• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,699 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! Sad news as I might have to sell my golden ticket here. My question to you guys is what do you think this copy is worth. I would just look at GPA and past auctions and price myself but because it has a special circumstance (notes) I wanted your guys opinion.

Its a beautiful 7.0 on the outside

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

TMNT170B_zps4336d08e.jpg

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Its incomplete, so $500 tops.

Hey everyone! Sad news as I might have to sell my golden ticket here. My question to you guys is what do you think this copy is worth. I would just look at GPA and past auctions and price myself but because it has a special circumstance (notes) I wanted your guys opinion.

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

TMNT170B_zps4336d08e.jpg

I'll take it for $500 if that's really the FMV.

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

TMNT170B_zps4336d08e.jpg

Yeah, worth quite a bit more than that for sure because I would pay a lot more than $500 for the book.

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

TMNT170B_zps4336d08e.jpg

Well pieces missing from 5 internal pages that affects the story, so that should significantly impact value. Normal 7.0 is around $2,750 (+/- $500 in this market). I could be wrong but $500 seems fair.

Personally I recommend getting it restored to try for a 9.4 or better and the PLOD value could be as much as $2,000....

Just my 2c

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

TMNT170B_zps4336d08e.jpg

Yeah, worth quite a bit more than that for sure because I would pay a lot more than $500 for the book.

Really, for an incomplete book?

What would you pay then? He is going to sell it, make him am offer for "a lot more than that."

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

TMNT170B_zps4336d08e.jpg

Really, for an incomplete book?

What would you pay then?

I'm not sure to be honest, I can;t see what the third word is in the description is(I think it says torn) and I would want to know what the actual damage to the book is if possible. C/OW is a bit of a detractor as well.

It is a tough book to price but I would probably be comfortable buying the book in the $1k range give or take.

Try putting it on Ebay for 99 cents with no reserve :insane:

I'm pretty sure it would go over $500 there. Despite the torn pages, it still presents well. I would guess it would go for at least $900. After all, a TMNT #1 under $1k is not easy to find, so someone(s), thinking it might be their only chance to get a "cheap" one, may drive the price up.

Edited by spracknetch23

It says "torn out."

I am surprised that someone would pay $1,000 for pieces missing that affect the story but more power to you.

You can get a 5.0ish or a raw complete book for a $1,000...

Just part of my personal collecting preferences I guess, but that label/damage is not a "deal killer" to me like it is to some.

It says "torn out."

I am surprised that someone would pay $1,000 for pieces missing that affect the story but more power to you.

You can get a 5.0ish or a raw complete book for a $1,000...

Just part of my personal collecting preferences I guess, but that label/damage is not a "deal killer" to me like it is to some.

Ok, fair enough. I am sure he is open to offers.

I'd like to see the size of the pieces torn from the pages. That being said, I think $750-900 is not unreasonable for it. It presents very well, and since it's slabbed, not looking inside anyway. It will appreciate as time goes by as well, so still a good book to snag.

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

I remember this book.

It was sold to Rmfn33 by Al Stoltz of Basement Comics. I remember talking to Al about the book. The pieces missing are small and barely touch the story panels. To the point he was surprised they graded it Qualified CGC 9.0. (It was originally in a green slab.) In fact he thought they were being too strict, because it does not effect your ability to read the story.

The book was then sent back by Rmfn33 (I believe I'm remembering this correctly) and he requested a blue label instead.

I would be curious to see how CGC would regrade it on a straight submission, instead of a label request change.

I think you guys are way under estimating the value of the book too. It may sell higher raw so buyers can see the damage inside instead of being frightened by the label.

No way it's worth $500. It would sell in less than a minute for that.

Even with the word INCOMPLETE on the label I would guess it would sell in the $1500 to $2000 range. 2c

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

I remember this book.

It was sold to Rmfn33 by Al Stoltz of Basement Comics. I remember talking to Al about the book. The pieces missing are small and barely touch the story panels. To the point he was surprised they graded it Qualified CGC 9.0. (It was originally in a green slab.) In fact he thought they were being too strict, because it does not effect your ability to read the story.

The book was then sent back by Rmfn33 (I believe I'm remembering this correctly) and he requested a blue label instead.

I would be curious to see how CGC would regrade it on a straight submission, instead of a label request change.

I think you guys are way under estimating the value of the book too. It may sell higher raw so buyers can see the damage inside instead of being frightened by the label.

Even with the word INCOMPLETE on the label I would guess it would sell in the $1500 to $2000 range. 2c

(shrug)

I guess we will see when they post the book for sale. Either here or on eBay, hopefully the results get reported.

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

I remember this book.

Thanks that's the exact story. I was about to post but thanks for filling in those blanks. Al did day it was a very minor tear on each page. I thought a 7.0 Blue would be better than a 9.0 Green.

I would def not sell it for $500. Book means too much to me to go that low. I was hoping the $1500 to $2 range.

Again not sure if I will sell want to just get a taste of what people thought the market might be.

I'll keep everyone up to date if I put it up and where.

tmnt170_zpsaad57b1b.jpg

I remember this book.

Thanks that's the exact story. I was about to post but thanks for filling in those blanks. Al did day it was a very minor tear on each page. I thought a 7.0 Blue would be better than a 9.0 Green.

I would def not sell it for $500. Book means too much to me to go that low. I was hoping the $1500 to $2 range.

Again not sure if I will sell want to just get a taste of what people thought the market might be.

I'll keep everyone up to date if I put it up and where.

GLWTS, hope you get more out of it.

I was only providing my opinion as requested. I have bought and sold over 2 dozen copies of this book and sold 4 to boardies alone in the last two months (grades ranging from 5.0-9.0).

FYI - the story is nice (especially since you so serendipitously didn't have to post it yourself), but it may sell better raw. Incomplete labels sell for far less than complete copies consistently across the hobby. This book isn't any different.

PS - selling it raw is a good idea.

First thing is first......please take me off the list of owning a copy of TMNT #1.

Assuming all you guys know this is my book so just in case anyone cares about where it went I am letting it go at auction right now.

Figure this book could end somewhere around $14-16K. We shall see......

TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 @ComicLink May Auction

Sucks the case somehow got cracked, but who ever wins the book will be getting it in a new holder anyway from CGC since ComicLink got it reholdered for me.

Be fun to see your guys thoughts/opinions on what you think the book will go for at the end. :popcorn:

Hope it finds a good home,

John (SOT)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Secondly I was going to post asking you guys to at least bid my book to a 9.6 level just to ease my anxiety about auctioning this book off.

Was gonna wish you luck on your auction but, dude, that is some sleazy stuff you just said right there (and likely illegal).

I do hear your excitement in your post and feel your anxiety too.

I dig that and understand where you are coming from. The book will totally sell itself.

Perhaps there are better ways to explicate your understandable enthusiasm and anxiety of the sale of your killer book - that's all.

Best of luck on the sale and it finding a happy long term home my man.

Wow I guess I assumed anyone would clearly see the humor when I used the lol icon.

Sorry you guys misunderstood what I thought was clearly an obvious joke. (shrug)

I edited the post to make sure no one takes it the wrong way, etc....

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt