• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Nice scan, which scanner did you end up buying?

It's a HP Scanjet G311. With these large books, I had to scan them in twice (top and bottom). Then use some Photoshop skillz to make all it one book (not for the faint of heart).

I couldn't imagine buying a $500 scanner that was large enough to do it in one pass, and then end up with a huge battleship in my house, that all it could do is scan stuff. :tonofbricks:

Looks great!!! I am not a fan of signed books (unless its celebs on a photo variant), but I love the way #1s look with the sigs down the side....its the perfect spot. Sometimes I cringe when I see sigs all over those beautiful covers

I'm not biggest SS fan either.

But I have seen some very well done, or well placed sigs on these Boards from time to time.

The book above of toitle's - is one of those!

If I could, I would have that replicated - it is just so perfectly done!!

Hats off to all parties involved getting that done and to toitle!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Big, huge, thanks once again, to PeasOfCrap. I've been collecting turtles books for over 8 years now, but due to hardships (which keep coming still, full force) I had to part with almost every book that I cared about. Here are a few mostly that I've had for years, that I finally got signed.

You've seen this already, second print 9.8 that I paid an arm and a pelvis for years ago, which came back 9.8:

tmnt_1_9.8_2nd.jpg

I just really love this book, not matter what printing, I can stare at it all day. Third print:

tmnt_1_7.5_3rd.jpg

I sent this in to PeasOfCrap, another cracked 9.8, which came back the same, really proud to have a signed first print #2:

tmnt_2_9.8.jpg

Not 9.8, but might want to "upgrade" this first print #3 one day:

tmnt_3_9.4.jpg

NYCC variant, I am seeing a 9.8 SS on the census, but this 9.6 still makes me horny:

tmnt_3_9.6_V.jpg

Couple of double covers:

tmnt_3_9.2_D.jpg

tmnt_3_9.2_D2.jpg

Now... this is my holy grail, I've waited over 6 years for one. At one time I might have killed (a bug or something) for it. I've tried SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to get this book.... that it made me not ever want to collect books any more.

I am sorry to all the people on this forum I begged to help me get this book. I offered over a thousand dollars for it, and probably would have went higher. Don't ask me why I wanted it so bad, because I don't really know, other than it's been impossible for me get. So I bought a bunch that looked "iffy" to me. Some of those "iffy" ones came back and now I am content with not just one, but three Counterfeit #2's:

tmnt_2_9.6_C.jpg

tmnt_2_9.4_C.jpg

tmnt_2_9.0_C.jpg

And you've all seen this sucker before, nothing special, but I hope you know how to tell one by sight. My dummass bought raw turtles FULL PRICE and ended up with a fake. Counterfeit #1's:

tmnt_1_9.2_C.jpg

tmnt_1_7.5_C.jpg

Some of you have said you don't like the sigs, but for me I just think the yellow label looks "juicy" and makes my mouth water.

And @oroku saki, if you are reading this, please excuse any bright yellow nightmares you may have tonight... :sorry:

Can stop smiling at your post Toitle. So epic!

Although I'm very green in the collecting of comics, I thing I have found very quickly is the lack of CGC SS signings outside of the US. Over here in Australia there's only one certification company I know of which is Halo Certifications. I don't even know yet if they'll be at the Armageddon Expo in October down in Melbourne when Kevin is due to be there on the 19th!

It would certainly be a tough call to crack a #1 whilst he's down there and if Halo Certifications being present, especially if I had in my possession a 9.8 CGC graded 1st print. Because HC isn't as well known as CGC (or as prolific) then I'd probably even consider a holiday to the states for a SS signing and crack it there.

As for the signatures, I'm digging down the side of the page to make them stand out more. Peter's sig is going to be a tough one to get; here's hoping they'll start collaborating again a bit more which would give us more opportunities to get both of their sigs at once :D

Edited by Gump24601

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Big, huge, thanks once again, to PeasOfCrap. I've been collecting turtles books for over 8 years now, but due to hardships (which keep coming still, full force) I had to part with almost every book that I cared about. Here are a few mostly that I've had for years, that I finally got signed.

You've seen this already, second print 9.8 that I paid an arm and a pelvis for years ago, which came back 9.8:

tmnt_1_9.8_2nd.jpg

I just really love this book, not matter what printing, I can stare at it all day. Third print:

tmnt_1_7.5_3rd.jpg

I sent this in to PeasOfCrap, another cracked 9.8, which came back the same, really proud to have a signed first print #2:

tmnt_2_9.8.jpg

Not 9.8, but might want to "upgrade" this first print #3 one day:

tmnt_3_9.4.jpg

NYCC variant, I am seeing a 9.8 SS on the census, but this 9.6 still makes me horny:

tmnt_3_9.6_V.jpg

Couple of double covers:

tmnt_3_9.2_D.jpg

tmnt_3_9.2_D2.jpg

Now... this is my holy grail, I've waited over 6 years for one. At one time I might have killed (a bug or something) for it. I've tried SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to get this book.... that it made me not ever want to collect books any more.

I am sorry to all the people on this forum I begged to help me get this book. I offered over a thousand dollars for it, and probably would have went higher. Don't ask me why I wanted it so bad, because I don't really know, other than it's been impossible for me get. So I bought a bunch that looked "iffy" to me. Some of those "iffy" ones came back and now I am content with not just one, but three Counterfeit #2's:

tmnt_2_9.6_C.jpg

tmnt_2_9.4_C.jpg

tmnt_2_9.0_C.jpg

And you've all seen this sucker before, nothing special, but I hope you know how to tell one by sight. My dummass bought raw turtles FULL PRICE and ended up with a fake. Counterfeit #1's:

tmnt_1_9.2_C.jpg

tmnt_1_7.5_C.jpg

Some of you have said you don't like the sigs, but for me I just think the yellow label looks "juicy" and makes my mouth water.

And @oroku saki, if you are reading this, please excuse any bright yellow nightmares you may have tonight... :sorry:

Dude...that is incredible.

I have a quick question about sending in some of the earlier TMNT comics for grading. They are of a bit larger size than regular comics. Does CGC charge the magazine comic rate to grade them? If so, are you allowed to use the 4 free coupons you get with a membership on them or do they not count towards them?
Yes, if I remember correctly CGC will charge you the magazine tier for grading due to the larger size. I believe the coupons are for standard size submissions only. Somebody with a little more expertise in the coupon department might be able to help a little more. ;)

Ah thanks for the reply... I'm not sure if it's worth it then. I was a TMNT fan a long time ago and collected the first 10 issues. The 1st issue is 3rd edition though. Every other one is a first edition. I had put them in bags with a board and haven;t looked at them in 20 years or more. They are in good shape but not sure if they are in the high 9's so to speak. Are the first 4 issues worth grading or should I try to sell them ungraded? I am not a comic book collector and would like to sell them.

First of all, don't write off whether it's worth it or not, yet. I'm in the same situation as you, and though the coupons are good for Standard Tier and must all be used on the same invoice (or order at least), it is on step 3 of the process and seems independent of mag vs. std comic size. Interestingly, even though CGC goes to a lot of trouble of complicating their submissions greatly by breaking out magazine sized comics, they are currently CHEAPER than standard sized:

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

BUT...

The max values are a lot lower, and the coupons are only good for Standard Submissions. So in the end, Turtles collectors are getting shellshocked. I just upgraded on advice from CGC over the phone from Associate to Premium for the coupons thinking my TMNT #3, #4, and #1B would qualify for Standard (aka coupon) but now that I'm seeing that I'm in magazine, this was a waste as magazine Standard maxes at $300.

But it gets weirder (and this is where you guys who have submitted early books could really help us get this straight), the magazine tier doesn't ever drop into 3% FMV. There is no value limit on their $77 walkthrough. So technically, I will save a lot on the #1 assuming it's in the realm of a 9+ (which could be $300+ itself) Can someone with more experience on coupons and submitting these oversized books please give us first hand advice on what tier your TMNT were classified as?

Thanks very much. I guess I can use the coupons on some less valuable comics I kept (ratty Conan #1, Submariner #1)