• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,381 posts in this topic

It all depends on what you're looking at.

The Gold Turtlemania only has 10 copies...not put out by Mirage, but still considered by many as a highly collectible TMNT book.

The TMNT X-rated book "The Birds and the Bees" had 50 copies but given the nature of the content, I'm not sure if it was ever available commercially.

Gobbledygook #1&2 have 50 copies each and were put out by Mirage. Never sold commercially and some question the importance due to the only TMNT aspect is the ad on the back.

#3 NYC variant has 500 copies at best. This stack was pulled from the printer early to be distributed at a con. Some say they don't get why it's so sought after, but the story behind it is well-known amongst TMNT collectors and variants weren't as common then as they are now.

#4 2nd print error has 800-1000 (or less). Originally, 60,000 were printed...all but 800-1000 were destroyed once the error was caught.

I should of stated the rarest MIRAGE TMNT book.

I know of all the others and there print counts, its just none of those other books were actually published by Mirage.

Not including the Gobbedlys because its not TMNT.

Yea i know how rare it is, but really its just not that interesting to me. Its a decent size run for a misprint and honestly I think it looks ugly compared to the "actual" copy. The story is the same and the book does not have anything truly significant inside. Honestly the book easily sells for 4X's a normal copy is similar condition.

Maybe I was just burned too badly from all those stupid variant editions I bought back in the 90s...

Maybe I was just burned too badly from all those stupid variant editions I bought back in the 90s...

I'm betting that has something to do with it, but to be fair, this not only came out well before the variant craze of the 90's, but it was an unintentional variant. Without having a normal edition to compare this to, I can see how the missing light blue color on the cover can fly under the radar. A big portion of the reason I like it is because it has a small story behind it. Most variants are around just to sell more copies, but this one was a pure accident.

I'm betting that has something to do with it, but to be fair, this not only came out well before the variant craze of the 90's, but it was an unintentional variant. Without having a normal edition to compare this to, I can see how the missing light blue color on the cover can fly under the radar. A big portion of the reason I like it is because it has a small story behind it. Most variants are around just to sell more copies, but this one was a pure accident.

hm (thumbs u

I also totally get where you're coming from. I collected variants like crazy for ASM, New Avengers, and Astonishing X-men a few years back. When New Ways to Die came about in ASM, I had to stop. Haven't touched a new variant since. :ohnoez:

I completely feel the same way about this book, and the 90s craze of variants. It's the fact that it was an accident that makes it seem more desirable to own a copy, or 2, or 3. :grin: I've owned 3 ;)

Edited by DJB

I don't think I've posted to this thread before, so I'll apologize if these items already appear in the 100+ pages of history.

The first is a book I bough over the summer at a used book sale hosted by a local library. All of the pop/pull/twist items inside still work!

TMNT1.jpg

TMNT2.jpg

I found this little nugget at a flea market last summer, but I never got around to scanning for the antique mall/garage sale/flea market thread.

I was looking through a box that primarily contained sci-fi/fantasy art magazines when I came across this (the post-its were not included, just trying to maintain some privacy for the original owner):

front.jpg

The return address sparked my interest, so I flipped it over:

back.jpg

And finally, the prize inside:

group.jpg

Leo.jpg

I'm not sure how often these things turn up, but I was very happy to find them with the original mailer. It would have been nice if a thank you letter was included, or something on Mirage letterhead, but it's still a nice grouping.