• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Good luck, Moetown!

I posted this over in the OA section, but I figured it'd be appreciated here too.

My fiancée and I will be out of town for Christmas, so we decided to exchange gifts early. She really outdid herself this time by not only commissioning this at a show months ago and keeping in contact with the artist via email, but she also convinced him to do a group shot. Michael Dooney rarely does group shots because they feel "too much like real work". To say I was surprised to see this would be an understatement.

TMNTDooney-Team.jpg

Michael told me he'd likely be making a print of this for a show in 2011. I'm hoping it's a show I'm attending. :wishluck:

Michael Dooney is an awesome individual as well as an artist. Had the pleasure of meeting him last year at Heroes and getting a Fairchild sketch from him. Did you happen to see that pizza box he did a group shot on and sold on Ebay? It was amazing!

I am new to submitting but so far I have been damn near spot on with my estimated grades, besides this #1. I thought for sure it would be a 8.0 at worst. Regardless it is what it is, and I have come to terms with that. The only thing I can do from here is get more #1s! :idea:

Deciding now whether or not I want to take down my auction and submit the other #1.

Scanned through the cgc case. disregard white dots

75F.jpg

75B.jpg

I'd be hard-pressed to go 8.0 on it just with the color breaking creases. I think 7.5 looks about right to me :shrug:

Still, great looking book in a solid grade--and as Adam pointed out, there really isn't that significant of a difference value-wise between the VF- and the VF. (thumbs u

I should stop listening to my less knowledgeable buddies and stick here. I felt ripped off when everyone was telling me 8.0 - 8.5 . But like I said, I've come to terms with it and its cool. Just gotta still search for that better grade to press.

11.0? Jerk. lol

Edited by DJB

Looks like someone paid $1,650 for the counterfeit that was on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1st-PRINT-VERY-RARE-VF-/280592493567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41549dabff

Somehow the seller went down from the $3,000+ price tag he used to have.

What do you guys think?

-Pete

At the advertised VF+ grade, the price is too high even for an authentic copy, especially a raw one. I tend to believe that this is a counterfeit as well and I'd have been willing to pay well for it, but far less than his $3K asking price. I also know that others have contacted him to tell him that it's not VF+ and likely not authentic and have been met with rudeness, so I didn't even bother.

I wish the buyer luck.

Looks like someone paid $1,650 for the counterfeit that was on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1st-PRINT-VERY-RARE-VF-/280592493567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41549dabff

Somehow the seller went down from the $3,000+ price tag he used to have.

What do you guys think?

-Pete

i dunno, I tend to want to call wildly_fanciful_statement on this. I want to believe that someone willing to pay that much for the book would know enough to atleast call its authenticity into question.

I'm thinking either someone is running a scam on someone here, or the bidder KNOWS its a fake and was willing to pay that price for it.

I was hoping it would never sell. The seller knew it was a fake, as a few of us have contacted him.

But one could assume the seller originally purchased this book thinking it was authentic, and just looking to pass off his mistake to another to make.

I was hoping it would never sell. The seller knew it was a fake, as a few of us have contacted him.

But one could assume the seller originally purchased this book thinking it was authentic, and just looking to pass off his mistake to another to make.

The funny thing is that there is a strong enough market for counterfeits that the guy probably could have flipped the book a LOOOONG time ago at a decent price had he just been honest.

Like when I purchased my counterfeit Gobbledygook 1 and 2. The guy was up front and honest with what they were, and I paid him well for them. No fuss!

Edited by Archon_Turtle

All my thoughts exactly, but $1,650 for a fake? That is pretty darn desperate, it's not even graded.

If it just went down the way (I don't want to believe) it went down, that means the fake is as worth basically as much as the original one. :o

I offered the guy $500 for it a few months ago, I wanted it really bad. Fox and the grapes!

-Pete

I never understood a premium value for a counterfeit, despite how many were made or how long ago. to each their own I guess.

I'd image anyone could duplicate a counterfeit fairly cheap.

I get your point completely DJB. However, I got stuck with a counterfeit, paid WAY too much for it, thinking it was the real thing, and realized a few years later what happened.

I guess it's sort of like getting a horrible sexually transmitted disease (what to do with it?). Or, it could be compared to getting bad plastic surgery.

Now that I have one, and am stuck with it, I would rather have one in better condition, to make me feel better.

Other than that, I wouldn't give a rat'sass about that book.

-Pete

the lesson learned:

protect yourself with rubber and plastic = condom and cgc graded.

I get your point completely DJB. However, I got stuck with a counterfeit, paid WAY too much for it, thinking it was the real thing, and realized a few years later what happened.

I guess it's sort of like getting a horrible sexually transmitted disease (what to do with it?). Or, it could be compared to getting bad plastic surgery.

Now that I have one, and am stuck with it, I would rather have one in better condition, to make me feel better.

Other than that, I wouldn't give a rat'sass about that book.

-Pete

hahaha.

My point was not understanding why people would INTENTIONALLY PURCHASE a counterfeit.

In your case Pete, I can see it was a case of simply not knowing any better.

And that #1 was like a STD. The seller felt so bad he received it himself, he thought he'd feel better if he passed it on to someone else.