• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,381 posts in this topic

He's standing behind the letter right here:

Image%202013.08.28%206%3A12%3A05%20PM.png

Let me guess - you think the moon landing was fake as well?

The shadows are facing the wrong direction.

He's standing behind the letter right here:

Image%202013.08.28%206%3A12%3A05%20PM.png

Let me guess - you think the moon landing was fake as well?

That's cool and all but how do you know that the guy in the picture is really Kevin and not a look alike hired to to play Kevin. hm

That's not his house. Also the light is coming from the wrong direction.

If you enhance his pupil and see the reflection in his eye, then follow the reflection of the adjacent mirror on the wall, you will clearly see it's a 1:4 scale stand-up cardboard cutout, and not actually a human, all cleverly staged in 1:4 scale dollhouse.

CHECKMATE

Checkmate indeed. I apologize to Kevin Eastman because I just glanced at the picture and didn't know it was him. I would say it's a very expensive ad page of the turtles, even though it's not considered a comic book. If you can prove something like this, that's fine I guess for the first or second person down the line trying to sell them.

What's stopping someone, down the line, to reproduce those Gobbledygooks and pass the fakes ones as the genuine ones with the signature letters and with the picture of Kevin Eastman of himself?

As the Riddler says, "Riddle me this, riddle me that!" doh!

That's right Batman. That's why I stick with real books. Kevin Eastman should have talked to CGC and just flat out told them "What do I need to do for you guys to accept these Gobbledygooks?" Then it would be slabbed. I guess maybe he tried that and then had to resort to picture taking.

I guess this can go on forever about these Xerox copies, but anyways I apologize to Kevin Eastman once again for not recognizing him in the beginning. Thanks for creating the turtles. I love them. :headbang:

Whoever buys them, have fun and enjoy.

Edited by 4turtles2007

Eastman or Laird verified CGC copies would be awesome.

I always wonder how come an important book like that can't be authenticated properly by a reputable company. They should, since there are probably millions of less important books in comic history that they have to spend their time on, and a few Gooks here and there wouldn't probably take up more than a days worth of time. 2c

What I don't understand is why they'll slab Turtlemania books (which are also single color, xeroxed, hand stapled books) and not GGs.

Few years ago, Kevin look one of my pairs to the cgc table personally and they turned him down.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

What I don't understand is why they'll slab Turtlemania books (which are also single color, xeroxed, hand stapled books) and not GGs.

Few years ago, Kevin look one of my pairs to the cgc table personally and they turned him down.

So Kevin handled your pair, showed them to cgc and they turned him down?

What kind of a sick attempted orgy was this? :insane:

So Kevin handled your pair, showed them to cgc and they turned him down?

What kind of a sick attempted orgy was this? :insane:

Well he IS a close friend so... ;)

Since the topic came up, I thought I would do a quick tutorial about Kevin's signature.

The signatures Kevin uses usually depends on two things.

1) What he is signing.

2) How much time he has.

Each signature obviously varies by small degrees, but there are some basic ones.

There are 3 signatures he regularly uses currently.

1) Separated K - Less Hurried. Normally if you catch him walking down the street or at a small appearance, you'll see this. This was also much more common prior to the Nickelodeon buyout. Since then, his lines have grown in size exponentially.

20130829_152856.jpg

2) Connected K - The "I have a huge line" signature. You see this a lot more since the relaunch of the Turtles. This signature also tends to be "fatter", and he will often stop at "East", though sometimes you still get the "n" at the end.

20130829_161957.jpg

3) Full Name - Personal signature. This signature is really seldom used. He will use it on personal documents (signing Checks for example) or on something he deems really important to him. In this case he used it for a tattoo. These signatures look like he is signing "Kim" Eastman. Which is funny cause that is his fathers name.

100_1386.jpg

Retired Signatures:

There are a few signatures that Kevin has used in the past that he has evolved out of.

"Sharp" Block Letter (Late 80's Early 90's) - This was a typical autograph signature for the period. Sometimes he would include the date, and sometimes include is middle initial. Like his modern signature, there is a slow and a fast version. The slower being the second photo.

20130829_152719.jpg

20130829_155035.jpg

Block Letter EASTMAN (80s/90s) - Mostly used as an art signature, you see this a lot on earlier published Turtles work

20130829_160154.jpg

Stylized KBE (Early 80's) - Another art signature, though I've seen it done in letters to friends as well on occasion. The stylized KBE looks different on almost every piece. This was primarily used PRIOR to Mirage and the Turtles.

20130829_160209.jpg

20130829_160223.jpg

"BROOKS" (Early 80's) - While I don't have a piece within arms length to show right now, Kevin occasionally signed "BROOKS" very early on in his underground career. Brooks is his middle name.

I hope you found this post useful :-)

"BROOKS" (Early 80's) - While I don't have a piece within arms length to show right now, Kevin occasionally signed "BROOKS" very early on in his underground career. Brooks is his middle name.

Here's a BROOKS example :cloud9:

1984Shredder_zps57cbfa59.jpg

Also, here's a very short signature that I have on a couple pieces...(along the top edge, not the signature painted inside, also a classic Long "M" and "N" signature)

TMNTAdventuresPaintedCover.jpg

So jealous of you archon! Love me some turtles. Throwing out a question for you guys. My Turtles 2 is on its way back from CGC, thought it was a 9.6 its coming back 9.4, at least my turtles 4 came back as a 9.6. Just waiting on my 3, it's still under "Graded". So heres my question, should I sell it in a few months at the height of the movie speculation and then wait a year or two for prices to fall so I can get another 9.6/9.8 candidate or just hold onto this one? Thanks for your thoughts!

So jealous of you archon! Love me some turtles. Throwing out a question for you guys. My Turtles 2 is on its way back from CGC, thought it was a 9.6 its coming back 9.4, at least my turtles 4 came back as a 9.6. Just waiting on my 3, it's still under "Graded". So heres my question, should I sell it in a few months at the height of the movie speculation and then wait a year or two for prices to fall so I can get another 9.6/9.8 candidate or just hold onto this one? Thanks for your thoughts!

My 2c and they are mine so don't try and take em...the Canadian government already got rid of the penny.

Get the books before you sell. Why?

You sell today for X amount, by the time you find em they are worth 2X and you can't get them now.

or

You sell today all of a sudden the one you had eyes on goes while the sale finishes up...takes months or a while to find a suitable copy.

I never want to sell a book (that I plan on rebuying) unless I need the funds right away or have the upgraded copy already.

My concern with looking for a candidate right now is that I think many LCS's are already inflating the value due to the movie and TV show. Saw a raw 2 they had as "NM" (Looked 8.5 to me) going for 265 which is ridiculous. So I thought it might be best to get out now and wait till prices drop. Iceman you had a good point though that I might want to hold on.

So I came across this youtube video this evening and was surprised that even though it was posted over 2 1/2 years ago it only had 42 views.

A bit cheesy, but in it he discusses the very first TMNT licensed merchandise. Dark Horse lead miniatures. I posted about these a few years ago and didn't get much response but after seeing the video I'll post some pics. So these were advertised at the bottom on the inside front cover of the very early issues (anyone know which issue or have a scan of the ad? I believe it's in one of the 1st 3 issues or the 1st issue 2nd or 3rd print). I purchased both mine from Graffiti Comics in Culver City, CA (now moved up the street and called Comics Ink) I believe on the release day of the 3rd issue (when I picked up 3 copies), he only had 2 sets pinned onto the wall by the cash register and I picked up both I believe he got them in that day. The retail price as seen in the pics are $3.50. I believe that was early 1985, so the wiki TMNT page that mentions these in 1986 is wrong. In the video he shows the 2nd and 3rd versions and mentions he's never seen a 1st version. Well, here they are. I guess the reason I don't see much mention of them is that they are so rare?

Here's Laird's blog about them: http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/blast-from-past-304-dark-horse-tmnt.html

Here's a set I forgot I had from the third version at the bottom (notice it's not the TMNT but other characters that weren't available on the 1st version) that I must have purchased much later.

140941.jpg.59a915abbfc1b9527ffc19690d7ae51a.jpg

140942.jpg.66f63ff3a374009b5e2e610e45320467.jpg

140943.jpg.362fb322d5271069e89cf9256931af0a.jpg

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)