• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2024 at 5:25 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

It's here! The TMNT: A Collection reproduction! A real beauty:

IMG_1517.thumb.JPG.f6190830af90a74c49f514549e82bfec.JPG

It looks so authentic, are you able to show more photos? Mine is on its way but I am very excited to see how it looks like!

On 5/13/2024 at 1:24 PM, sorrenmj said:

It looks so authentic, are you able to show more photos? Mine is on its way but I am very excited to see how it looks like!

Sorry, I wasn't around much yesterday, but I'm glad you got yours!

On 5/16/2024 at 12:13 AM, eastbayrudy said:

Get mine today. Cant wait! 

I read mine today! I wanted to read it straight from the press because I wanted to imagine what a first print might have looked like as a new comic, with the artwork and white newsprint not affected by time! As of right now this printing is probably the most affordable way to get a copy of this cover in the original magazine format, and I am afraid to read my second, third and all other printings - so I am using this printing as a reader to enjoy!

On 5/15/2024 at 4:17 PM, sorrenmj said:

I read mine today! I wanted to read it straight from the press because I wanted to imagine what a first print might have looked like as a new comic, with the artwork and white newsprint not affected by time! As of right now this printing is probably the most affordable way to get a copy of this cover in the original magazine format, and I am afraid to read my second, third and all other printings - so I am using this printing as a reader to enjoy!

How was the condition of yours...my spine came pretty messed up. Kind of disappointing considering the almost $150 price tag and high print run. Ah, whatever...

On 5/17/2024 at 5:52 PM, eastbayrudy said:

How was the condition of yours...my spine came pretty messed up. Kind of disappointing considering the almost $150 price tag and high print run. Ah, whatever...

I got mine from the Mini-con drop, and their packing wasn't the best. Looking mine over, it seems to be ok, but it could have been packed safer, it was pretty loose inside that box and in a cheap bag and board. I know based on the info that all issues seem to have some little imperfections that came from the printing process, so I knew it wouldn't be "perfect" based on all the disclaimers I read, and honestly, that's ok with me.

I agree it was a high-ish price point for sure, but I took into account the sheer amount of work it took to even get this thing made at all - it definitely seemed like a labor of love from the people putting in the work and time. And my copy isn't going anywhere anyway, so I'm not going to sweat any possible imperfections (and again, on my copy, it was pretty clean). I need to find a nice mylar magazine sized bag and board for mine, or some kind of cool magazine sized clam-shell - I don't plan to have it graded because I want the opportunity to open and read it when I want like @sorrenmj mentioned with his, since I can't read my graded copy obviously.

That said, I'd say if yours is badly messed up, I'd reach out to them - there's a difference between accepting small imperfections and settling for a damaged copy for sure.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 7:11 PM, Ryan. said:

I got my copy from Rich's website and it's a 9.6/9.8.

I do wish I would have waited - the Mini-con shipping was pretty egregious. They charged $125 for the book instead of $100, and then like $17 for what ended up being ground advantage shipping, so like $5-7 in shipping costs. All told, I paid $142 for the book...

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Maybe Jetpack is a little scummy though? They're currently selling this book (the red "TMNT: A Collection" cover) for $150 plus $17 shipping on eBay right now. Seems like a little bit of a scam from them between this and the Mini-con $125+$17 shipping sale when it's supposed to be @rich_TMNT's cover, billed as "Available exclusively from TMNT: A Collection. Limited to 9,275 copies (combination of print runs for Mirage TMNT #1 1st & 2nd Printing)." Now I really wish I'd waited to buy directly from Rich's site and get a better product and better service... At least it's still a great project and worth supporting.

Everyone here has made some good points. I know there was a disclaimer about imperfections but mine looks way worse than imperfections. My package from Mini-Con was also not packaged the best and for $142 shipped for a beat up book Is a little ridiculous. I guess I will just keep it as a reader copy or something. I love the story behind the book and the work that went in to it but it does seem like they were just taking advantage of the situation. Not even the 3-pack from Kevin Eastman was that expensive. You got 3 awesome books in great condition and packed extremely well for $100!

On 5/17/2024 at 6:57 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Maybe Jetpack is a little scummy though? They're currently selling this book (the red "TMNT: A Collection" cover) for $150 plus $17 shipping on eBay right now. Seems like a little bit of a scam from them between this and the Mini-con $125+$17 shipping sale when it's supposed to be @rich_TMNT's cover, billed as "Available exclusively from TMNT: A Collection. Limited to 9,275 copies (combination of print runs for Mirage TMNT #1 1st & 2nd Printing)." Now I really wish I'd waited to buy directly from Rich's site and get a better product and better service... At least it's still a great project and worth supporting.

Hi! Just wanted to give some insights about the Jetpack pricing on my cover (the original classic red Eastman). Jetpack and I traded a very small amount of each of our covers and then we agreed if we sold the other's cover, we'd charge more for them than they were going for at the other's store. That's why Jetpack has my cover for $125 on their site. The reason for the $150 on eBay is simply the fees eBay charges per sale.

Regarding the condition of the books, unfortunately we're seeing a LOT of damage per case of books (partly due to the old equipment used to manufacture and partly due to the really thin/light paper stock used for the cover). It's unfortunate but I'm still usually able to get some really good books from every box. But sometimes a box of 50 copies has only around 10 copies that I'm comfortable selling as NM (9.2-9.7) - and I had one a couple days ago that had no NM copies inside. For my sales, I personally inspect every copy to ensure what gets shipped out is really nice. I'm hoping that down the line I'll be able to sell the damaged copies at a discount (many of which are very lightly damaged by small cover dent or light crease). If I can get approval to do that then those copies would still be incredible collectibles and would be awesome for framing (if only the back is damaged) or for reading.

If the Jetpack copies arrive damaged due to packaging or transit I'd definitely reach out to them - that damage should be eligible for a replacement. I've had a few damage claims already on the books I've sold and that's just the way it is sometimes - even though I really try to pack them well. But I only use USPS Priority Mail because that comes with insurance and it's typically handled much better than Ground Advantage (and definitely better than Media Mail). Damage claims with Priority Mail are also typically much easier to get approved.

Hope that info. helps - and thanks to everyone that's supported this incredible project! :smile:

On 5/18/2024 at 1:35 AM, rich_TMNT said:

Hi! Just wanted to give some insights about the Jetpack pricing on my cover (the original classic red Eastman). Jetpack and I traded a very small amount of each of our covers and then we agreed if we sold the other's cover, we'd charge more for them than they were going for at the other's store. That's why Jetpack has my cover for $125 on their site. The reason for the $150 on eBay is simply the fees eBay charges per sale.

Regarding the condition of the books, unfortunately we're seeing a LOT of damage per case of books (partly due to the old equipment used to manufacture and partly due to the really thin/light paper stock used for the cover). It's unfortunate but I'm still usually able to get some really good books from every box. But sometimes a box of 50 copies has only around 10 copies that I'm comfortable selling as NM (9.2-9.7) - and I had one a couple days ago that had no NM copies inside. For my sales, I personally inspect every copy to ensure what gets shipped out is really nice. I'm hoping that down the line I'll be able to sell the damaged copies at a discount (many of which are very lightly damaged by small cover dent or light crease). If I can get approval to do that then those copies would still be incredible collectibles and would be awesome for framing (if only the back is damaged) or for reading.

If the Jetpack copies arrive damaged due to packaging or transit I'd definitely reach out to them - that damage should be eligible for a replacement. I've had a few damage claims already on the books I've sold and that's just the way it is sometimes - even though I really try to pack them well. But I only use USPS Priority Mail because that comes with insurance and it's typically handled much better than Ground Advantage (and definitely better than Media Mail). Damage claims with Priority Mail are also typically much easier to get approved.

Hope that info. helps - and thanks to everyone that's supported this incredible project! :smile:

Thanks Rich, appreciate the insight! I shouldn't have jumped straight to the worst case scenario, and I apologize to Jetpack for that. It really is an incredible project and book - hats off to you!