• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,268 posts in this topic

:news: Attention :news:

For all those who will be at Shellback today:

I expect TMNT cupcakes for my birthday.

That is all.

If I was there I'd get you a big green cupcake!! With ooze on top!

Happy bday bro!!!! Hope you had a blast.

Sorry...just a TMNT themed line

Liar. You gave me the gift of placing that dude behind us who wanted to keep showing us videos of cosplay. The worst gift of all.

Guys I don't collect and have never really dealt with TMNT at all but some folks in Comics General pointed me in the direction of this thread. So, I recently picked up what I THINK is a first print copy of #2 with signatures by both creators on the inside cover. From my research it does look like this is a first print and the sigs APPEAR authentic, but I'd like more experienced collectors to take a look. Also, it only has one staple...looks to be a manufacturing defect as there are no other staple holes. Is this common or a red flag?

Anybody who knows more about TMNT than me (which is probably anyone, lol)...please take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Turtles2.jpg

Turtles2b.jpg

TMNT%202%20cgc%20boards%20A.jpg

Authentic TMNT #2's are the hardest for me to identify. The signatures look legit but that single staple has me a bit concerned (although not an unheard of thing). I have a counterfeit #2 graded by CGC. One of the grading notes on it was that the cover was "matte." But, it looks very similar to my authentic #2 1st print and it feels "matte" to me. Really the only way to know for sure would be to submit your book to CGC and allow them to provide you the results. Wouldn't cost too much. On the up-side...there is some demand from collectors for Mirage TMNT Vol. I #1 and #2 counterfeits...you could likely sell it for a great price if it came back as counterfeit.

Second Printings are denoted on the inside front cover. This one seems to be a first printing. Another test would be to measure it - there are slightly different dimensions of the first and second printing, but I'd have to pull both out myself to tell you what the actual size differences are.

Signatures appear to be real and early ones - likely signed when the book came out.

Hell, if it's a counterfeit, it's probably worth as much as a first print as they are even scarcer!

The signatures look legit to me and consistent with similar signed books I've seen from the '80s. I'd guess it's a legit copy. In my experience, every #2 I've ever owned has a "matte" cover. When I originally bought it in the 80s, I suspected it might be counterfeit. But I think it's just the type of paper that was used on that issue.