• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,699 posts in this topic

Wow...was checking prices (via comics.gocollect.com) and a cgc 5.0 (matching the grade of my issue in this club) just sold on ebay for $2,700 (Best offer, original listing price $2,999)...well, pretty happy with owning a 'low-grade' issue now :)

:whee:

I also have a 5.0 :cloud9:

Hi All,

Just joined today and thought I'd drop in and say hi. Been a big fan of TMNT my entire life and grew up on the tv series (and spent about 90% of my pocket money on the arcade game, the other 10% on lollies :P).

I don't know why I hadn't looked into comic book collecting until now. I'm hoping to join the illustrious #1 club myself but am a complete noob at all of this. I understand the need for grading and such but haven't found places to check to purchase (apart from Ebay and here) so if people can point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated! (Unfortunately my local stores only deal with new issues, no 2nd handys)

First off - WTTB!! :acclaim:

Pretty cool your first post was here :headbang:

(There is a thread in Comics General to introduce yourself too)

Many fellow TMNT fans in this thread can assist you in finding what your looking for.

Check out the "For Sale Section" thread too

Secondly, I've been to the Chicago show both days now.

Upon my wanderings, especially today......

I started noticing & adding up all the TMNT #1 (1st prints) CGC 9.6s I saw amongst wall books.

I personally counted 5 in total. (....edited, just heard one sold or is being held)

I believe (don't quote me) the lowest was $9,450 and none were over $9,900. Last three years I recall maybe one 9.6 copy & one maybe two 9.4s. (2012 I think I saw just a sole 9.2 or 9.4 #1)

I did not see one 9.8. I think I saw two 9.4s today.

There are a sheet load of #2s on walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda neat seeing so many TMNT #1s around :cloud9:

Movie hype definitely can drive people and sell stuff.

Sorry no linking, just google these:

Comiclink

Worldwide comics

Pedigree Comics

Highgrade Comics

Greg Reese's Rare Comics

Metropolis

Comic Connect

Mycomicshop

Heritage Auction house

Don't know off hand who has what currently - but it will give you a good start. Many of these sites have Auctions periodically, some almost monthly.

First off - WTTB!! :acclaim:

Pretty cool your first post was here :headbang:

(There is a thread in Comics General to introduce yourself too)

Many fellow TMNT fans in this thread can assist you in finding what your looking for.

Check out the "For Sale Section" thread too

Secondly, I've been to the Chicago show both days now.

Upon my wanderings, especially today......

I started noticing & adding up all the TMNT #1 (1st prints) CGC 9.6s I saw amongst wall books.

I personally counted 5 in total. (....edited, just heard one sold or is being held)

I believe (don't quote me) the lowest was $9,450 and none were over $9,900. Last three years I recall maybe one 9.6 copy & one maybe two 9.4s. (2012 I think I saw just a sole 9.2 or 9.4 #1)

I did have not seen one 9.8. I think I saw two 9.4s today.

There are a sheet load of #2s on walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda neat seeing so many TMNT #1s around :cloud9:

Movie hype definitely can drive people and sell stuff.

Thanks for the warm greeting! :grin:

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things here as well as the For Sale section.

Oh how I'd have loved to be in the US in the past few months - plenty of cons going around!

Unfortunately I live down under in good ol' Australia, so it'd cost me a fair penny to get over there which would be better spent towards a 1st print :grin:

Definitely can appreciate Movie hype increasing demand, so it's probably not the best timing for me to get into collecting! :laugh:

Thanks for the resources to check out too. Lots of reading and searching to be done!

Will be interesting to see for sure. Seems like the super high grades have always stayed pretty consistent while the mid grades have been rather explosive. But this is a 9.8 so that might changed things...

Will be interesting to see for sure. Seems like the super high grades have always stayed pretty consistent while the mid grades have been rather explosive. But this is a 9.8 so that might changed things...

I think it is due to the "Explosiveness " of some of those mid grade sales as of late have me thinking this particular 9.8's auction could have higher than expected ending. But again maybe I too am caught up in TMNT fever and just hoping.

(Still boggles my mind we went from Jeff's sole 9.8 for eons it seemed -

to 15 copies chillin on the census now)

(Still boggles my mind we went from Jeff's sole 9.8 for eons it seemed - to 15 copies chillin on the census now)

I know! I remember when his 9.8 came out there was the thought that his might be the only one ever or at best maybe one another...now we're at 15 in no time at all...sheesh

Thought the exact same thing Danny!!

(I was thinking awhile back.......

I recall Jeff telling me years ago about his book, that it was truly such a sharp and clean looking 9.8 - a striking book to see in person. What makes it so special and cool is that he bought all four of his 9.8 books from a local comic store back in the day. (Correct?)

For those that don't know Jeff, he is about as passionate and knowledgable about books as they come. He has some INSANELY scarce, hard to find if they do ever surface, HIGH grade GA butes. Furthermore, the guy is such a salt of the Earth - a chiller. Definitely a Boardie love to meet and shoot the sheet with. (A sharp, straight shooting grader to boot)

Moral of my praising of Jeff (besides he is a guy that deserves to be praised:)

.......If CGC slabbed that, unpressed way back when back when they were in a tighter grading trend for any book let alone this fricken book - that book of Jeff's might have a chance at a 9.9???

Maybe the notes state something that would not make it physically possible or Jeff sees something that he would surmise not garnish that grade.

Coolest thing about our first OO 9.8 in the census is telerites - would more than likely give a rat's arse to even see CGC's thoughts. lol

To the owner of the first and foremost slabbed TMNT #1 9.8 (worship)

I sold my 9.6 wp about a year ago for 8k. Last night on CC a 9.6 went for 7200. For whatever reason(movie hype) the lower grades are selling incredibly higher that they should. I think I saw a 5.0 break 2k. People must like crappy books.

same is true of all keys these days it seems. a 9.6 hulk 181 is only worth a few multiples of a 7.0. And that's on a common book. On a book like this one, the key mid grade price effect is even worse because its tough to get any copy.

The 9.8 is looking like it has a lot of ground to make up in the next 24 hours....

-J.