we would think of an ant, blew my 12 year old mind.

I also remember my first bulk FF buy. Met a young chinese guy who had a bunch of early FFs. The following Saturday I was on the bus to the worst area of town and I was frankly a little scared. Found his house, went inside and happily paid him the grand sum of .25 per book for FF 15, 18, 20, 27, 28, 29, 30, 36, 39, 42, 43, 46 and 47. All were low grade with thick black felt pen on each cover and lots of assorted damage but they were beautiful to me. I will never forget reading those books on the bus home, heaven.

That's a great story! :headbang:

#1 Ditko Spideys...I have 3 brothers and I was so into Spidey Peter Parker actually felt like a 4th brother...

#2 Kirby FF...had a lot of debates as a kid as to which was the better, Spidey or FF...sortof like the Stones vs the Beatles...pretty much a tie... :headbang:

I think this was my first silver comic. For the longest time this was the oldest book I owned. I've had this book for almost 30 years and it's been in the same shape - slightly brittle pages and raggedy. I always thought that this is the way most silver comics would display until I came to the boards. :makepoint:

TTS42.jpg

It would probably have to be this one....my Mom brought home a stack of books from a Church Bazaar that I was too lazy to go to. She said there was a room FULL of comics :frustrated: ....I still think about the FF # 1 That I KNOW must have been in there lol .It was my first FF back issue :cloud9: This particular copy is also nostalgic...used to belong to my friend Harry a.k.a. Burntboy.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF35SL.jpg

When i was about 4 (1976 ish) i woke up and came downstairs to fing my Dad with all his comics in piles on the floor. i wasnt allowed to touch them of course.

the one book that stands out from this pile was Dr. Strange 169. i still remember seeing that on top of one of the piles.

when i was 14 my dad passed the books onto me. i would spend hours just looking at the covers and one of my favourites is TOS40.

the silver books were so different to the new ones i was buying. they still fascinate me as much as they did when i was four and fourteen :cloud9:

Ok, while not this particular copy :insane:, but this book did it all for me when I read it for the first time.

It a depth and scope that left a definable impression! Lee, and Buscema hot the perfect note, with this indelible story of the forlorn Surfer.

SS-4-98JWslobodian.jpg

Met a young chinese guy who had a bunch of early FFs. The following Saturday I was on the bus to the worst area of town and I was frankly a little scared.

I didn't realize Edmonton could have a really bad area of town in those days.

I also met a really cute Italian girl that I spent quite a bit of time with

I was 10 or so.

Did you play doctor?

Even though I was only born in 1969, because I like war comics there has always been a bit of an emotional tug towards the great war books of the silver age.

Many, many years ago I saw an image of G.I. Combat #87, the issue with the first appearance of the haunted tank. It was a black and white, postage stamp size shot (probably saw it in Overstreet or a fandom mag.) Anyway, I fell in love not so much with the book, but the IDEA of the book.

When I got back into comics nine years ago, the first thing I did was look that book up on ebay. There was a tattered copy that was selling for (yikes!) $95!!!!! Little did I realize that comics had gotten expensive.

At any rate, a nice copy of that book did come my way, eventually... :cloud9:

GIC87AF.jpg

Any of the books in the Origins and Son of Origins paperbacks have nostalgic appeal to me.

In addition, Fantastic Four 48-50 remind me of the wonder I experienced as a young kid reading silver age comics for the first time. Easily my favorite silver age comics.

Good Call! Loved the stories in Origins and Son of Origins... :cloud9:

13_f.jpg

This wasnt my first silver age Spider-man but i do remember this like is was yesterday.

Me and my girlfriend at the time took my parents car without asking(i was 17 at the time 1986) and drove to Toronto about 2 hours away for a small con. No artist just vendors about 30-40 in a small hall. I was going with the intent to pick up some low number x-men and spider-man(was a X-men freak at that time). I had in my pack some old Batman (in the 100's) and some double of other stuff and about $500 (about month pay). Walk in the door and down the stairs and there it was at the very first booth on the wall with a tag for $550. After wiping the drool from my mouth we continued on through the hall checking out other vendors. I pick up ASM 122 and some other book on trade. I was leaving and the book was still there and my girlfriend said why dont I get it. Well she didnt have to ask twice I went and talked to the guy and told him i had about $275 dollars and some batman($130 worth) to trade for it. He looked at the batmans and said sure. I was on cloud nine. i just stood there and looked at it for what seemed to be forever. If she hadnt said to get it i still to this day probably would own it yet.

And that my most rememberable SA comic. Oh and then there was the time I got my ASM 13-15 for $600 but that will be for a different day.

Met a young chinese guy who had a bunch of early FFs. The following Saturday I was on the bus to the worst area of town and I was frankly a little scared.

I didn't realize Edmonton could have a really bad area of town in those days.

It certainly seemed scary at the time. I was only 12 years old and had never really been in chinatown before. Everyone in the house spoke Chinese except the kid I bought the comics from and I was definately out of my element. Compared to the large population of homeless, drug addicted zombies Edmonton and most other cities have now Edmonton was pretty tame. The roughest place I've ever seen is Hastings street in Vancouver. They have a huge problem there.

I was too young to have bought or read an SA book from the newsstand, so I discovered SA comics through 1970s reprints.

The Marvel story that really stood out for me was the Fantastic Four story with Daredevil and Dr. Doom, where Ben Grimm had to be turned back into the Thing in order to defeat Dr. Doom. I read it in a Marvel Triple Action or some 70s reprint series, and I can still remember it vividly 35 years later.

The DC story that really stood out for me was the JLA/JSA Earth 3 villains cross-over story from JLA 29-30, which I read as a reprint in a JLA 100 page issue. I`ve never managed to acquire a suitably high grade #29, but I`ve owned several high grade copies of #30, this being my current copy.

JLA30.jpg

I loved that book when I was a kid.I must have read it over 50 times!