• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,392 posts in this topic

AH! So why is the fake #2 part of it, that makes no sense?

Out of everyone I know, you seemed like you'd be "crazy" enough to pay an arm and a leg for that one. :D I wonder how the heck someone talked him down from 3K to 1.5K.

Also if the fake #2 is part of the set, shouldn't all the versions/misprints/2nd 3rd printings etc be part of the set too? hm

It was listed as part of the registry because the person who owned the graded #2 counterfeit requested it be added to the registry. He never owned a graded #1 counterfeit, so it's not listed on the registry.

And to my knowledge, all the issues save for the #5 2nd print and the 2009 reprints are in the registry, including 2nd and 3rd prints. If there are any that are missing, please feel free to speak up as if they aren't there, I may not know about them.

Click on the link in my sig line for quick access to the registry.

And you're right, I am a little crazy for this TMNT stuff...just not that crazy. :ohnoez:

I see now, it wasn't like that a few months ago, I wonder who added all those? :P

Also I am seeing the one-shots there which is really weird, and Fugitoid.

I guess whoever made sure those were there, had them already, and wants to make sure they stay in the lead with percentages : )

The only thing I don't see is the double-cover 3 and other weird stuff. But it seems there's enough double cover 3's out there to sort of make it legit on it's own.

Here's the TMNT set in case anyone is interested:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetScoreDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=875

-Pete

Most of the additions in the last year were likely me. There won't be a spot in the registry if there are no graded copies on census (hence the #5 2nd print). Whenever I had a copy graded that was previously ungraded, I asked for a slot to be added. I was going for completeness.

There are 2 sets: a 1-4 set and a 1-62 set. I feel like the 1-4 set is great the way it is. It's elegant in that it only takes into account the 1st prints first 4 issues. They're all the same size and both feature work by only Eastman & Laird. The 1-62 feels more like a "here's everything" set. Therefore, anything pertaining directly to the story being told in volume 1 should be included, including all printings.

I don't know why you'd find the inclusion of the one-shots weird, but they have been there since well before I participated in the registry. The Raph and Leo 1-shots play directly into the main storyline of volume 1:

-The Raphael 1-shot introduces Casey Jones, a core character in the series.

-The Leo 1-shot IS part of the story. It may as well have been issue #10 but since it's so Leo-focused, they decided to make it his 1-shot. There is no disconnect between the Leo 1-shot and issue #10, they tell 2 parts of the same story. Why not add it in?

-The Mikey 1-shot doesn't add much to the overall story being told in volume 1, but it develops Mike's character much more than he has been in previous issues (Laird's favorite is Don, Eastman's is Raph, and Leo is the leader, so Mike always got left out when it came to character development) and it introduces the Klunk character.

-The Don 1-shot again doesn't do much for the overall story, but it does introduce Kirbyworld, a key component of April's backstory.

As for the Fugitoid issue, it not only introduces another core character (Professor Honeycutt/Fugitoid), but it once again ties in directly to the story being told. At the end of issue #4, the TMNT are teleported to a distant planet right between a mob of soldiers and a robot. The Fugitoid issue recaps the events leading up to the appearance of the TMNT and leads into issue #5. Plus, it's another all Eastman/Laird collaboration.

As for asking for only additions that I already owned, I was more going for completeness than anything else. A good example was when I asked for the remaining printings of #1 be added. I asked for that months ago and only got my copy of the Gamestop variant less than 2 weeks ago when I stumbled upon it at Gem City. I've also asked for the 2nd print #5 to be added...that's when I was told that issues with no graded copies will not be added. I'd like this 1-62 set to be a record of all the books from volume 1, so I wouldn't be helping anything by omitting ones I don't own.

There are quite a few double covers of the first few issues out there, but double covers are printing anomalies and not actual variants so they're not counted as individual slots in this or any registry that I'm aware of. Some would say that the 2nd print #4 error variant or the #3 NYCC variant were also "printing anomalies", but the difference is this: both of the latter examples had the same error happen to the entire print run and the difference is noticeable. Double covers happened randomly throughout the printing process and if one felt so inclined, the outer cover would be removed to change the book to the intended state. The same is not true of the #3 or #4 variants.

I'm currently striving for a complete high-grade run of volume 1. It's especially exciting to me because it looks like no one has done it before. I appreciate the support/razzing I get for the collection (Off-White pages on my #2, anyone? :tonofbricks: ) and I've found TMNT fans to be among the friendliest and most passionate in the hobby. I <3 you guys!

I think your collection deserves a museum of itself. I can't knock you for wanting to complete it because it just screams devotion and dedication to me. Sort of like getting your whole body tattooed.

The reason I think the one-shots in the set are "weird", is simple. The set is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1-#62, so it's a bit misleading. Unless the one shots are considered #1.5, #6.7 etc...then I hereby propose the set to be renamed to "I like turtles"

: )

-Pete

The reason I think the one-shots in the set are "weird", is simple. The set is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1-#62, so it's a bit misleading. Unless the one shots are considered #1.5, #6.7 etc...then I hereby propose the set to be renamed to "I like turtles"

I can see what you mean about the naming. The set was originally TMNT 1-11 (or 1-15, I can't remember). Anyway, it encompassed only books that Eastman and Laird had a direct hand in creating. #12 was all Dooney and #16 was all Martin, but besides those, Eastman or Laird had at least something to do with the first 21 issues (and the one-shots). It eventually expanded into what it is now.

Personally, I think a better name for it would just be "TMNT Volume 1". That would leave it easy to differentiate between Mirage's Volume 2, Image's Volume 3, and Mirage's incomplete volume 4. IDW has the comics now, so I'm guessing they'll be considered Volume 5.

And we should only rename it "I like turtles" if I can add this picture to the set description:

i-like-turtles.jpg

Taken from SlickDeals:

TMNT blu ray film collection $28 in store for B&N members with coupon

Barnes & Noble has 40% off Kids Blu Ray films: http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?srt=SA&SZE=10&store=ALL&dref=1050&are f=1524&PRO=459&cds2Pid=22038&linkid=1699005 [barnesandnoble.com

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Blu Ray Collection is on "sale" for $38.99

see here: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/D...ja+turtles

Then, use the $8 off blu ray coupon (for members only)

see here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ema...-_-Primary

Then save an additonal 10% for using your Barnes & Noble membership card.

My grand total in store was $27.09 plus tax. It is currently $76 on Amazon.

I'm not sure if it will work online, but definitely works in store.

Very cool. If I had a Blu-Ray player, I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat.

In regards to adding books to the #1-62, I had made a post about a year ago in the forums that clarified which books were missing or mislabeled. I listed each print for #1 with the years produced as a few of them were wrongly labeled.

About a week after a few books were in the list that weren't registered yet.

I think there are still some tweaks that need to be made to that list.

Ex. - two spots are there for 5th print #1.

Also, I agree with labeling it Volume 1, and keeping the one shots in there. I don't see any other way it should be then what it actually is.

Edited by DJB

Anyone know if Peter or Kevin are showing up anywhere this year? There's this post:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4495238&nt=36&fpart=37

But maybe someone has some insider information (or is stalking them)? I am starting to feel like they'll NEVER show up anywhere, anymore ???

-Pete

Peter won't be showing up at a show anytime in the foreseeable future. He's been distancing himself from the TMNT ever since he sold the franchise in 2009. His last big show was NYCC 2009, but he probably did a Free Comic Book Day signing somewhere in the North East.

Kevin lives in California and typically does SDCC. He also does NYCC regularly, but missed last year's show because of a scheduling conflict. In the past, he's been at Golden Apple Comics during Free Comic book day, but I'm not sure if he's scheduled for it this year.

To my knowledge, the only guy from Mirage still making regular appearances is Michael Dooney. Lawson, Lavigne, Talbot, Berger, and Brown to my knowledge didn't do any shows in 2010. :(

The set was originally TMNT 1-11 (or 1-15, I can't remember)

Yep, it was originally 1-11, as I made the request once a few of the non 1-4 issues started being slabbed (and I started picking them up). The idea at the time was to have those first "classic" eastman and laird books in a set while leaving the 1-4 magazine sized set alone. Then a few other slabs started poping up so I had it extended to 1-15. Then even more of the later slabs came out and I opened it to about 1-44 while also have the 4 Micro issues and maybe a few 2nd prints.

Thats roughly around the time when Adam BURST on the scene :applause:(worship) and soon the set was overflowing with goodies. Great job by the way!

Hey gang, I thought you might like this.

I recently brokered the sale of a copy of Barbaric Fantasy #1 (Peter Lairds first self published work) for Steve Murphy (writer of a vast majority of TMNTA).

As a loose form of payment, Steve agreed to sign his entire catalog of TMNTA books for me. So I sent him 85 books! And he got them back to me yesterday!

Thought I'd share the photo album :-)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/The%20Collection/Comics/Steve%20Murphy%20Signed%20TMNTA/

The other signature on many of the books is that of Ken Mitchroney, lead artist of the book for many of the early issues.

Hey gang, I thought you might like this.

I recently brokered the sale of a copy of Barbaric Fantasy #1 (Peter Lairds first self published work) for Steve Murphy (writer of a vast majority of TMNTA).

As a loose form of payment, Steve agreed to sign his entire catalog of TMNTA books for me. So I sent him 85 books! And he got them back to me yesterday!

Thought I'd share the photo album :-)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/The%20Collection/Comics/Steve%20Murphy%20Signed%20TMNTA/

The other signature on many of the books is that of Ken Mitchroney, lead artist of the book for many of the early issues.

Wow that is a lot of signed books! Congrats man!

The set was originally TMNT 1-11 (or 1-15, I can't remember)

Yep, it was originally 1-11, as I made the request once a few of the non 1-4 issues started being slabbed (and I started picking them up). The idea at the time was to have those first "classic" eastman and laird books in a set while leaving the 1-4 magazine sized set alone. Then a few other slabs started poping up so I had it extended to 1-15. Then even more of the later slabs came out and I opened it to about 1-44 while also have the 4 Micro issues and maybe a few 2nd prints.

Thats roughly around the time when Adam BURST on the scene :applause:(worship) and soon the set was overflowing with goodies. Great job by the way!

Thanks for the clarification and the compliment. I couldn't have built my collection without your help and you continue to be a never-ending source of TMNT info for myself and all other. I appreciate the help! (worship)

Kevin Eastman sold his rights to the TMNT years ago and he's still happy to sign for fans. Laird is taking a break more for personal reasons. From what I gather, after years of drawing mostly the TMNT, he feels he lost his flare (for lack of a better word) for art and I think he's trying to reconnect with that while at the same time just relaxing and enjoying life in general.