• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Nice! Is that a new commission?

huh?... Its a sketch I had him do from when ever he was at eccc last :D Anyways I will be sad if I don't see jim put to work on the new series at some point!

I was asking if it was a new commission because it's one I've never seen before and I hadn't seen anything new by him in a while. He stopped updating his blog shortly after doing some commissions for me and I was curious if he started up again.

TMNTLawson.jpg

Yeah I've not really seen much of anything since PL sold I think I remember him saying something online like he is done now or some such... I think peter selling really sort of hurt him for some reason hurt me too I loved those books lol I hope he gets over his writers block at some point & comes back & finishes off the last arc he was working on at least ...

Point of interest:

I can confirm that the person who purchased the Turtlemania Gold 9/10 (he also purchased a high grade white and silver at the same time) is the same buyer that purchased the set of Gobbledygooks for 16k not too long ago...

I want his checkbook.

I want books that I can sell to him.

right?

It's pretty nutty. This dude splashes onto the scene and starts throwing down major coin to do in a matter of weeks what the other major collectors have taken years to do.

Kinda takes the fun out of it if you ask me... but to each their own.

Looks like the gold is now on ebay with back cover sketch showing and a neat promo flyer from that day when the golds were released for the cool price of $6,999:

TMNT Gold

I didn't know these could be slabbed with a grade

Yup. There are 3 on census.

Gobbledygooks are the ones that they won't grade.

$200 for the TMNT #2 in CGC 9.8 - that's a new all-time GPA low :eek:

How funny is this, got an e-mail yesterday saying I won this but they haven't received payment for 3 weeks yet. I never got a previous e-mail letting me know I won and since I hadn't heard anything I thought that my low ball bids didn't win anything (note: #1 (1st print), #1 (2nd print) and #2 (1st print) are the only ones in the regular series with a low print run, after these the print runs when to 50k and more). Now I have to send out my payment Monday. Woop woop! Should go nice with my #2 (1st print) 9.6 OW-W Original Owner copy as well as my #3 (1st print) 9.6/9.6 double cover.

I see there is a bid for one for $500 for a 9.8 #2 (1st print) and one sold for $358.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Been absent from one of my favorite threads for too long.

First: I'm actually pretty jazzed about the new TMNT art. It definitely picks up some of the grittier, edgier feel that the old issues had and with Eastman helping steer the ship, I think this could be a really solid book. My only concern is if they'll end up toning it down a bit since it will be coinciding with the Nickelodeon cartoon release and a more violent, less friendly TMNT might cause some backlash? But definitely a book I'll be curious to look into. And having Sam Keith working on TMNT??? CanNOT wait to see his take on The Shredder. Hello?!?

Second: Adam, as always... you're killing me with the OA. Like others, that Mikey is friggin' tight! It just reminds me more and more how I seriously need to add some Turtle sketches to my little OA collection. I know you have your Dark Avengers Green Goblin thing going, and it's really impressive... but sheesh, the TMNT stuff you have is pretty sweet.

Third: Saw the 9.6 (Q) TMNT #1 on eBay. And you know what? What a joke. Not the book but the whole qualified thing. You've got a 9.6 book there which clearly has legit signatures on it. doh! It usually doesn't bother me but sometime... sometimes examples like this just point out how the slab can commodify the books and artificially inflate the price. If I was jonesing for a 9.6 copy, I'd go after that one for a bargain price (of course, much of that depends on one's acceptance of signatures on books--a whole other beast).

Anybody know anything about this Turtles TPB from 1988?

Rare TMNT Collected Book Volume 1 Ninja Turtles 1988 SC - someone asking $1400 on eBay

It's the softcover with B&W wraparound cover, first printing. I've got a consignor who has one, signed by Eastman & Laird w/ one other signature he hasn't identified.

I'm trying to get an idea of the pricing. I've searched, and also paged through about half of this thread, and didn't see any mentions. Any idea what this sells for?

Adam--didn't you buy one here on the board for a much lower price than this (I'm thinking a few hundred bucks at most). I could be off my rocker on this one, but I have the feeling this book is WELL over priced.

Anybody know anything about this Turtles TPB from 1988?

Rare TMNT Collected Book Volume 1 Ninja Turtles 1988 SC - someone asking $1400 on eBay

I have seen the 1st print softcover sell on ebay for anywhere between $65 to about $240. It just depends on the condition and frankly who's bidding at the time. Most of the time it is around either $70 for a Fine condition one and around $140 for a nicer VF/NM copy. Most of the SC copies are not signed, so that is a plus for your copy.

The limited hardcover version had a print run of just 1000 and was signed and numbered by Eastman and Laird. It goes for around $280 to around $600 from what I have seen.

Does anyone know the print runs for the softcover editions (1st 1998, 2nd 1990, and 3rd print 2009)?

First: I'm actually pretty jazzed about the new TMNT art. It definitely picks up some of the grittier, edgier feel that the old issues had and with Eastman helping steer the ship, I think this could be a really solid book. My only concern is if they'll end up toning it down a bit since it will be coinciding with the Nickelodeon cartoon release and a more violent, less friendly TMNT might cause some backlash? But definitely a book I'll be curious to look into. And having Sam Keith working on TMNT??? CanNOT wait to see his take on The Shredder. Hello?!?

Second: Adam, as always... you're killing me with the OA. Like others, that Mikey is friggin' tight! It just reminds me more and more how I seriously need to add some Turtle sketches to my little OA collection. I know you have your Dark Avengers Green Goblin thing going, and it's really impressive... but sheesh, the TMNT stuff you have is pretty sweet.

Third: Saw the 9.6 (Q) TMNT #1 on eBay. And you know what? What a joke. Not the book but the whole qualified thing. You've got a 9.6 book there which clearly has legit signatures on it. doh! It usually doesn't bother me but sometime... sometimes examples like this just point out how the slab can commodify the books and artificially inflate the price. If I was jonesing for a 9.6 copy, I'd go after that one for a bargain price (of course, much of that depends on one's acceptance of signatures on books--a whole other beast).

Hey Forrest!

Color me happy just for having a new TMNT book to look forward to. :) The stuff I've seen shows promise and I really hope it delivers. :wishluck:

Thanks for the compliments. I get pretty lucky with some of this stuff. Sometimes it just comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

While I don't disagree with you on the Qualified book, it's tough to call it a "bargain price". At the given asking price (10K), it's still $3,000 over the previous sale of a 9.6 recorded by GPA and while it's true that it's the cheapest 9.6 on ebay as the listing claims, one must consider that his competitor is ComicMylars, a seller well-known for very high asking prices.

As for the book in question, I did not buy that particular book, buy the '88 Hardcover and the Deluxe Edition hardcover from the boards a few months back. I don't know much about the ebay seller "collectible_entertainment", but I always see their stuff first when I look for TMNT stuff and sort from highest price to lowest price. To give you an example, their Challenges hardcover is valued around $20 brand new, they're asking $400. They're asking $894 dollars for the Body Count book with a headsketch in it by Eastman. Eastman was selling them himself at the Heavy Metal booth a few years back for less than $20 but given the scarcity now along with the sketch, it's around $100 on a good day. Take all their prices with a grain of salt and if you're looking to actually sell the book, price it substantially lower. My 2c

Hey Forrest!

Color me happy just for having a new TMNT book to look forward to. :) The stuff I've seen shows promise and I really hope it delivers. :wishluck:

Thanks for the compliments. I get pretty lucky with some of this stuff. Sometimes it just comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

While I don't disagree with you on the Qualified book, it's tough to call it a "bargain price". At the given asking price (10K), it's still $3,000 over the previous sale of a 9.6 recorded by GPA and while it's true that it's the cheapest 9.6 on ebay as the listing claims, one must consider that his competitor is ComicMylars, a seller well-known for very high asking prices.

As for the book in question, I did not buy that particular book, buy the '88 Hardcover and the Deluxe Edition hardcover from the boards a few months back. I don't know much about the ebay seller "collectible_entertainment", but I always see their stuff first when I look for TMNT stuff and sort from highest price to lowest price. To give you an example, their Challenges hardcover is valued around $20 brand new, they're asking $400. They're asking $894 dollars for the Body Count book with a headsketch in it by Eastman. Eastman was selling them himself at the Heavy Metal booth a few years back for less than $20 but given the scarcity now along with the sketch, it's around $100 on a good day. Take all their prices with a grain of salt and if you're looking to actually sell the book, price it substantially lower. My 2c

Ok--it was the hardcover you bought? Gotcha--memory got a little fuzzy.

And I have to confess that I posted my response re: the 9.6 (Q) originated in large part from my being in a bit of a cantankerous mood (one of my summer grad classes is REALLY aggravating). I was previously talking with a classmate about the problems with commodification, and I brought up the issue of slabbed and raw comics as an example of how something gets turned into a commodity and outvalues itself from its original state. This is something I typically find more of an interesting occurrence, but by the end of class and being in a bad mood, slabs took a mental beating. lol I'm just glad I'm not home and didn't take it out on any of my certified books! lol

Just won a Turtlemania Special #1 and while flipping through the thing I found out it was really a fan based project! lol. Pretty interesting. What I really love about it was the explanation of the NY "variant" and of course the printing numbers. Really cool stuff. And the fact that a fan based project is in of itself a huge collectible commodity is definitely interesting. hm

Just won a Turtlemania Special #1 and while flipping through the thing I found out it was really a fan based project! lol. Pretty interesting. What I really love about it was the explanation of the NY "variant" and of course the printing numbers. Really cool stuff. And the fact that a fan based project is in of itself a huge collectible commodity is definitely interesting. hm

That isn't ENTIRELY true. Turtlemania was produced by the proprietor of a small shop in Florida at the time called Metropolis comics. He put on an intensely small convention that the book was sold at. Kevin and Peter were monetarily compensated for their contribution, so I don't know that I'd really call it a fan project.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

That isn't ENTIRELY true. Turtlemania was produced by the proprietor of a small shop in Florida at the time called Metropolis comics. He put on an intensely small convention that the book was sold at. Kevin and Peter were monetarily compensated for their contribution, so I don't know that I'd really call it a fan project.

I'm confused, was it put together by Kevin and Peter or by Mirage Studios? Then isn't it the definition of a fan project since it wasn't , even if it was "authorized"?